1.    #1  
    Apparently Blazer 2.0 was optimized to work thru a proxy that would down sample images and reformat HTML to display clearly ( I never have touched a Treo so i wouldnt know for sure). I understand that you will now be seeing longer waits for pages to D/L since the pages will be downloaded in there full format with Blazer 3. Well for those that wish there was a solution for a high quality proxy I thought I would tell you about T-Mobile's little known proxy.

The Web Accelerator is not widely advertised. It works very well, and reduces page loading time dramatically. It requires no software on your end, and all the compression is done from the head end. The accelerator is available to those on the unlimited GPRS data plans, both in the internal IP flavor and the external (VPN) IP flavor. Both options are $19.99. The proxy configuration screen appears if you go to http://getmorespeed.t-mobile.com/ (unless you are connected to the T-Mobile GPRS network the link wont work), and it gives you many options. You can toggle the proxy off or on, choose which type of screen to format pages too, and choose the level of compression. It is an absolutely awesome solution for those wanting snappier web browsing via wireless data. For this reason alone I highly recommend T-Mobile. A link for more information can be found
    here.

I will also post some screen shots so you can get an idea of the solution.

http://members.cox.net/daftgem/acel1.gif
    http://members.cox.net/daftgem/acel2.gif
    Last edited by daftgem; 09/27/2003 at 05:09 PM.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    And this, is one of the rumored reasons on WHY Blazer 3.0 doesn't have a proxy anymore. (Carriers wnating to implement their own)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    This is so great!! Thank you so much for posting this.
    There are similar services through other companies that charge around $8 a month!!
    I almost signed up with one yesterday.

P.S: my wife bought a T610 and she gets around 6 - 12 kb/second when itís connected to her laptop!!!!!!! Much faster than my Treo 300 connected to my laptop!!!
    My first question is WHY? Isnít CDMA supposed to be faster? (I even have a better reception!!!)

Anyway I donít really care anymore since I am jumping on the Treo 600 on the T-mobile Network + using the accelerator that t-mobile offers it will be great.
    Thanks again
    Spain will someday win the World Cup!!!
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by miradu
    And this, is one of the rumored reasons on WHY Blazer 3.0 doesn't have a proxy anymore. (Carriers wnating to implement their own)
    Interesting, however I can only see that really playing out if the carriers proxy was a revenue generator, otherwise why would they care? The thing I like about T-Mobile is that it is free and of high quality (and you can turn it off on the fly). Speedwise knows what they are doing.

Also in regard to CDMA being faster, technically it is. If you were downloading something of size, say a 4 meg MP3 you would see a better data rate and quicker download, due to the fact you cant really compress an MP3 on the fly. However due to optomization, latency and network load GPRS may appear quicker for things such as Email and Web browsing.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    Handspring management said (somewhere - I don't remember) that the carriers did not want to support proxy servers.

I would assume that applies to Handspring OR carrier proxy servers for Blazer.

From the carrier perspective it makes sense since supporting proxy servers for a VERY small portion of the phones they sell would not be cost-effective for any carrier.
    But how come the Blazer 2.0 or the treo300 proxy servers are so freaking slow!?? Compared to the ThunderHawk a pocket Pc browser?
    muntaser 7: how are you only getting 12 kb or less, I'm getting 1 Mbps and at times 112kbps....ru doing something wrong?
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    muntaser 7: how are you only getting 12 kb or less, I'm getting 1 Mbps and at times 112kbps....ru doing something wrong?
    Sorry, I meant my wife gets 60 - 120 kbps on her t610, I get around 60 - 120kbps as well maybe even a little slower than my wifeís connection, BUT i have never gottin 1 Mbps!!! are u sure you get that!!! That is really fast, can somebody else confirm this?
    But what I was trying to say is GPRS is faster than what I thought and what I read about in forums! Plus using their accelerator I think that GRRS (T-Mobile) will beat sprints speed add that with true world wide SMS and 2-3 seconds to connect and I think you got a winner ( I am so tired of looking at my Treo300 screen trying to establish a connection, It takes me around 20-50 even 60 seconds at times)
    So I will be dumping my treo300 for a T-mobile 600.
    Originally posted by muntaser7

Sorry, I meant my wife gets 60 - 120 kbps on her t610, I get around 60 - 120kbps as well maybe even a little slower than my wifeís connection, BUT i have never gottin 1 Mbps!!! are u sure you get that!!! That is really fast, can somebody else confirm this?
    But what I was trying to say is GPRS is faster than what I thought and what I read about in forums! Plus using their accelerator I think that GRRS (T-Mobile) will beat sprints speed add that with true world wide SMS and 2-3 seconds to connect and I think you got a winner ( I am so tired of looking at my Treo300 screen trying to establish a connection, It takes me around 20-50 even 60 seconds at times)
    So I will be dumping my treo300 for a T-mobile 600.
    I used to get around 56 kbps with my Treo 300 and PDANet at DSL Reports (which uses somewhat uncompressable mp3 files for its tests).

I just tested with my brand new Treo 600 and the PDANet demo and I got between 56 - 90 kbps download and 17 - 51 kbps upload.

I tested using Blazer (on the Treo 600) and BandwidthPlace which uses a jpeg image for tests (where Blazer no longer uses a proxy for images) and got 91 kbps. This was using the DSL speed test.

At bandwidthplace.com using PDANet, I get over 500 kbps.

During these tests, I had around 2-3 bars of signal strength.

I should test from work to see what results I get with a full signal.
    Just tested with a consistent full signal...

DSLReports (tested 3 time):

63 kbps download / 62 kbps upload
    100 kbps download / 47 kbps upload
    88 kbps download / 61 kbps upload

Bandwidthplace:

646.8 kbps
    314.6 kbps
    388.4 kbps
    518.8 kbps
    Just wondering if anyone knows if AT&T has a similar proxy?
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    1 Mbps, I don't think so. The theoretical limit of CDMA 1x is like 144kbps, so I don't think you can get a speed 7x as fast. In the real world with the inherent interference built into CDMA networks you may see around 60k average, but if the network is busy it will be slower.

The average speed over GPRS will probably be over 40k, with a peak of 60k. T-Mobile may appear faster as it may be more efficient at getting lots of little chunks of web pages, but Sprint should download a large file faster.

Now if you add in their proxy, I don't know what difference you will see. I don't have a Treo 600 yet, but I have used the T-Mobile proxy w/ my laptop. On the laptop, web page quality was reduced due to the proxy compressing images to a 16 bit color, but considering the Treo can't display more colors than that anyways, I'd probably definitely use it.