Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Ok - hopefully this won't negate what I was able to just accomplish on the phone with Sprint, but it's certainly worth posting to the group.

I have negotiated w/ a Sprint Rep (*2) to be given an automatic $100 off the price of the Treo (even though they don't even have the price of the phone available to them yet) by calling Sprint and ordering the phone through them. Let me explain:

I have been with the company since the beginning. I have been a customer for quite some time, and a good one at that. I received one of those fancy 5% letters from Sprint stating that I would get the discount if I "clicked here". So it seems I'm up for re-upping my contract (# portability, etc.). I made the call to *2 basically sighting the following information (all of which has come from this board):
    • (First thing I said was to speak to a supervisor as I was advised the last time I had called in to do so, as I had called in the evening the first time.)
    • Sprint ECare sent a note out stating that the release date of the phone is 10/1/03
    • Mission Possible has stated the release date to be 10/13/03
    • Price for the phone should be around 400 for new activations and ~500 without activation on Sprint's network
    • Don't want to miss out on getting the phone when it's released.
    • I am willing to re-up contract as long as I can get discount on my phone.

Basically, the rep put me on hold to look into information about the phone (presumably to talk to a supervisor) and came back and said that I could be offered right there on the spot WITHOUT knowing the price of the phone a $100 discount on the phone w/ a re-up of the contract for two years. My account was noted with the discount, as well as the reps name and email ID in order to allow another rep to contact the first rep in case there was any sort of issue with the pricing.

So there you have it. I am guaranteed $100 off the price of the phone the day it comes out. The rep indicated my best bet was to call *2 and speak with them directly upon the day of the release. I will certainly be calling Sprint on a daily basis after Oct. 1st to ask them if the phone is available yet.

The rep was extremely pleasant to deal with, and was wonderfully helpful. I guess you hit them right every other time.

Moral of the story: be nice, be a loyal customer, pay a lot of money monthly, and you'll get a discount. I suppose if anyone else tries this (which I'm sure people will) your mileage will vary. I did the math as well regarding the discount vs. the phone. I pay $99 monthly for my service (two phones + phone ins) and the discount after two years would work out to $118.80. My assumption is that over the course of the next year, that I will be able to re-up again after 6 months to a year, and get some sort of other discount at that point. And quite frankly, if I need to break contract, chances are I'd go w/ another CDMA provider (ala Verizon) and would be using the same phone anyway. I would have simply lost my discount on the phone. In all, I'm opting for the immediate discount. Maybe I can get the additional 5% off. Who knows! Anyway, good luck to all.. I just wish I could get something for my Kyo 6035!

So a CURRENT Sprint customer with a Treo 300 like myself should be able get $100 off on the Treo directly from Sprint?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    From what I experienced, if you are near a contract renewal point, and have been a long time customer, I believe they will do it. Might as well give it a shot!
    Anyone hear of Best Buy carrying the 600? They usually give rebates of their own plus the cell provider's discount. When I bought the I300 a while back, BB gave me 100 bucks off right at the store. Plus, 50 dollar rebate on behalf of Sprint. The SPrint stores were still carrying them at full price at that time. Could it also happen with the 600 when it comes out??

IGo
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    With both Sprint (Tulsa-area college kid) and Cinglular (Houston family-plan) accounts, I wanted assurance that I would get a "deal" from Cingular, even tho I'm not up for renewal. If not, I was going to go for the CDMA from Sprint.

During a long drive to a tourny yesterday, I called Cingular customer service and very nicely explained my situation to the rep (who I had to explain what a Treo 600 was -by having her check her charts for the 270). Anyway, I spend $200/mo with Cingular, and with the number swich coming in November, I said I was willing to switch to Sprint if I didn't get the full discount for the Treo 600. She readily marked my account for the discount AND, IMPORTANTLY, warned me that a TDMA customer (as I am currently with Cingluar) who switches to a GSM phone (Houston JUST GOT GSM) will get whacked with HUGE PRORATED CHARGES if you don't switch plans on your bilkling (typo???) date. So BE CAREFUL.

The Cingular rep said they NEVER get info on the phone/discount until it is FOR SALE (no advance info), but I should be able to walk into my CINGULAR store and get the phone, with discount, no problem. She even thanked me for the info. No problem at all. I am SURE the rep[s are all aware of the potential effect that number portability could have - use it to your advantage.
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    With both Sprint (Tulsa-area college kid) and Cinglular (Houston family-plan) accounts, I wanted assurance that I would get a "deal" from Cingular, even tho I'm not up for renewal. If not, I was going to go for the CDMA from Sprint.

During a long drive to a tourny yesterday, I called Cingular customer service and very nicely explained my situation to the rep (who I had to explain what a Treo 600 was -by having her check her charts for the 270). Anyway, I spend $200/mo with Cingular, and with the number swich coming in November, I said I was willing to switch to Sprint if I didn't get the full discount for the Treo 600. She readily marked my account for the discount AND, IMPORTANTLY, warned me that a TDMA customer (as I am currently with Cingluar) who switches to a GSM phone (Houston JUST GOT GSM) will get whacked with HUGE PRORATED CHARGES if you don't switch plans on your bilkling (typo???) date. So BE CAREFUL.

The Cingular rep said they NEVER get info on the phone/discount until it is FOR SALE (no advance info), but I should be able to walk into my CINGULAR store and get the phone, with discount, no problem. She even thanked me for the info. No problem at all. I am SURE the rep[s are all aware of the potential effect that number portability could have - use it to your advantage.
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight