Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This thread says yes:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=36417

What's the story?

[note - I just reread THIS message and saw I typed "This thread says yes." rather than "This thread says yes:" - so I have changed it]
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 09/27/2003 at 06:53 AM.
    I do not believe this. Why would Sprint do this? Simply ridiculous. The end users will be so angry ... why risk the uproar?
    I wouldn't trust those DreamPages dudes at all - just wait until it's in the stores and/or the websites. I still think that October 7th is the plan for the Sprint stores, but don't trust me either; there are so many dates flying around, it's hard to keep up.
    maybe it's just a simple case of Sprint Store's first and authorized dealers second.
  5.    #5  
    Because I'm interested solely in the financial side of Handspring and Palm I'm VERY interested in finding out what it's all about!

What we have here is a retailer saying someone else said something - it could simply be a mistranslation (e.g., Sprint told THAT retailer "We ain' giving you any til late November") or it could be a rock-cold reflection of reality ("We have decided not to release it til late November").

I wanna know the real story.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

I wanna know the real story.
    I'm with you ... now I won't sleep.
    ("We have decided not to release it til late November").

I wanna know the real story. [/B]
    I don't think this is the case. Too much at 10/13 has been said by HS and Sprint at the events the last two days.

I'm sure we will hear more on 10/1 from SF
  8.    #8  
    Just a caveat about the dynamic Real World:

Handspring released TWO "10K" reports TODAY. PALM released =4= "S4"s within the last 3 days (two TODAY).

It is NOT inconceivable that SOMETHING has hit the fan.

Could all be bogus fear, could be real.

But what someone said YESTERDAY, especially from HAND or PALM, has been shown without a shadow of a doubt that it ain't necessarily valid TODAY.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i don't recall that article saying that it was delayed across the board, just to that site. you can't take that as the authority for anyone else's sales. besides, like someone else has already mentioned, that site looks a little shifty to me.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I don't think that website is very reliable. For one thing, they're advertising the "New" Toshiba 2032 for "only $549"... this has been out for at least a year and its only $399 at Sprint's website. Additionally, the "Please do not call asking why. We honestly don't know." does not seem very professional.

I'm guessing they probably won't have enough in stock until end of November to send out to their "pre-ordering customers", therefore they had to make up some sort of story.

I'm expecting the Treo 600 in early to mid October as planned.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    The SEC filings that Seldom Visitor referred to are at:
    http://www.shareholder.com/handspring/Edgar.cfm

These are .pdf searchable documents. Fortunately, I could find nothing about the 600 being delayed in these filings. Only that they expected to sell alot of them in Q4.

And, I'll be among the hoard of buyers.
    I just called our vendor rep for Handspring. He's a pretty cool guy. He wasn't sure of any delay but said he'd get back to me. Well, like I said he's a pretty cool guy. Just got the phone call back and he said there is no planned delay for the 600 for Sprint. He also said that he would find it pretty hard to believe the phones could be delayed since more than 30% of their shipments have left Handspring's warehouse. He even went on to say that he wouldn't be surprised if they would be available early at certain locations just because Sprint stores have a tendency to put them out to sell as soon as they have them, and it looks like some of them may have them by NEXT FRIDAY! I have never known this guy to b*!!$#!t me so I guess we may have a surprise next week. Of course he also said it would be a"right time, right place" kind of thing.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I hope not. I am thinking about trying out Sprint, but may wait until phone # portability takes effect first.
    At the Mission Possible event in Boston earlier today a HS rep was talking to to a Sprint rep about a shipment of 1,800 units that were received that morning where 4 units were missing (whatever). The point is that shipping seems to have been going on regularly with large quantities. I don't think there is any stopping this baby. Cingular reps told me they will be selling them by the 20th. I'm sure Sprint doesn't want to be upstaged by the other carriers selling it before them.

SeldomVisitor has always been interested in negative Handspring and Palm news for financial reasons, as he always acknowledges. As far as I remember, none of his gloomy (wishful) predictions have ever panned out. So don't get riled up

My simple financial advice to SeldomVisitor is to get rid of his negative HAND/PALM positions ASAP and go long!
  15.    #15  
    I am literally OUTRAGED that you attacked me personally and by this note request that TreoCentral remove your post entirely, silverado.

======

I didn't post ANY message in the thread that said Sprint delayed the TREO 600 til late November (til a little ago...).

THIS thread is a "Is that thread true?" thread.

You can **** off, silverado, if you don't like the PLAIN FACT that Handspring AND PALM are totally ****ed up companies that put out an AMAZING torrent of repititious large financial documents in the last 3 days - proving WITH NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that they messed SOMETHING up.

Well, I'm VERY interested in the financial side of these VERY ****ED UP COMPANIES and I want to KNOW the truth about what they ****ed up THIS time with their SEC submittals because they DID **** something up and, like it or not, THAT has FINANCIAL ramifications.

And when someone who is a fall-down fan of a TREO 600 toy says "Sprint says they ain't releaseing them til late November" then BY GOD I want to know what the story is.

This STUPID personal attack crap has got to stop - and TreoCentral is falling down on the job when they allow even ONE tiny part of a message to contain it.

What's the ****ING TRUTH about the TREO 600 release, GOOD OR BAD?
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 09/27/2003 at 06:03 AM.
  16.    #16  
    > The SEC filings that Seldom Visitor referred to are at:
    >
    > http://www.shareholder.com/handspring/Edgar.cfm

A more thorough site for Handspring is:

-- http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/quotes_sec...&selected=hand

and for Palm is:

-- http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/quotes_sec...&selected=palm

It should be noted that PALM's docs are huge - hundreds of pages, and cost significant money to mail to stockholders (they're not just a doc on a website). In fact, it's SO expensive to mail these guys out that PALM actually released a PRPRPR $about$ $just$ $that$ $not$ $very$ $long$ $ago$:

-- http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRela...&storyId=93622

So how come so many so fast?

Putting out this many copies of these things suggests a mistake or lack of clarity or SOMETHING OF FINANCIAL INTEREST has occurred - that like-it-or-not factoid combined with a post on what is supposed-to-be a TREO-knowledgable web site (*) saying the TREO 600 is getting released WAY LATE screams out for explanation.

[(*) It is getting clear, however, that while folks here might know cellphones inside-out, they haven't a clue about businesses. Furthermore, the sheer number of conflicting RECENT posts about both pricing and availability is shocking, especially since MANY of the conflicting posts say "I talked directly to X and X said..." for some pretty significant "X"s!]
    I am literally OUTRAGED that you attacked me personally and by this note request that TreoCentral remove your post entirely, silverado.
    What are you calling an attack? Please show me the attacking language. I simply stated facts based on your own words.

In the financial world, there are people who are bullish or bearish on certain things. I basically stated that you appear to be bearish on HAND/PALM. Stating that one doesn't agree with a certain analyst's views is not an attack. How do you call this a personal attack?
    SeldomVisitor makes a point that we all need to keep in mind. Although we seem to be diehard fans of these devices (I know my professional life has been so much easier since I bought my T300), the viability of the company(ies) is important as well. Or else, when the inevitable breakdowns occur, our choice for a replacement may be limited.

OTOH, I am betting this comes out as promised in October at CARRIER retail centers, and then in November in retail centers for the big holiday rush. I have no particular info on this ... but to me it makes sense. For several reasons.

First, it would be insane for carriers to have to support the T600 if they didn't at least get the chance for some hardware profits when the early adopters (I guess that's us) would pay the higher initial retail price.:P

Second, I think there is some psychic victory for HS & Palm to deliver as promised so they can trump Kyocera, Samsung & MS and get bragging rights on who delivers. After all, they did call it 'Mission Possible.' When this comes out as promised, someone on this board said it will be 'Mission Accomplished' and I can hear the sales pitch now ... 'We said October and we delivered' and all the IT folks saying, 'Great, where do we sign?' Don't forget that HS is already at work on the next version ...

Finally (sorry for the long post), we are getting info from everywhere ... and we all know that we hear the same info differently. Maybe this is a good reason for that voice recorder app after all

One last thing, Seldom. Could all of these filings have to do with the merger coming to completion in the next few weeks? Just a thought.
    SeldomVisitor:

You are the one who is resorting to personal attackes and masked profanities. I stated a simple and respectful disagreement of opinion. You, on the other hand, started throwing profanities left and right in response to a simple analysis of your school of thought. You can disagree with it, like I did with yours, but to come out cursing like that is totally obscene.

However, I will not ask for your stuff to be removed. I think it should stay for the record.

Here is a side-by-side comparison. Let others decide who is attacking others personally:

I said of Seldom Visitor:
    SeldomVisitor has always been interested in negative Handspring and Palm news for financial reasons, as he always acknowledges. As far as I remember, none of his gloomy (wishful) predictions have ever panned out. So don't get riled up

My simple financial advice to SeldomVisitor is to get rid of his negative HAND/PALM positions ASAP and go long!
    To which he replied:
    You can **** off, silverado, if you don't like the PLAIN FACT that Handspring AND PALM are totally ****ed up companies that put out an AMAZING torrent of repititious large financial documents in the last 3 days - proving WITH NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that they messed SOMETHING up.

Well, I'm VERY interested in the financial side of these VERY ****ED UP COMPANIES and I want to KNOW the truth about what they ****ed up THIS time with their SEC submittals because they DID **** something up and, like it or not, THAT has FINANCIAL ramifications.

And when someone who is a fall-down fan of a TREO 600 toy says "Sprint says they ain't releaseing them til late November" then BY GOD I want to know what the story is.

This STUPID personal attack crap has got to stop - and TreoCentral is falling down on the job when they allow even ONE tiny part of a message to contain it.

What's the ****ING TRUTH about the TREO 600 release, GOOD OR BAD?
    I'll repeat. In the financial world, there are people who are bullish or bearish on certain things. I basically stated that you appear to be bearish on HAND/PALM. Stating that one doesn't agree with a certain analyst's views is not an attack. How do you call this a personal attack?

In addition, it seems that your reaction to disagreeing with you is blinding you to the contents of what I said. What I was disagreeing with is the delay of release, NOT the fact that something interesting may be going on financially. My point is that units have been shipped in the thousands. Carriers are competing to debut the device. Sprint was given an edge over other US carriers because of their relationship with HS and they were given a lead time to start selling the 600 before them. Sprint would be absolutely nuts to let those other carriers upstage them and release before them. It's simple logic and it does not negate everything else you are saying regarding interesting financial filings taking place and what's behind them. It is my opinion that as far as the release of the device is concerned (which is the topic of this thread), those documents have no bearing.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/27/2003 at 07:16 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Silverado - you have a nasty habit of attacking the poster rather than the post - in case that's not clear enuf for ya - you shouldn't have mentioned ME at all in your reply - =I= am irrelevant (as, for most cases, is "purplex" who also gets personally attacked all the time - he's GOOD, he knows his stuff, and when people can't counter his GOOD STUFF they stoop to attacking him instead - the threads usually spiral down FROM THERE).

I think it's inappropriate, irrelevant to a tee and thus is nothing more than noise that obscures the REAL topic, and TreoCentral should be absolutely rigid about removing TOTALLY any post that does it - make a firm example of a few and it will stop happening.

You want to attack posters instead of posts? Go over to Yahoo.

======

I'm sure the merger has a lot to do with releasing financial documents - for example, the merger has to be voted on so shareholders have to be told about the vote, etc. But the sheer number of only-slightly-changed copies of these very important very large financial documents in SUCH a short length of time says SOMETHING isn't "right" - even if we look at this with the ABSOLUTE ROSIEST GLASSES it says that HAND and PALM, for whatever reason, HAD to release multiple copies because of SOME shortcoming - well, THAT combined with the whack-upside-the-head post made concurrently by someone else that the TREO 600 is going to be delayed til late November absolutely needs explanation for those interested in the financial side of these two failing-financially companies!

All the TREO models have been cool - wunnerful - that does NOT interest me.

All the TREO models have been financial failures - that DOES interest me.

And when someone says the Christmas season is going to be missed, essentialy, for an uber-expensive toy that TWO failing companies are DEPENDING on to save them, THAT interests me.

I continue to want The Truth.

NO ONE has volunteered that yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast