Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That's good to know.
    All this talk about shift+up or down on the Treo 180/270/300--I've owned some sort of Treo for a year and a half and never knew this!! How 'bout that. Did figure out the jog rocker though.

Anyway...question for jamesbond or anyone else: I've read all the info HS has put out regarding the ability to launch any application just by holding a letter key for a few seconds. But what I've read seems to suggest that you have to be on the Favorites screen (or at least in the phone app) for this to work. Do you know:

(1) can you launch an app by holding a button for a few seconds, when you are *not* in the phone app?

(2) will pressing and holding a button work if the display was previously off? In other words, can you wake the device up with any button, or just the 4 main buttons?

(3) Can the main hard buttons, such as the phone book button, also be mapped so that by holding them down for a few seconds you get an app of your choice (different from the app you get with a simple press of that button)? Or does this only work for the various letter/number keys? Not that I'm worried about not having enough letter keys...but the bigger size of the 4 main buttons makes it easier to locate them without looking.

(4) does the "buttons" tab in the Prefs app allow you to assign an action to a press of the center button on the 5-way when the display is previously off? (similar to pushing the jog rocker in on an earlier Treo, when the device was previously off, might launch the phone app).

Nothing really important here I guess...just curious (and trying to keep the conversation going so I have something to read during my increasingly frequent visits to the discussion forums .

Thanks
    skydog
    1. Nope, you have to be either in the Phone app,
    Favorites, or Dial Pad view.

2. No.

3. No. What you can do is to map each of the three
    application buttons to launch two different
    applications; the fourth button is used to turn
    on/off the screen (can be changed to some
    other action) and control the keyguard (can't be
    changed)

4. No.

Still, someone might write an app that will make
    these things possible...

/Mike
    Interesting...thanks for the info Mike. I knew that the 4th application button was mapped to control the display on/off, but figured I would change that since it seems like the power button on top functions the same as the current line (press to toggle display; press&hold to toggle wireless mode). Didn't realize, though, that the keyguard function couldn't be changed (not that I would want to).

How do you get to the second app from one of the main buttons? Hold it? Hit it twice? Hold the alt key in combination with the button?

Thanks
    sd
    I never use the keyguard function directly; I have set it to be activated automatically whenever I turn off the screen, so it would have been nice to be able to re-map that key, too.

To get the second app you first press the Options key (you also use that key to enter numbers, punctuation, and symbols that appear above the letters on the keys.)
    Do you have an MP3 player installed? I'm curious to know what happens if you're playing an MP3 and you receive an incoming call. Does the MP3 player mute when the ringtone is playing? Does it mute during the call?
    Originally posted by Mol
    Do you have an MP3 player installed? I'm curious to know what happens if you're playing an MP3 and you receive an incoming call. Does the MP3 player mute when the ringtone is playing? Does it mute during the call?
    This is up to the mp3 player software to decide.

Handspring has left it up to the software developers.
    The device apparently supports up to 12 discreet audio channels!
    How many are available for the software developer I don't know.

Thus if you want an app to mute the call you can have one, or maybe you want to mute the mp3 instead -your choice.

Not sure what the current mp3 players offer.
    Originally posted by Cyril
    Not sure what the current mp3 players offer.
    I've just tried it with Pocket Tunes and when I receive a call it will pause the song and instead play the "ring tone."

I don't know which mp3 players are available for PalmOS (I fill my external cards with Plucker documents instead of mp3 songs), but let me know if there is some specific mp3 player you would like me to try out (and where I can find it) and I will report back the results.

/Mike
    Last edited by micke; 10/01/2003 at 01:48 AM.
    There were only two mp3 players for OS5 that came out last year and I forget the other one since I had an NX60 with that built in from SONY.
    Current Palm OS5 music players:

Pocket Tunes*
    Aeroplayer
    Real Player for Palm OS

Only the first is reportedly compatible with the Treo600 as of right now...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/30/2003 at 08:55 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Current Palm OS5 music players:

Pocket Tunes*
    Aeroplayer
    Real Player for Palm OS

Only the first is reportedly compatible with the Treo600 as of right now...
    I've tried the other two players with the following result:

Aeroplayer will continue playing when you receive a call.
    Real Player will not run at all on the Treo 600 (says the system is incompatible.)
    Thx Micke. The behavior you describe is exactly what I think it should be.

PocketTunes is the player that supposedly you can download for free from the HS site after registering your new Treo 600.
    Originally posted by Mol
    PocketTunes is the player that supposedly you can download for free from the HS site after registering your new Treo 600.
    Well, Handspring doesn't accept registrations from Europe, so that is not an option for me. Still, I got my Treo 600 for free, so I guess I could spend a bit more money on software... ;-)
    Hello "lucky treo 600" owner !

Stupid question for you...

Is the 600 vibrating when incoming call ?

Does it vibrate works with and without sound ?

Thanks a lot...
    Originally posted by micke

Well, Handspring doesn't accept registrations from Europe, so that is not an option for me. Still, I got my Treo 600 for free, so I guess I could spend a bit more money on software... ;-)
    They will accept registrations from Europe soon enough. They don't want to p*** off their new Orange buddies...
    Originally posted by fabiodik
    Does it vibrate works with and without sound ?
    Yes, the vibrate works both with and without sound (you can select it in the preferences.)

/Mike
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Just for Micke so i'll type it in Swedish....

Tjena Micke, skickade iväg ett epost till dig för man blev allt lite nyfiken hur du lyckats få tag på en T600 redan nu.

/Andreas

Yes, the vibrate works both with and without sound (you can select it in the preferences.)

/Mike
    Great!!!

Mike, how much does it cost in Sweden ? (without subscription)...

Sorry, I don't know swedish, even if I worked for 3 years for Saab...

Thanks
    Originally posted by fabiodik
    how much does it cost in Sweden ? (without subscription)...
    You can't buy them in Sweden, yet. I won my Treo 600 at a PUG meeting the day before the PalmSource conference in Munich.

/Mike
    Last edited by micke; 10/01/2003 at 05:57 AM.

You can't buy them in Sweden, yet. I won my Treo 600 at a PUG meeting the day before the PalmSource conference in Munich.

/Mike
    Won??? You are a lucky guy..... can you give me 6 number so I can play the lottery ???
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast