Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 99
  1. #41  
    I have had both a Palm Tungsten T and Clie NX60 with OS5. Performance with the ARM processors is nice, battery life was good too. But the built in apps really need a bit of jazzing up.
  2. #42  
    Can you please try Blazer 2.0 and test the speed on the 600? I'm actually posting this from Blazer 2.0 on the Treo 600 Emulator, so it seems to work (althought I had to install ALL the files related to Blazer 2.0 from my Visor, just installing the install file gave a database creation error). Let me know if you need help getting it to run on the 600.
  3. #43  
    Allright, here's my own comparison using the 600 Emulator..

    Loading the www.pgatour.com webpage takes about 30 seconds using Blazer 3.0, while only about 7 seconds using Blazer 2.0 (it's even faster if you turn images to black and white). Turning off images in Blazer 3.0 didn't really speed things up.

    I know, the emulator can't give comparison speeds in real life, but in my opinion, Blazer 3.0 sucks in terms of speed.
  4. #44  
    1) blazer 3.0 provides java, less speed.... hmm

    2) camera res is ehhh... not optimum yet

    3) os 5 on arm processor nice, but needs some work

    4) form factor excellent

    5) screen is bright, still 160 x 160, and still not optimum in sun

    6) processor is 144 mhz, faster, but still not comparable to
    what would be outstanding... a 400 - 500 mhz processor

    7)better build, durable.,, but screen is damageable. ... for a $500 device?... hmmm

    8)expansion, but no bluetooth.... hmm


    all the right ingredients are there... but we are still not yet looking at a sharpened, fully compacted result.

    no doubt its a good upgrade from t300 in some respects, but i think it may be good to wait until palm enhances all of these features. $500 is a lot of money. id pay it toward a device that does each and every feature extremely well --- thats the upgraded treo im waiting for. jmho from someone who is hesitant to throw cash like that out the door so fast...
  5. #45  
    But we will never have the perfect device ... its always a series of steps to get where we are. We need to remember the T600 was probably in development for 18 - 24 months ... and decisions had to be made then, based what was available, to get the product out in a timely manner.

    The next version will come out with the stuff we want today ... bit some new budding technology will be left out and we'll get the chance to complain again.

    Hey, if we waited for MS to make a crashproof windows ... we'd all own Macs!
  6. #46  
    Here are some issues that I would like to know about..

    One thing Im amaized that no one has asked about? Acidental turn ons? Or the ability to lock all the keys to prevent this.. Does it exist in the 600? I know all the treos have been plauged with this and just needed to know if handspring finally took notes and fixed it.

    How does the phone features "look" compaire to the 300's IE have they made the caller id text ajustable? or is it any larger than the others?

    How well do you think the stylus will stay in this ones sillo? It was a known issue in the treo line? has this been fixed?

    Does the 5 way navigation button work for text editing, IE in memopad, can you move from line to like forward and back ect? how is its text editing funtions?

    can you navigate forms "move from field to field" with the five way navigation as you can say in windows with the tab key? This has also been lacking in the treo family.

    If I come up with any more I will let you know.?
  7. #47  
    I pity poor jamesbond. Comes on to share some info and he gets buried under an avalanche of questions from us info-starved "T600 wanna-owns".

    That said, I'm a full-fledged wanna-own myself; I admitted to a co-worker that I have T600 photos all over my walls at my home office, and a picture of the T600 on my custom browser homepage....he looked at me and said "you're kidding, right?".

    jamesbond, thanks again for your comments.
  8. #48  
    Jeesh....Did I miss something here or is it an unwritten rule that you can't ask where someone got something at? A simple "I'm not at liberty to say" would have sufficed. No need for the cloak and dagger spyspeak reply.
  9. #49  
    The processor bundle I believe is the same that was unsed in the Tungsten T and it was pretty good. Palm doesn't require 400mhz processors since the OS is not bloated and cumbersome like PPC. I know I own a PPC and have owned many Palms. It is possible they can modify BT, WiFi and other SDIO add ons to fit the T600 but there has to be customrer demand so we must demonstrate it.
  10. #50  
    Do Blazer 2.0 and Blazer 3.0 download exactly the same files from a website, or does Blazer 2.0's proxy server somehow speed up the transfer for 2.0? I guess what I am asking is: by modifying the HTML files to be rendered by Blazer, is the proxy server the reason that Blazer 2.0 is faster? Does it make the files smaller or less processor intensive, or both?
  11. #51  
    Originally posted by scrinch
    Do Blazer 2.0 and Blazer 3.0 download exactly the same files from a website, or does Blazer 2.0's proxy server somehow speed up the transfer for 2.0? I guess what I am asking is: by modifying the HTML files to be rendered by Blazer, is the proxy server the reason that Blazer 2.0 is faster? Does it make the files smaller or less processor intensive, or both?
    I'm no expert, but as I understand it the 2.0 proxy compresses the html and downscales the images, cutting out a great deal of the network traffic.

    In addition, 2.0 does not support javascript, which on the one hand significantly limits (IMHO) the browser's usability, but on the other hand speeds things up because javascript does not have to be transferred to or processed by the Treo

    I wonder if proxy exists or might be created which simply "optimizes" the html (removes spaces, comments, etc) and downscales images while leaving everything else (including javascript) in place? This might speed things up alot in 3.0. Is anyone aware of anything?
  12. #52  
    James Bond, Can you use the new Treo600 to access OWA (Outlook Web Access)? I can access my work email (exchange) from home from the webmail site, but not on my Treo300 due to the whole Java thing. Can you do it from the 600?
    THanks, Matt Burkhard
  13.    #53  
    Originally posted by treobk214
    What improvements have you noticed with the palm os 5?

    How is it better than os 3.5?

    Keyboard: are there any added functions or subfunctions implemented?

    You said the keyboard was an issue - is this b/c the keys are so close together, tight, or hard to read?

    Have you found any special software programs that make the treo 600 even more effective?

    Your responses are terrific and much appreciated. Thankyou!
    I came from a pocket pc so do not have good comparison for palm os 5.
    Keys close together and the keys with the numbers/letters are hard to read the letters.
    I have not tried any software.
  14.    #54  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    James Bond, Can you use the new Treo600 to access OWA (Outlook Web Access)? I can access my work email (exchange) from home from the webmail site, but not on my Treo300 due to the whole Java thing. Can you do it from the 600?
    THanks, Matt Burkhard
    I have been able to access webmail.
  15.    #55  
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    Jeesh....Did I miss something here or is it an unwritten rule that you can't ask where someone got something at? A simple "I'm not at liberty to say" would have sufficed. No need for the cloak and dagger spyspeak reply.
    Sorry --- I was not trying to offend anyone.
  16.    #56  
    Originally posted by zone97
    Here are some issues that I would like to know about..

    One thing Im amaized that no one has asked about? Acidental turn ons? Or the ability to lock all the keys to prevent this.. Does it exist in the 600? I know all the treos have been plauged with this and just needed to know if handspring finally took notes and fixed it.

    How does the phone features "look" compaire to the 300's IE have they made the caller id text ajustable? or is it any larger than the others?

    How well do you think the stylus will stay in this ones sillo? It was a known issue in the treo line? has this been fixed?

    Does the 5 way navigation button work for text editing, IE in memopad, can you move from line to like forward and back ect? how is its text editing funtions?
    I will do my best ---

    The treo 600 has a power off button that works well to turn off the screen but not the phone. It also has a keyguard feature that works pretty well.
    The phone features are very similar to the treo 300 -- the favorites feature has been upgraded to alolow you to have applications, speed dial or web pages used as favorites. Do not know what you mean by text adjustable caller id.
    The stylus fits in pretty snug -- I do not think that will be a problem.
    The 5 way navigation button works well, I have not used it much for text editing but it does allow you to move around within a document.
    can you navigate forms "move from field to field" with the five way navigation as you can say in windows with the tab key? This has also been lacking in the treo family.

    If I come up with any more I will let you know.?
  17. #57  
    Originally posted by jamesbond


    can you navigate forms "move from field to field" with the five way navigation as you can say in windows with the tab key? This has also been lacking in the treo family.

    Yes you can. Can't remember exactly but either "right" or "down" will take you to the next field and "up" or "left" to the previous. The built-in tutorial explains it in more detail.
  18. #58  
    Originally posted by zone97
    can you navigate forms "move from field to field" with the five way navigation as you can say in windows with the tab key? This has also been lacking in the treo family.
    You can do this on old Treo's (180, 270, 300) using the jog rocker or by holding shift and using the up/down scroll buttons.
  19. #59  
    I haven't had a treo before but my I700 has a buttons to turn off the phone, turn off the screen or you can turn the phone off by tapping the screen too. How do you turn just the phone off, is there a button for that or a specific soft/hard key?
  20. #60  
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    How do you turn just the phone off, is there a button for that or a specific soft/hard key?
    There is a button on the top of the device that you press for a few seconds or so to turn off the phone.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions