Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 99
  1. #21  
    Have you done any browsing? Can you go to a full-fledged site of your choice and record the time it takes to load the site w/ 256 colors? We should be able to replicate with 300s and get a sense for browsing speed. Thanks.
  2. #22  
    I would Paypal James Bond money to know where he got it...

    Signed,


    Desperate cuz I don't have a phone right now
    Lee Ladisky
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by skfny
    Have you done any browsing? Can you go to a full-fledged site of your choice and record the time it takes to load the site w/ 256 colors? We should be able to replicate with 300s and get a sense for browsing speed. Thanks.

    to go to pgatour.com it took 1 minute and 22 seconds, this is a pretty large site, measured from start to finish.
  4. #24  
    Originally posted by jamesbond



    to go to pgatour.com it took 1 minute and 22 seconds, this is a pretty large site, measured from start to finish.
    I downloaded that site in a minute 10 seconds on a 180 (T-mobile/GPRS).
    41644 Bytes.
  5. #25  
    Originally posted by jamesbond



    to go to pgatour.com it took 1 minute and 22 seconds, this is a pretty large site, measured from start to finish.
    Blaahhh!! Iím using a Treo 300 and it took me 1 minute and 5 seconds!! Damn, I was hoping the Treo 600 would be much much faster!!
    I used to use ThunderHawk for my Toshiba2032 a while back and i use to take and average of 2 to 5 seconds for most websites!!
    I really want the 600 but I hope that blazer would be much faster.

    By the way thanks for all the info.
    Spain will someday win the World Cup!!!
  6. #26  
    Thanks again.
    I realize there may be differences in signal strength/battery life, cache size,etc, but I got that site to load up in 1:06. (Blazer 3 1:22). So the new browser is probably around the same speed-wise. Xiino did the job in 0:32. Do you have that installed? If so, would you mind doing another test w/ Xiino? Thanks again. (I want to see if Xiino's incompatible with the 600. It doesn't work in the emulator.)
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by skfny
    Thanks again.
    I realize there may be differences in signal strength/battery life, cache size,etc, but I got that site to load up in 1:06. (Blazer 3 1:22). So the new browser is probably around the same speed-wise. Xiino did the job in 0:32. Do you have that installed? If so, would you mind doing another test w/ Xiino? Thanks again. (I want to see if Xiino's incompatible with the 600. It doesn't work in the emulator.)
    I do not have xiino.
  8. #28  
    Can you check and post the size of the pgatour site that you downloaded?
  9. #29  
    Took me 1 min 27 sec to load that site, although the amount of data differed - 69,927 bytes - so maybe that's why...
  10.    #30  
    Originally posted by dspires
    Can you check and post the size of the pgatour site that you downloaded?
    ran a second time 1 min 17 seconds at 142.5k
  11. #31  
    Originally posted by jamesbond


    ran a second time 1 min 17 seconds at 142.5k
    That's a pretty big difference in size. Is that with images set to 256 colors? If you're downloading 16-bit color images, then we should all redo our tests.
  12. #32  
    You can't compare speed between the devices from across the country. You need to be on the same cell site, in the same location with the same signal strength, voice and data traffic. Download speeds will be a lot faster on a rural site with no traffic on it than a downtown site that could be filled with users. The only good comparison would be side-by-side, but not simultaneously, or the devices will be sharing resources.
  13. #33  
    We're looing for relative numbers here, not percentage differences.
    While I understand that any of 5+ factors may affect speed, it's clear that everyone who's posted the results from their 270/300/180 is getting faster results than the 600. Hopefully it is because the 600 is in a poor reception zone. If we all get our 600s and get the same result, that T3+BT phone is looking good IMO, SPECIALLY if Xiino doesn't work on OS5.
  14. #34  
    The page has javascript as well so the new browser has to process and render the javascript code. The old browser ignores it. That makes a huge difference.
  15. #35  
    Does the new blazer get recognized as a mobile browser by web hosts?
  16. #36  
    Originally posted by petway56
    The page has javascript as well so the new browser has to process and render the javascript code. The old browser ignores it. That makes a huge difference.
    Okay, so can you load the old version of blazer 2.0 and see if it downloads it faster on the Treo 600?
  17. #37  
    Originally posted by petway56
    The page has javascript as well so the new browser has to process and render the javascript code. The old browser ignores it. That makes a huge difference.
    Treo 300 Blazer : 65k @ 1:20 (w/ high color pics)
    Treo 300 Xiino : 40k @ 0:20 (and the occasional reload, because the proxy server isn't responding)
    Treo 600 Blazer : 142.5k + JSJSJS @ $1$:$17$

    I feel MUCH better now. Thanks for your help.
  18. 7ss
    7ss is offline
    7ss's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    #38  
    Keep in mind that the 600 browser does not use a proxy so you'll get larger files sizes and can't downsample pictures to fewer colors. I'd expect it to be slower than previous versions. Upside is we get real cookies, better security, and javascript.
  19. #39  
    Is blazer 3.0 much faster than 2.0?

    do the web pages appear much more clearly than on the treo 300?

    Are the phone book + speed dial functions nice and smooth?

    How is the web surfing experience in general?

    thanks much for your info!
  20. #40  
    What improvements have you noticed with the palm os 5?

    How is it better than os 3.5?

    Keyboard: are there any added functions or subfunctions implemented?

    You said the keyboard was an issue - is this b/c the keys are so close together, tight, or hard to read?

    Have you found any special software programs that make the treo 600 even more effective?

    Your responses are terrific and much appreciated. Thankyou!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions