Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The original Mission Impossible Info thread is now at over 100 replies and over 7 pages. Within that, there is not much new, I believe. It takes a long time to read over all of it.

By these means, I'd like to start a NEW thread for those of you attending the Boston event (before the previous thread keeps going for 200 replies). Any NEWS? Please press these people to the extent possible, for more detailed availability info.

Thanks for doing this, guys (and gals).
    I just left the Boston Mission Possible event (had to leave earely ). Posting from my Treo 270 so here are quick tidbits.

Sprint will sell it for $399 for new contracts. They talked of the 13th being the date.

Cingular Oct 20 for business customers. U could walk into a store and get one. $449 for new contracts. $100 more otherwise.

Over heard HS rep talking to sprint rep. Base price is ~$550. Sprint is subsidizing $150. I think I heard HS guy say that HS will discount 100 to existing users.

Upgrade discount info should be in the next newsletter from Handspring.

That's it for now. Gotta get back to work.
    so, if the base is 550, $450 get you one from Handspring?

I'm sure they wouldn't under cut one of their carries by offering it for less.

Did T-mo have any prices? In a perfect world, you would be able tobut it from handspring get their discount and then get a new contract from your carrier and knock off another $100 of so.

I can do $550 straight if needed, but $350 sound so much better.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    so, if the base is 550, $450 get you one from Handspring?

I'm sure they wouldn't under cut one of their carries by offering it for less.

Did T-mo have any prices? In a perfect world, you would be able tobut it from handspring get their discount and then get a new contract from your carrier and knock off another $100 of so.

I can do $550 straight if needed, but $350 sound so much better.

One HS salesman told me that you can get all the discounts you qualify for (carrier + HS) if you buy from HS's website.
    Qualifying for all discounts would be great! The next inevitable question - when will it be available from Handspring's website? Thanks for the info!
    I don't have much to add to the great information that everyone posted. Finally having used the phone, I am very impressed, and will definitely upgrade from my Treo 300 as soon as it is available.

I am so grateful for all of the information from so many people, that I just registered so I can add a few of things that I heard there (some of this may have been repeated elsewhere):

1. Handspring's VP of Sales said that Sprint told him that the price would be $549 with a $150 rebate with a 2 year contract.

2. The same VP of Sales said that Handspring will offer a $100 rebate for existing Treo users, but said that he didn't have any details. I did ask if people would have to turn in their Treo, and he said no, that it would be done by entering the Serial Number on their Web site.

3. In response to a question to Ed Colligan, he asked a Sprint rep. to talk about Sprint support for SMS and MMS. The Sprint rep. said that Sprint will not support either SMS or MMS upon shipping. The target to support SMS is the first week in December. The target to support MMS will be the first "part" of 2004.

4. Several Handspring and Sprint people told me that the Sprint version would be available by October 13th, and that a shipment of several thousand units have already been sent from Handspring to Sprint.

That's all I can think of. I can't wait to get one!
    The same salesman told me that they should be available on the website in 3-4 weeks after Sprint, which is not very soon. They basically don't want to start selling on their website before the carriers do.

Asking about the unlocked GSM version, he kind of suggested that they won't be selling the unlocked version. His exact words were "you won't get many carriers to even talk to you if you're going to sell unlocked phones directly".

So, based on all the conflicting information, my guess is that, at least initially, unlocked GSM phones will be available only to previous owners of Treo's who are upgrading. I think this explains the "limited quantity" statements we have heard. Reconciling the disincentive to sell unlocked phones with the firm HS commitment to give phones at a discount to prior owners of Treo's, I can only come to this conclusion.

I talked to Ed Colligan about the fact that not many people know about the existing Treo's and how that I always get great responses when people see mine, but almost eveyrone has never seen it before. He acknowledged this very strongly and vented about the struggle they have with carriers who would not promote the product because they are used to selling phones, and phones are more or less all the same. He said they try so hard to educate carriers about the uniqueness of their device so that they would promote it more but it has been very hard.

He said that he is seeing a lot more enthusiasm for the 600, though (almost all carrier reps were using 600's as their personal phones) and he said that there will be better promotion of the 600 because of that.
    Thanks for the great info! If Handspring won't be offering it on their website for several weeks after it's available in stores, I wonder how the rebate will work. Do you have to order directly from Handspring, or will we be able to get the 600 at the Sprint store, and then go to Handspring's website separately and apply for the rebate? I don't really want to wait an extra month...
    "Handspring's VP of Sales said that Sprint told him that the price would be $549 with a $150 rebate with a 2 year contract."

Was there any indication that this deal was for the new acitvations or can us loyal Sprint customers hop on this deal (god i hope so)?
    I got in today in boston no problem; they had a nametag and everything. anyway i was blown away by the 600...whatver you've read on here about the size or the bulge or the screen...its BS. that thing rocked! I will be the first online to buy it on oct. 15th...can't wait
    See - that's what I've been SAYING since I saw the thing back in June. Once you see it and play with it, you'll be convinced. (or maybe not convinced, but at least, once you SEE one, you'll at least have the data to make your own decision, and not go off specs, or 160xJ2ME or whatever...). See it and then decide that you love/hate/don't care.
    Originally posted by grim02
    Thanks for the great info! If Handspring won't be offering it on their website for several weeks after it's available in stores, I wonder how the rebate will work. Do you have to order directly from Handspring, or will we be able to get the 600 at the Sprint store, and then go to Handspring's website separately and apply for the rebate? I don't really want to wait an extra month...
    i feel u on that! If Handspring is only taking $100 off then I might just order thru Sprint and *gulp* resign a 2yr and see if they give me the $150 off.
    A lot of people sound like signing a new two year with Sprint is scary or something. Isn't worst case if you leave early you pay a $150 early termination fee? That's not a lot of scratch....and besides if your with them now and your buying the CDMA phone, where ya gonna go? And why would you want to if you haven't left already?
    Not a flame---just musing here...
    I think the issue is you can hop over to a rapidly improving T-Mobile if Sprint doesn't seem alluring. You don't have to buy the CDMA phone, after all.
    They will often say that the price of a phone is x, and the cost with a two year contract is x-$150 or $200.

What they don't tell you is that it ain't an all or nothin' deal. As them for the discount for a one year contract. It will usually be between $75-100. As you will be buying a new phone, with a shelf life of about that long, this is a little more reasonable.

They just want to tie you down for two years.
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    A lot of people sound like signing a new two year with Sprint is scary or something. Isn't worst case if you leave early you pay a $150 early termination fee? That's not a lot of scratch....and besides if your with them now and your buying the CDMA phone, where ya gonna go? And why would you want to if you haven't left already?
    Not a flame---just musing here...
    I really don't mind resigning a contract....there's no other cell phone company I'd rather be with.
    Amen brother.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Two year contracts just don't work out for the customer that wanst new technology and new toys. That was the discussion I had with VzW about my I700. My history since 1995 showed that on average I upgraded about every 12-14 months so a 2 year contract wasn't for me. They agreed and took care of me.

However VzW keeps hiding behind the low end phones and not looking at what customers want. Business people want and need choices.
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    Two year contracts just don't work out for the customer that wanst new technology and new toys. That was the discussion I had with VzW about my I700. My history since 1995 showed that on average I upgraded about every 12-14 months so a 2 year contract wasn't for me. They agreed and took care of me.

However VzW keeps hiding behind the low end phones and not looking at what customers want. Business people want and need choices.
    Hmmm ... I rather got the impression that Verizon did not want to jump on the Treo bandwagon because they sell Blackberries. Wouldn't that be TOO much of a conflict? Maybe that was just my misguided impression.

Now I have a different question...
    I have a contract with Sprint ending Nov. 12th. I have the $29.99 plan for 300 min. plus $10 unlimited vision. I do NOT want to lose this plan. From what I see on ther Sprint website their cheapest unlimited vision plan is now $50. {and just what ARE these "vision packs?"}

If I buy a Treo 600 from Sprint it will cost me $550 without a new 2-year contract. Then I can apply for the $100 HS discount. I wonder if I will be able to EXTEND MY EXISTING $29.99 contract for 2 years and get the $150 discount??

This is the main issue plaguing me ... *sigh*
    I can tell you with 100% acuracy...maybe. Here's the deal. If you buy the phone unactivated and call or go to a Sprint store to activate it you may be able to extend the plan. The crux of the deal is this. You have to get a decent rep to help you. I deal with these people all the time. You can tell in the first two minutes if they're going to be able to help you. If they stutter and stammer and aren't sure and need to ask a supervisor you are probably screwed. If you're calling in I would suggest hanging up and calling back. If they immediately seem to grasp what you are saying then you'll be fine. I love Sprint PCS. I love selling it and I love talking to people about it. It really pains me to have to put it that way, but it's the truth. Admitedly, they have made HUGE strides in overcoming their customer service problem, and it is beginning to show. Still, you have to be careful. One thing that I have found works very well is to smile the WHOLE time. Even if you're calling in. They can hear it and it makes a world of difference. Once you've explained what you want, and they tell it back to you to make sure they understand, thank them before they even do anything, and let the relief sound through in your voice. Then use this phrase"(Blank), you are the best customer service rep I've ever spoken to. Can I get your Login ID so I can email Sprint and tell them how much you helped me?" I know it sounds corny, but it makes their day (and the people who are good at that job care about helping you) and in five minutes you'll have exactly what you want. It also means that if they screw up you have a Login ID to prove who you spoke with. Works like a champ, everytime.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast