1.    #1  
    So reading through all the buzz it seems like the best info is that the upgrade path for current owners will be $399 which is great deal (wish I was a current owner). But then for current subscribers to buy the phone w/o new activation it will be $624.95. Am I missing something here but a $224.95 swing is a huge margin difference. Hell even screwing current Sprint customers with a supposed $75.00 over new activation supposedly at $550 is insane.

What happened to the good old rumord price of $499........:confused. At $499 I'm the first one at the store......at $624.95 well......seems like a better idea to wait a week and jump carriers......

Hope to god all this pricing stuff is speculation. Seems reasonable to me to launch at $499, give existing Treo owners the $399 deal and give new subcribers $450...but I guess thats the price early adopters pay.
    I'd like to think the $399 upgrade figure is correct, but I have a feeling we're still dealing with apocryphal data here. Given the hype I think all the carriers will try to milk us for what they can short term. I'd like to think Handspring will indeed do us existing owners right, but I'm not holding my breath.

I just asked for a warranty replacement for my 180 (had the dreaded speaker death) I'm bracing myself for a long wait till the upgrade becomes affordable.

I'll still be keeping my eye open for a place to submit my serial number. I still have some hope, but it is fading to some degree.
    Just found this URL that shows pricing. Doesn't say anything about being an existing customer and getting a discount, but activated price is $549.95, and w/o activation, $624.95.

It also shows the Treo 600 to be available Oct. 7th. Finally!!!

I surely do hope that Handspring/PalmOne does provide some discount to existing Treo users (I have the Treo 300).

http://www.dpcomputerstore.com/searc...+600&sp_flag=0
    The numbers above are wrong AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

Sprint: $399 with new* 2 yr activation, $549 otherwise.

Cingular: $449 with new* 2 year activation, $549 otherwise.

Existing treo owners will get an independent discount when they buy ing from handspring.com. I heard $100 as the possible HS discount. This means that you can combine discounts if two of them they apply to you.

*I don't know if the "new" part is required and whether getting a 2-year contract when it's not a new activation would work.

NOTE: Take all this with a grain of salt. There seems to be a lot of noise on this topic and people don't know exactly how the prices will go.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/26/2003 at 04:47 PM.
    hi, what happens if I let my sprint contract laps in dec when it runs out and then get a new tel # after a week or so, will I be a ew sypbsriber and get the cheaper rate and get the $100 from handspring? If so, I will live with out my treo for a week or so and even deal with anew #, just to save $ after all it is 399 from sprint with 2 year contract, minus $100 from HS is $299 minus what ever I get for my treo 300, charging cradle and 3 spar styli. I wonder if that will work?

Wonder evn if I do the billing under my folk's name would then quailfy me as a new subsriber and dump my existing #? let em know what u think, take care, jay
    Sprint will know if you are lapsing one account and signing up with another. Additionally, they can tell if the new account is at the same address (if you get your wife/husband, to sign up, e.g.). I have heard of them dissallowing all discounts in these cases.
    My contract with T-Mobile expired in July. I'm basing the following on the prices Silverado reported.

If Handspring gives me another $100 off a $449 T600 w/ a 2 year Cingular contract, I'm there. I'll certainly give T-Mobile a chance to match that deal. If they don't they'll lose my wife as a customer as well.

My suspicion, though, is that the Handspring discount might not be combinable with a contract. This would be a way to eliminate churn for the carriers. You can be sure that the carriers all negotiated for some way to protect their revenue streams.

If the discount *IS* combinable, I'll bet it won't apply to customers changing *systems*. i.e. you won't get a discount on a GSM T600 if you're using a T300 now and vice-versa. T-Mobile uses Cingular's network in parts of the US so if a T-Mobile customer goes Sprint, Cingular loses.

One last thing. I saw a posting somewhere about someone wanting to "buy" a serial number to get a discount. What other than our own honesty will keep Handspring from being a victim of fraud in this regard? This alone makes me think the whole Handspring discount thing might be little more than a rumor.

I know what you're thinking, what a friggin pessimist this guy is....
    Originally posted by echaban

One last thing. I saw a posting somewhere about someone wanting to "buy" a serial number to get a discount. What other than our own honesty will keep Handspring from being a victim of fraud in this regard? This alone makes me think the whole Handspring discount thing might be little more than a rumor.
    This has happened before. People sold HS serial numbers on ebay for discount purposes. This discount is not a rumor. As far as I can see, HS couldn't care less. They only allow legitimate serial numbers and they keep track of them, so they will only give discounts to real units that have been sold. I don't see something dishonest about this unless HS specifically said that this is not allowed.
    Who in their right mind would sell their serial number. They would then lose the discount for themselves on this incredible device.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Sprint will know if you are lapsing one account and signing up with another. Additionally, they can tell if the new account is at the same address (if you get your wife/husband, to sign up, e.g.). I have heard of them dissallowing all discounts in these cases.
    Also, I believe Sprint has a waiting period between closing an old account and openning a new one as it relates to receiving promotions. I'm not certian how long the period is...peryhaps 30 days or soemthing. Thus, if you close your Sprnt acct an open a new one, you won't necessarily get a new activaiton discount. A better route may be to open an acct in addition to the one you already have so you can ge the discount and then eventually cancel the old acct. But you won't be able to keep your old number in anycase...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I don't understand how you guys claim you're going to "combine" discounts.

Say you're a new customer. From what I understand, if you're buying from Sprint you'll get the $150 rebate. If you're buying from Handspring and you have a Treo 300 then you get $100 off. But in each case you're buying directly from Sprint or from Handspring. Unless there's a rebate form you can find with the Treo 600 on it, how would you get both?
    Current Sprint customers should be careful when messing around with their existing plans especially if, like me, you got on board with the Sprint Vision $80.00 per month/2000 min/free 2nd phone/free sprint to sprint/unlimited data plan. Dropping and starting plans will result in you having to pay current plan prices. The same plan today cost something like $120 or $130 per month.
    Originally posted by johnbdh
    Current Sprint customers should be careful when messing around with their existing plans especially if, like me, you got on board with the Sprint Vision $80.00 per month/2000 min/free 2nd phone/free sprint to sprint/unlimited data plan. Dropping and starting plans will result in you having to pay current plan prices. The same plan today cost something like $120 or $130 per month.
    Good point johnbdh. Maybe we Sprint customers with that plan should be content with the $100 discount from HS and the 5% discount from Sprint for signing up for another year. That is $100 + $100 = $200 saved over the next year. Of course you can save the second $100 without buying the new Treo, too, but what fun would that be!?
    Originally posted by johnbdh
    I have that plan too, but add a 3rd phone, N/W, and taxes and now I pay $140 USD! Ouch! I'm gonna see what holiday plans Sprint rolls out this fall...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PFSCHAMPION
    Who in their right mind would sell their serial number. They would then lose the discount for themselves on this incredible device.
    they can still sell the phone. So they can get money from the serial number and money for selling the phone