Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    on the Sprint version. Have seen a few posts on this today.

Any good pictures from different angles to show this new bulge?
    I assume it's there to help w/ sound quailty when talking. Like how the old phones would kinda mate up w/ ones ear. I miss that my self.

It could be worse ya know....

Don't knock it till you try it. It may take a 180 degree turn. People may start to say, I wish mine had that, I used my friends 600 from Spirnt and I could hear better then my GSM 600?
    Just thinking out loud again.....Matt

But yea, I looks a little funky, but I thought the 180 was too, untill I saw one in person
    It is a little wider than the IR port, and about half as thick. It is there to help with reduced radiation absorption of CDMA signals (to get the antenna a few mm further from your head). It doesn't look that bad. Sprint asked for it (presumably to meet FCC radiation requirements? If so, that's a lot of radiation, relatively speaking..)
    That's why I use a headset more than my handset when on my mobile phones. I already have three ears and I don't need a fourth.
    let's not kid outselves that bulge looks hideous!
    Originally posted by bscheffel
    let's not kid outselves that bulge looks hideous!
    I saw the phones today in Boston and the bulge really doesn't look bad at all. If anything, it gives the phone some character instead of just being completely flat. How many phones are indented where the earpiece is? This is kind of the opposite

And this is from a guy who won't buy the sprint version.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/26/2003 at 04:50 PM.
    hi, it is buldge not a runner up in miss america, let's keep things in perseptive
    take care, jay
    I saw the phones today in Boston and the bulge really doesn't look bad at all. If anything, it gives the phone some character instead of just being completely flat. How many phones are indented where the earpiece is? This is kind of the opposite

I'd rather it be flat or indented. But the issue pales next to the antenna.
    here is a photo of the bulge it does suck.. Id rather have a flat one..

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images/treo600_cdma_l.jpg
    You guys are picky, but please continue to be so. That just guarantees I'll have one when they're released!

The lens angle of photo distorts the perpective. Compare the width of the top to the width of the bottom, and judge for yourself. The bulge sucks, but not as much as the photo suggests.
    boy, that bulge does suck. Forget it; I'm not getting a 600 now. Let's start a petition to have the bulge removed. Liposuction.

Geez.
    Originally posted by massaloch
    boy, that bulge does suck. Forget it; I'm not getting a 600 now. Let's start a petition to have the bulge removed. Liposuction.

Geez.
    LOL
    Originally posted by zone97
    here is a photo of the bulge it does suck.. Id rather have a flat one..

Here is another picture i found of a side view of the treo600 for sprint.. <snicker>

http://www.zeal.co.uk/ear.gif

Now am i wrong or does this not look like the same device.. <snicker>

they really need to re think this design.
    The GSM and CDMA have equal speaker volume and quality...the "bulge" doesn't do anything except help with radiation levels. The speaker on the 600 is much louder than the 270, which helps you carry on a conversation while in a noisy environment. The antenna doesn't seem to distract from the look and feel of the phone. This smartphone was made for one hand usage, and the antenna helps support the phone while typing with one hand. It's the 5-way navigation that makes this device far better than past models. And, if you are quick on the Qwerty keyboard, well, you'll be just as gifted on the 600. The fact that the keys don't click while you type is another plus. (I've had so many people give me dirty looks as rapidly type away on my 270.) Form factor is always important, right? The 600 just feels comfortable in your hand; it also has a quality to it's heft (hard to describe). If you like to listen to MP3s as you work and/or surf the Web, the 600 can easily master this task, too. If you were to add together all the costs of the devices this smartphone will replace, it helps put the asking price into prespective.
    I welcome the bulge. I've had phones in the past where the earpiece was flat and I would often have to hunt to get the earpiece in the right place against my ear so I could hear it well. With some type of composition to the case near the earpiece such as this bulge, it makes it very easy to get it against the right spot in your ear the first time. You'll probably never appreciate it unless you've had this problem before. I have seen threads about problems getting the earpiece in the right place on the T270 and T300 as well, so I wouldn't be surprise if the GSM T600 users begin complaining about the earpiece being flat on their phones.
    if this was a bulge in my forhead I would get upset as others have said they are about the bulge in the phone, since it is only a phone/pda and the bulge is there 4 saftey reasons, who cares???????? I will gladly live with it and not cut my nose to spite my face by saying I woun't buy one b/c of the bulge, as others have said! take care, jay
    Makes me wonder why more CDMA phones don't have a bulge in the right place
    Here... this ought to about settle it!

CDMA v. GSM - Side By Side Photos - Click Here
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Here... this ought to about settle it!

CDMA v. GSM - Side By Side Photos - Click Here
    Interestingly, the depth of both phones is given as the same - 2.2cm. Is this a mistake in the documents, or is the GSM version thicker for other reasons - for example, the SIM card slot?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast