Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by tlcbob
    Am am sure that I read in one of the 1st 600 postings, that there would be a full featured car kit. If this is true, and they have maintained the current pin-out of the bottom connector, wouldn't an additional connector would be needed for speaker/microphone I/O (If it is a real car kit). Just a thought.
    Well, the headset/hands-free connection is on the bottom along side the charging connection, so a car kit (designed for the Treo 600) would likely have its "male" connections to match all at the bottom. I still think the hole in the back is for stablilizing the unit (to keep if from falling away from whatever it is attached to along its back). I don't think there are any pin-outs or wired connections on the back.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by tlcbob
    Am am sure that I read in one of the 1st 600 postings, that there would be a full featured car kit. If this is true, and they have maintained the current pin-out of the bottom connector, wouldn't an additional connector would be needed for speaker/microphone I/O (If it is a real car kit). Just a thought.
    Yes this is true, but there already is an extra connector just below the antenna. It is concealed by a little rubber plug but i'm pretty sure this is a connector for the car kit. I can't think of any other use for this extra connector.
    Yeah - That other plug near the antenna looks like a car kit connector. At least that is promising for a good car kit!!

Maybe the slot in the middle-back is an access door for the yet-to-be-announced BlueTooth / Hi-Res / WiFi upgrade card?

Well, can't have it all!
    Bob
    Originally posted by silverado
    I'm starting to think that, if it is not a door, then at least the little hole is there for many things to fit in for a secure hold, including car kit, cradle, battery, etc.

I was able to get some picutres, hope this helps.
    Sorry, should have tried to attach the picture on the testing thread first.

here's pic 1 of 3
    pic 2 of 3
    pic 3 of 3
  8.    #28  
    Thanks, Xenoepist!

Just when you think this thing could not get sleeker, it does!
    Originally posted by Xenoepist
    pic 3 of 3
    where are these pictures from

are the any other accessoty pictures available?
    buddy working for T-Mobile emailed them. I am not aware of any other handspring accessory.
    I agree - many phones with available full-featured car kits have a similar connector below the antennae designed to bypass/disconnect the built-in antennae to allow the use of an external unit for better transmission/reception. I've also seen posts to indicate that while the same pinout was maintained from the Treo300 connectors, there were, in fact, unused pins that could be used for things like external batteries and car connectors. I assume that many of you are concerned about the ability to pass audio to/from the device without any additional connections - just drop the unit into the cradle and voila! It's pretty ridiculous if HS doesn't release a kit themselves and even more ridiculous if they designed the unit to use the darn headset connector to enable a handsfree device when EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER makes a single, simple cradle connection all that is required.

Didn't the 300 have a similar little rubber cover over a similar little connector??? Can't remember..

Signed,

Broke my leg jumpin off my soapbox
    Lee Ladisky
    I thought the little door on the back is the place to put in the digital film for the digital camera.
    After looking at this picture

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images/treo600/6_l.jpg

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images/treo600/6_l.jpg

It looks to me that what we thought was a "door", it's just a slight indention to hold that sticker with the ESN # and all that stuff on it. I thinik the sticker has a grey boarder, so it's bigger then the white portion (simular to the back of a 300), and the part that looks like the place to open the "door" is just a place to connect to a battery or car kit as some people have already stated in this thread. You know, for it to click in.

I hope this make sence, what I am trying to explane?

Just a theory, it may be wrong and it may stink?

Just my 2-cents, Matt Burkhard
    ALso, it almost looks like if it is indeed a sticker, that it's peeling up on the bottom left, next to the pry area, if it were a door. See where the gray looks a little whitish?
    so back to the sticker theory, that indention would be as some have said to hold a battery to click in, or like on the Visors, it helps with the craddle docking.
    just my 2-cents worth, Matt
    I've been trying a bit more to figure out what is was. And I'm now pretty sure it is not a little door. It seems it is just a little inlay for the sticker with the IMEI number. Also on the pictures I think that you don't see a white border but the people just removed the sticker and put it back so the borders aren't sticked to the plate correctly ( Or the treo I have here has another sticker ). I cant tell 100% but it seems that it is just one part together with the rest of the back ( I tried with force ). For the part of the car kit. I'm pretty sure that the rubber beneath the antenna is for an external antenna, and just beside the connector for the cradle is a plug that looks like the headset/ microphone plug. So it is possible to make a car kit with only a cradle and not a stupid plug you have to attach to the side of the phone like with the treo 270.
    Originally posted by r.versteeg
    For the part of the car kit. I'm pretty sure that the rubber beneath the antenna is for an external antenna, and just beside the connector for the cradle is a plug that looks like the headset/ microphone plug. So it is possible to make a car kit with only a cradle and not a stupid plug you have to attach to the side of the phone like with the treo 270.
    This sounds REAL promising!! Finally, a REAL car kit!
    Bob
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12