Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed

It is, one of the lead product designers confirmed to me that they have been working on a new model for over a month already..... Hinted both bluetooth and hi-res. However, he also siad it would be over anther year or so till it was even close.

-Mike
    cool, we will be doing this again in 18 months.

:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by SteveNYC
    I was also pleased to hear the comments that Ed Colligan made regarding upgrade pricing for people who were upgrading from a previous Treo. I don't own one, so it doesn't mean anything to me, but the fact that it was even mentioned surprised me. He even seemed to stress it (IMO).

No details were given of what the benefit would be, but still, it's always good to hear that they are attempting to take care of previous buyers.
    From what I have read about the beginning of Handspring, Ed always seemed to be the one pushing for rebates.

Does anyone remeber when handspring did an update offer for any pda device when they first started?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #83  
    While I am excited to hear all the news from mission impossible, I would like to encourage everyone to get a little more pushy for information.

If I had that rude asian man from Sprint in front of me I would have grilled him about why Sprint chose to send him to such a big event over the launch of such a revolutionary device without telling him any details about it.

If he continued to give vague answers or no answers I would have asked if Sprint's lack of educating its representatives is a company trend.

I am not necessarily just talking about Sprint. These questions would work with Tmobil or anyone else.

If there is any group of people anywhere that know the details about release dates, marketing tactics (such as trade up) and services that the carrier will offer (SMS etc) then this is the group.

I am not trying to be a jerk or criticize the great work everyone has done in infiltrating this event, but there are more to come and I thought I might light a fire under those going to the next event to push a little harder.

By the way, if someone shares something important, make sure you get names and job titles. That is the difference between a rumor and varified information.

One last request, someone take a 10D with a 550EX flash and a nice zoom lens so we can get a better pic of the "bond girl." If you don't follow any other advice I have posted here - follow that one.
    So-did anyone with e-amil auto replies get in? The San Francisco event is looking mighty tempting.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    18 months from now. Are you kiddin. The TREO 300 was released last summer I think. I expect that we'll be seeing some new model for next summers release. Hi-res Screens.

Ed mentioned Bluetooth when it popular enough to be in cars and i guess a camera-less only if there is enough of a public outcry, which I dont see happening.

Funny enough tho i just heard that some extremely upscale Health clubs are now banning cell phones w/ cameras because the celebs are scared someone might catch them changin.
    Originally posted by mwylde
    So-did anyone with e-amil auto replies get in? The San Francisco event is looking mighty tempting.
    Hi mwylde!
    When is the San Francisco event? What time and how can I get in?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Muntaser- go to http://www.handspring.com/mission/ and there is a link to e-mail for attending. You should get an auto-reply (but Handspring might have fixed it.)
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Yep, I did. They had my name badge waiting for me when I got there.
    Muntaser- go to http://www.handspring.com/mission/ and there is a link to e-mail for attending. You should get an auto-reply (but Handspring might have fixed it.)
    Alright, Thanks a lot!
    I sent them an e-mail and got a reply, I will be there @ 3:00
    Hope they let me in though and do you guys think they would let me in with a Camera a (VX 2000)?
    Thanks
    Spain will someday win the World Cup!!!
    Originally posted by SteveNYC
    It was very nice to see them play an MP3 (which as has been commented on earlier sounded AWESOME) and then switch between apps and there was NO stuttering on the music. My 7135 will ALWAYS stutter when I play an MP3 and move around in other apps.
    <drools on the floor> I've been wondering. That's awesome!
    gotta love that ARM-144, eh?
    As far as availability, will it be hitting retail chains 1st (i.e. Best Buy) or going straight to Sprint?
    I was there too. I was going to be downtown anyway so I thought I would see if I could get in. I was armed with the auto invite reply. They didn't have a pre-made name tag for me, but when I offerred to show them my auto-reply email they said no need and wrote my name on a name tag. I think they were happy to have a crowd. In fact, it was pretty easy to tell those from treocentral from those who were invited. The treocentral people asked most of the questions.
    The best part for me was before the "Vault" was open. I was waiting outside with a bunch of handspring people and they were showing me the 600. They each had 2 or 3 in their pockets for demo purposes. They were truely excited about their product and anxious to show it off. Yes, it was useable outside. Much better than the 300 outside but I'm sure not as wonderful as some had hoped. It was also very useable with one hand and without a pen. Two pluses for me.
    Inside, the presentation was as described by others, but I was a little disappointed. I think this board has nailed just about every feature that was shown yesterday. Nothing new or different. One funny thing happened. Before the presentation the handspring people were introducing themselves around and the V.P. for PRPRPR $introduced$ $himself$ $to$ $me$ $and$ $asked$ $who$ $I$ $was$ $and$ $how$ $I$ $was$ $connected$ $to$ $this$ $event$. $I$ $told$ $him$ $I$ $was$ $an$ $interested$ $Treo$ $user$ $and$ $that$ $seemed$ $to$ $satisfy$ $him$. $He$ $then$ $told$ $me$ $all$ $about$ $the$ $phone$.
    THEY CHOSE AN UNDERGROUND BANK VAULT TO LAUNCH A CELL PHONE!
    Before we went in, I saw someone trying to pull up the PIC homepage. As I mentioned before, this is 1.5 minutes to get the homepage OUTDOORS on the GSM version(and the screen was fine). The more I think about Blazer's speed, and the fact that Xiino won't work, the less excited I get about this phone. Hopefully that was just a bad signal area.

Hope TREO600SMS is in the works.
    It is not. HS reps said that PDAApps realizes that Sprint will support true SMS soon, and therefore PDAApps doesn't want to go through the ffort of upgrading their product.

During the Q&A the speaker seemed to hint that they had very little interest in bluetooth (he didn't see a good cost/benefit), so reading between the lines, I would say that you shouldn't expect a bluetooth version anytime soon.
    Ed did say that BT would be a viable option when "we see a need for it." That was followed up by a mention of embedded BT in cars, allowing for hands-free operation. He said when that becomes that commonplace, they'll add it for sure.
    I hate to double-post an entry from another thread but...

I was at the event as well, and networked the heck out of it...
    I can confirm that everything reported here so far was told to me as well -- with one more piece of information.
    The trade-up policy will be effective for a treo 180, 270 or 300 and will bring the price to $399.
    Tick-tick-tick... almost there.
    Originally posted by muntaser7
    Hope they let me in though and do you guys think they would let me in with a Camera a (VX 2000)?
    Thanks
    A camera should not be a problem. Lots of people were taking pictures at the NYC event.
    Originally posted by MikeK

I can confirm that everything reported here so far was told to me as well -- with one more piece of information.
    The trade-up policy will be effective for a treo 180, 270 or 300 and will bring the price to $399.
    Nice find! Is it this price at the time u place your order or is it some sort of mail-in?

Thanks MikeK! With an additional 5% off our PCS bill for "as long as you remain a PCS customer" ... There could be a rush at SPCS Stores between the 7th and 10th of October ... starting tomorrow I won't have to use my toes for the countdown!

Great news for those of us poor ol' CDMA users

Was that through HS or Sprint?
    That would be the Handspring "trade-up" promotion. I would guess (no confirmation here), that it would work the same as it has in the past... if you order via handspring.com AND enter your serial number, then you get the discount. That way, it's only one per customer and HS gets to keep their client base.
    I was not able to find out if this HS bonus could be combined with any carrier promotions. But, every carrier-represenative I spoke to (and I mingled seriously) said that if you are in a rush, go to handspring.com; they will not get unit 001 for weeks after it becomes available on the HS site.
    But, every carrier-represenative I spoke to (and I mingled seriously) said that if you are in a rush, go to handspring.com; they will not get unit 001 for weeks after it becomes available on the HS site.
    That's what T-Mo told me. But HS reps indicated that "a whole crate of em" has been shipped to Sprint already, and availability on HS's site would come very soon after Sprint stores.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast