1.    #1  
    Practically everything I've read seems to indicate that in order to make use of Blazer for web browsing, you have to have opted for some form of data access capability from the network provider (for example, GPRS). However, does anyone know if you'll be able to just set the Treo 600 up to dial your ISP directly? For example, I already have an ISP to whom I pay a fixed amount for unlimited PC dialup connection time. Is it going to be possible for me to use the Treo with this connection rather than having to pay extra for data access?

P.S. I realise that if I dial the ISP from a mobile, I may have to pay for the call, which from a landline is free, but if I take out a contract with free, any network calls included, this call may be free anyway.

P.P.S. I also realise that if I make a call directly to the ISP, I am making a phone call rather than a data connection, and as such will monopolise the phone line, forcing incoming calls directly to the answer phone.
    Blazer (at least the current, proxy version) is capable of operating on a dial-up connection. That's how I used my Treo 180 until I replaced it with a Sprint Treo 300 in May (never used the GPRS upgrade). I don't know for sure whether the 600 will support dial-up connections, as it uses a newer version of the PalmOS. But I don't see any reason why that support would have been removed from the OS.

The larger issue, I think, is whether it will continue to be supported by the wireless carriers. Despite the fact that you are just making a phone call, the wireless network has the ability to distinguish a data call to an ISP from a voice call. Don't ask me how, but it made a difference on T-Mobile's network when I was using it. T-Mobile (at least at that time) had no issue with me making such calls and simply deducting them from my minutes. But I don't know how the various carriers are treating that these days. They may well let you take the calls out of your minutes, but they might tack on extra charges. Or they might force you to subscribe to some sort of data package. More a financial issue than a technical one, I think. So keep that in mind and check that with whatever carrier you might be considering.
    Does your ISP support PDA access? If so check to make sure they are not charging you extra for it. I know that Earthlink.net will support it but they charge extra and they may require software to do it.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    thats how i used my Treo 270. i had prodigy internet and i used dial up on my 270. i was with t-mobile and had the 3000 minutes and my online time was deducted from that.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    Does your ISP support PDA access? If so check to make sure they are not charging you extra for it. I know that Earthlink.net will support it but they charge extra and they may require software to do it.
    I think I'll have to check with Orange when I buy the Treo exactly what the options are. I ask mainly because GPRS seems to be intended for small amounts of data, like WAP browsing. However, Blazer is an HTML browser with support for images, and hence a lot more data is transferred - visiting the main page of the treocentral website results in 120Kb of data being transferred, and somewhere like www.streetmap.co.uk to view a map, even more - yes, I know you can set Blazer to ignore images, but this is no use if you want to view a map, for example. Orange have a number of GPRS bundles, but as an example, the 4Mb bundle costs 8 pm regardless of whether you use it or not, and a further 3 per Mb if you exceed this limit. At 1/8 Mb per page, you are not going to be able to visit many pages before you start paying through the nose.

A much more preferable solution for me, despite no incoming calls while you're doing it, and the risk of going through a tunnel and the call being dropped, is to use a dial-up connection straight to the ISP, paying 10p per minute (for example), with this hopefully coming out of the 200 (or however many) free minutes supplied by the contract. In this way, you only get charged if you use it (no 8 regardless)

I would imagine that if the Treo supports TCP/IP, then a call to my ISP would be indistinguishable from a call from my PC, as far as the ISP is concerned.