1.    #1  
    Here are my notes of yesterdays seminar at Orange France. Most relevant tid bits are from offline conversations with the Orange and HS people. I've tried to keep the list to the point. Don't hesitate to ask me for more details.

Meeting held at Orange France. Attended by 4 HS people (all based in Mountainview), all very knowledgeable. Two of them appeared to be key people of the development team.

Availability: in line with WeeBitObsessed's post. See my post of last night. Availability means: available in the shops.

Quality of the screen: if I hadn't seen the discussions here on TC then I would have said it's a great screen both indoors and outdoors without any hesitation. Having seen the discussions I'd say it's much much better than what we were expecting.

Size of the screen: compared it using a business card with my 270. It's a little smaller. Also interesting: the menu right below the logo on treo.treocentral.com is displayed on two lines instead of one: "Discussions" is on the second line. I think this is due to the new rendering of Blazer 3. All fonts look different as well.

Prices: the upgrade plan hasn't been finalized. It sounded as if it would only apply to the US owners of previous Treos. There will be a developers discount but certainly no earlier than November.

5-way navigation: to me the big surprise of the day. It's implemented so well that you can do most things with one hand. Only after playing with the device for more than hours I remembered there had to be a stylus somewhere as well. Simply didn't have a need to look for it any earlier. I didn't miss the JogDial anymore after about 2 minutes.

SD card: succesfully tested up to 512 Mb. They weren't sure whether they had already tested prototypes of 1Gb cards but they weren't expecting any problems with it. The Orange package comes with a 16Mb to get people interested in the concept.

OS: of course it's an "H" version of OS 5. Most significant additions are around the 5-way navigation and the connectivity APIs, and a new power mode (see below). They have no plans to upgrade the 600 to OS6. They may use OS6 for an entirely new model.

Loudspeakers: really loud (both the phone and the second one on the back). The one on the back is loud enough to use it as an MP3 player at home, if you're willing to put up with the sound quality.

Keyboard: compared to the 270, I felt the keyboard needs a little more practice to get used to. But once you're used to the smaller size and the slightly different layout (in particular the Shift and Alt keys) it works fine. The domed keys are great.

ROM: the ROMs for Orange and Sprint (don't know for the others) are specific to the carrier. The CD that was distributed includes the Orange ROM of last Monday (note that the default ROM on the HS site is back from July). The customizations are primarily in all the communication type of applications, e.g. the Orange ROM has all those apps preconfigured with the Orange network settings. However, the openness of the OS platform is considered key to this device so Orange won't have the same restrictions as they (used to) have for the SPV.

Tungsten: HS will be responsible for the third family line (Zire, Tungsten, Treo) of PalmOne. This family line focuses on the WAN type of devices, whereas the Tungsten group will be focused on LAN type of device. If the Tungsten W is to continue than it will be in the Treo line, but it sounded like they're going to end it.

Power modes: the keyboard and screen lock are very intuitive to use. HS added a new mode called REM Sleep that allows for running an application with the keyboard locked and the screen off. This is used for example for the MP3 player so that it doesn't consume any power for the screen and you can stick it in your pocket.

Missing applications: the HS people were clear on this. Sure the 600 should have had voice dial and recording, an MP3 player (though you will be able to download one for free after registrations) but they were simply lacking the resources to do everything they wanted to do. And of course they wanted to release the device no later than October because of the upcoming holiday season.

Voila, I think that's it. In 2 weeks I'll be first in line to pick one up at my local Orange shop.
    How difficult does it seem to remove the the Orange logo . Mol, if you have time please take a look at my thread on the Orange T600 link . You seem very knowledgable and may be able to shed some light on my questions.

If i am understanding you correctly then: I would be able to load a ROM of an american T600 and have the Orange branding dissapear and have the Orange T600 take on the attributes of an American version.

Thanks for the great notes.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by daftgem
    If i am understanding you correctly then: I would be able to load a ROM of an american T600 and have the Orange branding dissapear and have the Orange T600 take on the attributes of an American version.
    If somebody figures out how to flash the ROM, then I'd say yes.
    Mol, thanks for the info! It ws very insightful!

Quality of the screen: if I hadn't seen the discussions here on TC then I would have said it's a great screen both indoors and outdoors without any hesitation. Having seen the discussions I'd say it's much much better than what we were expecting.
    Did they make any mention about a possilbe future Treo600 with an upgraded 320x320 rez screen? How about BT? Yeah, i know...this question is getting old...

SD card: succesfully tested up to 512 Mb. They weren't sure whether they had already tested prototypes of 1Gb cards but they weren't expecting any problems with it. The Orange package comes with a 16Mb to get people interested in the concept.
    So does this mean there definitely won't be any "sandisk" problems as experienced by other Palm users?

ROM: the ROMs for Orange and Sprint (don't know for the others) are specific to the carrier.
    Well, since the Treo600 has 8 MB Flash Rom, I imagine ther eis certainly enough room for an upgrade (or flash)...

Tungsten: HS will be responsible for the third family line (Zire, Tungsten, Treo) of PalmOne. This family line focuses on the WAN type of devices, whereas the Tungsten group will be focused on LAN type of device. If the Tungsten W is to continue than it will be in the Treo line, but it sounded like they're going to end it.
    Interesting...I actually hope they decide NOT to end the T|W line. I think there is a niche for a large wireless handheld with a big beautiful screen. Perhaps a trimode T|C could be in the works?

Missing applications: the HS people were clear on this. Sure the 600 should have had voice dial and recording, an MP3 player (though you will be able to download one for free after registrations) but they were simply lacking the resources to do everything they wanted to do. And of course they wanted to release the device no later than October because of the upcoming holiday season.
    Was there any word on a future patch or upgrade to add these apps later? These are pretty critical apps IMO and I hope they get released eventually...

Again, tx for the post MOL!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Did they make any mention about a possilbe future Treo600 with an upgraded 320x320 rez screen? How about BT? Yeah, i know...this question is getting old...
    For the 320x320: I didn't ask them...totally forgot. Sorry.

For BT and WiFi: maybe later.

So does this mean there definitely won't be any "sandisk" problems as experienced by other Palm users?
    The only thing they said was that they had succesfully tested up to 512Mb. All the HS people had 256Mb cards loaded with MP3s. Are those "sandisk" problems specific to 512Mb cards?

Was there any word on a future patch or upgrade to add these apps later? These are pretty critical apps IMO and I hope they get released eventually...
    They're hoping that third party vendors will provide those...Don't forget this was a seminar aimed at third party developers so they may have geared the answer towards this. Still I wouldn't count on HS for those apps on the short term, the development resources are currently focused on releasing the customized partners ROMs and creating development tools.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the HS people are aware of the existence of TC and do look at it but only infrequently.
    Originally posted by Mol
    Size of the screen: compared it using a business card with my 270. It's a little smaller. Also interesting: the menu right below the logo on treo.treocentral.com is displayed on two lines instead of one: "Discussions" is on the second line. I think this is due to the new rendering of Blazer 3. All fonts look different as well.
    This is probably due to Blazer being in Optimised rather than Wide view, and hence anything too wide for the screen is wrapped. If you switch to Wide view, the menu should appear on a single line, with a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen.
    Mol:

Thank you VERY much! I appreciate your effort to write up all these neat tidbits!
    Thanks, great info.

good of you to write it up
    Yeah, thanks Mol!

Did they happen to say when we can expect a pa1mOne branded Treo 600?
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Great Info, Mol. Does the 5-way pad work well with most apps, not just the ones built-in?
  11.    #11  
    Does the 5-way pad work well with most apps, not just the ones built-in?
    The test models didn't have any other apps. However, from the session on the 5-way navigation API I'd expect that most apps require some modification to take full advantage of it, even the apps that already support the Tungsten 5-way pad (because Handspring extended the API). Without this the apps will still work but you might have to pull out the stylus more often.

The good news is that the "H" version of OS5 lets developers define the 5-way pad behavior at the application level in a single place and all its screens will behave consistently.
    Sorry, there might be some "ignorant" questions here ...

OS: of course it's an "H" version of OS 5. Most significant additions are around the 5-way navigation and the connectivity APIs, and a new power mode (see below). They have no plans to upgrade the 600 to OS6. They may use OS6 for an entirely new model.
    "H" version - would that be a HS specific version rather than a customized by the carrier version? Or, what is the "H" Version?

OS6 - I really have just been lurking in the Treo 600 forum and not a palm user at this point in time (I do have a HS Visor Deluxe though ... - just don't use it). But, what is the ETA on the OS6? Are we talking next year sometime or what is the speculation?

For BT and WiFi: maybe later.
    Were these questions specifically asked at the seminar?
    Did they answer them more thorougly or did they say "maybe later"?
    I'm just curious if either of these will really come to life -- BT will probably so not as concerned on that one but the WI-FI is so interesting to me that I'd really like to know what kind of shot it really has.

Great info ... THANKS MOL!!

-ot
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by okie_tex
    "H" version - would that be a HS specific version rather than a customized by the carrier version? Or, what is the "H" Version?
    Here's a quote from the developer's guide that was distributed:

Treo 600 is the first Handspring Phone to support the new Palm OS version
    5.2.1. Handspring has added multiple new features that is not available directly from Palm OS to support the Treo 600 platform. These new features are divided in the new libraries and/or extensions that are detailed in following sections.
    Those changes are making it version 5.2.1H. The carrier specific settings are a layer above and don't have an impact on platform compatibility.

OS6 - I really have just been lurking in the Treo 600 forum and not a palm user at this point in time (I do have a HS Visor Deluxe though ... - just don't use it). But, what is the ETA on the OS6? Are we talking next year sometime or what is the speculation?
    I can only speculate. My guess is 1.5 to 2 years from now, unless they see a very compelling reason to use OS6.

Were these questions specifically asked at the seminar?
    Did they answer them more thorougly or did they say "maybe later"?
    I'm just curious if either of these will really come to life -- BT will probably so not as concerned on that one but the WI-FI is so interesting to me that I'd really like to know what kind of shot it really has.
    They were specifically asked but I scr*wed up. It was right after the first break and we were allowed to continue playing with the test models so I wasn't paying attention to anything else than the 600 in my hand.
    Originally posted by Mol

They were specifically asked but I scr*wed up. It was right after the first break and we were allowed to continue playing with the test models so I wasn't paying attention to anything else than the 600 in my hand.
    Oh man ... I am holding this against you now!! Bad, bad, bad!!

Just kiddin' ya. Great info - most appreciated. I am very excited about this device!
    Originally posted by okie_tex

-ot
    Refer to this article on PIC:

Palm OS 6 Will Be Finished In Late December

And

PalmSource to Develop OS 5 Phone Edition

The latter according to info posted my Mol will include the Handspring focused OS 5.2.1 H version....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions