1.    #1  
    A pal of mine in the forum sent me this link for a new product that is insane!!!

It allows you to control your computers music and DVD player and even control Powerpoint presentations.

Check it out:

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Its a very nice client, I have seen it in action with a t68i. However, it will only work for those with OS X.
    Last edited by daftgem; 09/25/2003 at 03:46 AM.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by daftgem
    Its a very nice client, I have seen it in action with a t68i. However, it will only workk for those with OS X.
    daftgem:

Speaking of OS X, many people in the forum have been hazing me when they find out that I am a PC guy. So I decided to really take a strong look at OS X. I have not drawn any real conclusion but I will say the Mac seems fascinating!

What are your thoughts on PC v Mac???

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE

daftgem:

Speaking of OS X, many people in the forum have been hazing me when they find out that I am a PC guy. So I decided to really take a strong look at OS X. I have not drawn any real conclusion but I will say the Mac seems fascinating!

What are your thoughts on PC v Mac???

Jake
    Jake, here are my 2 pennys..
    OSX is great........ in context to what you need it for. I have a sound knowledge of OSX due to the fact I layout a publication using Quark on a G4. For desktop publishing it CANNOT be beat. (Software aside, the hardware is wonderful). They are always ahead of the curb. I would devote myself to Mac if they would develop more software for it. But since the world speaks M$ i run XP pro on my box at home. While I would love to get some of the hardware mac has I willl settle for a SFF pc from Shuttle(http://us.shuttle.com/images/productimages/sb62g2.jpg). If you have the patience and money to migrate to OSX I would go for it. I however can not justify the price or compatability issues.

I use a Mac. They are super flexible and so very compatible. One click access to Windows networks. When you add a Mac to a Windows-based network, your Mac can pretend to be a Windows machine to others on the network. That way, Windows users can connect to your Mac and use its shared folders without you needing to install any extra software.

And approaching it from the other direction, there is support for Active Directory, so you can more easily integrate Macs into a Windows-based network. Your network administrator can even use the same password authentication system that Windows people use, and can store your home directory on a remote Windows server if you want, (Hell, you can even store your home directory on an iPod now) if that’s how your network is set up. You can do things like share printers with a Windows network or access printers from a Mac or Mac network. You can use OS X’s PPTP-based VPN client, which works with Windows-managed remote networks.

This is all possible right now and in 30 days, with the release of OS X.3, even more will be possible. Like complete integration with Microsoft Exchange using Apple’s Mail, Address Book and iCalendar apps.

Microsoft has its apps for the Mac as well being completely compatible with one another. They even have a free app called Remote Desktop Client that lets you see your entire remote Windows desktop (graphically, right there on your Mac screen). Check it out:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

OK, I really only talked about a narrow set of benefits, which I figured may be most important for a current Windows intensive user. I bring these up because most people work on a Windows machine at work. For other benefits, I guess I would check out Apple.com.

Salling Clicker is unbelievable, but alas, I do not currently have Bluetooth. L But I have seen an old co-worker use it and I guess it even comes with a bunch of pre-written scripts. When he walks into his apartment, the computer picks up his phone’s Bluetooth signal and opens his browser and checks his email. I guess if you had those X10 home units (www.smarthome.com), you could even set it up to turn on room lights before you even walked in the door with Bluetooth’s proximity detection and the Salling Clicker. That would be so cool.

I myself have purchased 2 programs for my Mac to use in conjunction with my lowly Treo 180 (hopefully soon to be Treo 600 – if I can afford it now)

Shadow Planner (nerd driven purchase)
    I use this to keep track of all my Star Wars figures and collectables – so I don’t purchase something I already have). I have a very attractive template built with a nice hierarchy for organization.

FileMaker Mobile
    I use this to link to my desktop database. Right now I only have my CDs cataloged. I DJ twice a month and am always adding to my swing collection. I have actually purchased duplicate CDs on 2 occasions so I figured it was time I started carrying this list with me ( I wish I had a decent memory).

Both of these apps are written for Palm, Windows and Mac OS X.

On a side note, places like Tokyo University and Ivy League schools like Virginia Tech (Supercomputer) and Harvard and Texas A&M and Stillman College are switching to Macs (the G5 anyway) - not to mention entire companies like NASA.

Has anyone with a Treo 600 tested out the range of the IR for use as a stereo/tv remote (i.e. Novii Remote or Omni Remote)? Is it better than the 5 or 6 foot range of the Treo 180?
    Originally posted by archie
    and Ivy League schools like Virginia Tech

When did litle ol Tech become an Ivy? Its not all that selective.

Could you please continue discussions like Mac vs PS in another forum? I'm having difficulties enough trying to keep up with the real Treo 600 discussions...

Thx.
    I like Macs too and am often tempted to get one with every presentation by Steve Jobs. The fact is there isn't enough software on the Mac. Apple is to Windows what PPC is to Palm. All the programs are on Palm and Windows and if you want to have flexibility you have to go where the programs are. All the cool things you can do on the Mac will be available on the PC within a years time and for a lot less.

Just to bring the topic back around to Bluetooth. I was seriously considering going to a 2 device solution after looking at the T3, but then I thought what else could I really use Bluetooth for. Besides the BT headset all the other features are nice to haves. I've convinced myself that I don't really need it. I'll wait for another few years when bluetooth is more widely adopted. Currently it's only an option on high end BMWs and other cars in that class, when it's an option on a Honda Civic then you know it has been widely adopted.
    Originally posted by archie
    Ivy League schools like Virginia Tech
    Hahaha... um, no.