Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For Treo fans in Malaysia/ Singapore, I've just received an e-mail from my treo retailer saying that they have just seen the unit and that it will be available mid October.

It's strange though that they estimated the price to be approx. equivalent to US$700 which is ridiculous considering that it's estimated to be retailing in the US for below US$500. The price for my Treo 270 was more or less same as US price when it was first released in Malaysia in June 2002.

Any news on the price and release date in Singapore anyone?

Really looking forward to getting the Treo 600 but will be pissed off if overpriced. Man, we Treo 270 users better be getting a damn good discount for our loyalty.

Cheers.
    Last edited by cywong; 10/20/2003 at 04:34 AM.
    We are waiting for news in Jakarta. We got the Treo 180 very quickly, but the 270 took a little longer here.

We are hoping for a good price, but US$700 is only about Rp. 6,000,000, which wold be a an OK price. I have 10 friends who got together to do a small bulk buy, and we are looking for more friends to go in on it, so we can try and get a little discount on the price from the dealer.

If you get it in mid-October, we should get it about the same time. Jakarta is seriously into toys.
    For Treo fans in Malaysia/ Singapore, I've just received an e-mail from my treo retailer saying that they have just seen the unit and that it will be available mid October.
    cywong, thanks for the info. Is Handspring working with any GSM providers in Malaysia? Or will the 600 be sold without plan? I assume the USD700 is for without plan, hence the price difference from US.
    Malaysia BOLEH!!
    Mcnab
  5.    #5  
    The price of Treos in Malaysia is always quoted without plans.

I thought the estimated US$500 price tag in US was without plan as well. Then again, I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm still hoping for a discount for existing Treo 180/270 users for upgrading to the 600.

My Treo 270 is less than 1.5 years old and there should be some reward for loyalty here in Malaysia as well. Hear that Grandtech? Btw, grandtech is Handspring distributor in Asia.

Cheers.
  6.    #6  
    Just saw pictures of Treo 600 taken at Techstop in 1 Utama, a PDA shop in Malaysia. Link: http://www.kvpug.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4318

Looks like we will be getting the silver coloured Treo.

& looks like available 1st or 2nd week of October. Woo Hoo! Just round the corner!

Cheers.
  7.    #7  
    Oh, & I failed to mention that the picture of the chap holding the Treo, if you scroll down that message board, he says that the Treo 600 screen is no better than the Treo 270.

This seems to be in contradiction to all the other comments coming from "mission possible" event etc. Hmmm, will have to see it for myself. That chap at Techstop may have been expecting hi-res or something; it's all about expectations I suppose......
    I've been loving lurking in this forum for weeks now, but as soon as this SE Asia thread started, I had to register!

I'm in Bangkok, and I called up the local the Grandtech rep who told me that Grandtech Thailand won't be importing the Treo 600...I guess that doesn't really surprise me as I haven't seen anyone using one, and Thai people really really love tiny phones -- the smaller, the better.

So, I'll be asking a colleague of mine to pick one up for me in S'pore. Since it doesn't seem as if there are that many online retailers in S'pore (perhaps b/c it's a small place...?), could someone in S'pore please give me recommendations for good, fair priced Handspring dealers?

BTW, I was wondering about that shop in Malaysia -- are they actually selling units already?
    I've been loving lurking in this forum for weeks now, but as soon as this SE Asia thread started, I had to register!

I'm in Bangkok, and I called up the local the Grandtech rep who told me that Grandtech Thailand won't be importing the Treo 600...I guess that doesn't really surprise me as I haven't seen anyone using one, and Thai people really really love tiny phones -- the smaller, the better.

So, I'll be asking a colleague of mine to pick one up for me in S'pore. Since it doesn't seem as if there are that many online retailers in S'pore (perhaps b/c it's a small place...?), could someone in S'pore please give me recommendations for good, fair priced Handspring dealers?

BTW, I was wondering about that shop in Malaysia -- are they actually selling units already?

Thanks!
    -treoTH
    Sorry, newbie mistake...
  11.    #11  
    It would appear that due to acquisition of Handspring by Palm, the Treo 600 is going to be distributed by Palm distributors. As far as I'm aware, units would be available from Palm distributors. The store has firmly mentioned a couple of times already that the Treo 600 would be available 1st or 2nd week of October.

How Palm's acquisition affects Grandtech's distributorship I don't know. But I did call Grandtech Malaysia today and they had no idea about timing of Treo 600 arrival. They just said late this year or early next year, which is rather pathetic. So my guess is distributorship structure for Treo products in Asia has changed somewhat.

May be useful to check with your Palm distributor in Bangkok. Grandtech seems to be a no go.

Cheers.
    cywong:
    Just saw pictures of Treo 600 taken at Techstop in 1 Utama, a PDA shop in Malaysia. Link: http://www.kvpug.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4318

Looks like we will be getting the silver coloured Treo.

& looks like available 1st or 2nd week of October. Woo Hoo! Just round the corner!
    Sweet! I prefer the silver Treo. Will need to do some price comparison between Singapore, KL and Jakarta, but like JDave said USD700 is still OK here.

The good thing about buying locally is service. I got faulty Tungsten T screen and all I had to do was bring it back to the store I bought it from. On the other hand, I bought my Treo 180 in Singapore and when the speaker died it stays dead because it's such a pain to get it replaced.
    Cheers for your thoughs on Palm and Handspring distribution in Asia... I'll check with Palm distributors in Bangkok for price comparison with S'pore shops, though I'm not looking forward to seeing how much Thai taxes inflate the price...

Duties in Malaysia, Indonesia and S'pore for electronic goodies and mobiles are relatively light, aren't they?

-treoTH
    I called up GrandTech in Singapore and was told that it would come in December. Timing is estimated, but arrival is certain. So i don't know if the Palm acquisition has actually affected Grandtech yet.
  15.    #15  
    Handspring distributor, Grandtech, told me that they will be getting the Treo600 late this year/early next year.

My Treo retailer is getting the Treo600 from Palm distributor 1st/2nd week of October.

Looks like Grandtech is way down the priority list.
  16. Nel
    CYWong, who is your Treo distributor? I would like to get my Treo 600 in the first 2 weeks of Oct. TQ
  17.    #17  
    Ok here's the update for Malaysia.

Distributor of Treo 600 will be launching it this Wednesday (22 Oct) in KL. Confirmed by 2 different retailers.

One of the retailers said they will start selling the units on Thursday. The other said they weren't sure when they will have stock to sell, but latest next week.

Anyway, I'm confident I will be able to get my hands on one on Thursday. Yippie.

& price? Well, it's going to be RM2,799 or thereabouts (approx USD700). Expensive! But I'll get one anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to sell of my Treo270 for a decent price.

For those not familiar with this part of the world, the unit will be an unlocked GSM model. Price is without plan.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the update, cywong... With news of this release date, I guess we don't have to nervously watch the whole Handspring GSM carrier release date debate in the USA, right?

Quick question though for everyone here in SE Asia. Right now, I could either (a) wait for the GSM T600 to be shipping from HS website, or Dreampages computer store, OR, (b) have a friend buy it for me in S'pore or HK. I reckoned, for me, seems like the SE Asian price -- over USD700 is expensive enough to wait a few weeks for it to start shipping in the USA...

The question is....(as I'm a HS newbie, and haven't been using a PDA since my old Palm III, I haven't got a clue what Handspring's warranties are like), if I buy the T600 in the USA, can I have it serviced here in SE Asia, if need be? Or will I be stuck with having to ship it back to the States? In otherwords, are the Treos' warranties worldwide, or region-specific?

Many thanks in advance for your wise words...
    -treoTH
    Hey guys,

Well I just ordered a treo here in jakarta from a place at ratu plaza. Hes charging me around US$800 but i m still taking it cuz i cant wait any longer. Will probably get it by thursday. will let u kow after messing around with it if its all that worthit!
    I am going to run over and see if I can figure out who you ordered from and get me a couple. I was going to wait and get an upgrade from the USA, but who know how long that is going to take.

I'll check first and see the price before I make a final decision. Paying double might not be worth it if it is only waiting one or two weeks, but probably is worth it instead of waiting one or two months. There is also the repair and warantee issues...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast