1.    #1  
    Hey everyone - long time lurker, first time poster. Let me start off by saying this is a great site, and like many of you, I find myself checking it a few times a day to read the latest updates on the Treo 600.

So - now that I'm sold on the Treo 600, and I want to get one ASAP after the official launch (If not Day 1, then maybe Day 2 - that way I can read all the positive comments by people who got one on Day 1 !!) - what's the best way to do it? Order from the Handspring Website? Go to a busy downtown Sprint store? Get a pre-order in somewhere?

I was wondering what all of you are planning to do to ensure that you don't have to live without a Treo 600 for one moment longer than necessary.
    My plan is to mount a ninja-style raid on the first Orange outlet in Nottingham that has them in stock.

Seriously, though, I am monitoring the Orange UK website almost on an hourly basis, and as soon as they publish a price in the place of "coming soon to pm" I'll be on the phone to the stores about the possibility of reserving one. I can get to the nearest store in about 15 minutes from the office (door to door), so I'm hoping to get one on the first day - I expect demand for the 600 to be lower here in the UK as we are generally more mobile phone rather than pda oriented, and there are some nice looking mobiles coming out at the moment.

I am also watching these discussion boards for advance warning on availability.
    ...have already been camping out outside of HandSpring's offices in Mountain View, in a make shift "Tent City". It has been really fun, aside from being across the street from the railroad tracks.

Some have taken to selling grilled cheese sandwiches and tie-dye tee shirts, using the colors of the orignial Visors, commemorating the event. I met this girl last week that said that she has been following Jeff Hawkins from event to event for the last two months.

All of us Treoheads have been having a great time, and have a pretty tight-knit community. We all just sit around, chatting with each other using Verichat, and discussing the best way to prevent our flip earpiece from cracking.

Of course, there have been some "buzz-kills" around here, saying that the Treo should only be priced at $200, and has been trying to stage a sit in, but we just tell him, "peace dude, we all need a miracle".

Yesterday was great, a couple came dressed as Donna Dubinski and Ed Colligan. It was great and we had a great time.

When the 7th rolls around here, we can all share the experience.
    It's beginning to sound like a Star Wars premere around here.

Will Conan send Triumph to insult us?
    Originally posted by kmwmtd
    My plan is to mount a ninja-style raid on the first Orange outlet in Nottingham that has them in stock.

Seriously, though, I am monitoring the Orange UK website almost on an hourly basis, and as soon as they publish a price in the place of "coming soon to pm" I'll be on the phone to the stores about the possibility of reserving one. I can get to the nearest store in about 15 minutes from the office (door to door), so I'm hoping to get one on the first day - I expect demand for the 600 to be lower here in the UK as we are generally more mobile phone rather than pda oriented, and there are some nice looking mobiles coming out at the moment.

I am also watching these discussion boards for advance warning on availability.
    kmwmtd:

I was wondering if you could do me a favor:

I contacted Orange via email and asked them if they would sell me an unlocked GSM phone and they said "No we do not retail unlocked handsets."

When you go to the Orange store can you ask them if there is any way they will sell an unlocked phone?

Thank you,
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE

kmwmtd:

I was wondering if you could do me a favor:

I contacted Orange via email and asked them if they would sell me an unlocked GSM phone and they said "No we do not retail unlocked handsets."

When you go to the Orange store can you ask them if there is any way they will sell an unlocked phone?

Thank you,
    Jake
    If you have a look at the second post on this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t36333/s.html

there is some information about unlocked phones. It sounds from this as though they don't sell unlocked phones, but the phones can be unlocked by Orange when they have had their pound of flesh, and possibly by 3rd party companies when the unlock codes are available.

However, if I survive the waiting process, and remember, I'll ask about it when I go in.
    hehe im set i dont live in a huge town of business and treo junkies...yep not a lot of people in corporate new hampshire lmao...im glad im going to be here long enough to grab one....supposed to be good foliage but all i see are bare trrees...planning on going to mt washington....will take some test pics and post them asap!
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    ...i won't have to wait very long... I work for sprint and have called every store in our district asking them to hold 1 for me. Then I'll just pick from the ones that actually remembered my request...