1.    #1  
    I am currently on T-Mobile GSM in the states. It is my understanding that the US GSM version of the Treo will be silver in color. I am looking for some insight from those across the pond and others who have unlocked a Treo before, say a 270.

I am willing to pay to have some one in the UK ship me an Orange branded T600 when it is released. I just have to have that gun metal black color . PM me if you are up to the task.

About the unlocking...... I am very familiar with cellular phones and firmware. But I am a newbie to Palm OS. So, i will try and be as clear as possible.

1.Where in the phone does the firmware reside? Is the ROM the total image of the OS, Gui and Apps?
    2.Could I flash the Orange version with an American ROM and get rid of any customization (ie orange logos, british english etc)?
    3. What mechanism does the phone use to subsidy lock? In other words where does the barrier reside, in the firmware, or is it hardcoded?
    4.Does any one have any experience unlocking the 270? How about flashing?
    5. Do we even know if the Orange version will come locked?
    6.Does orange offer unlocking to its customers?
    7. Can anyone give me a price on a Orange 600 w/o contract including Tax?
    I am an Orange customer in the UK. I have no idea about whether or not the ROM can be flashed on the Treo 600 (but am definately curious with the announcement of OS 6!!), but can answer a few of your questions regarding the Treo 600 on Orange:

1) Orange phones can all be unlocked. I doubt the Treo 600 will be any different. All Orange phones to my knowledge are locked to the Orange Network when you purchase them.
    2) Orange will unlock the phone themselves but won't do it before they have made money off you (ie. prob unlock a phone for your after one year).
    3) I use a company here in the UK which you can see at the following URL : http://www.logosunlimited.co.uk/index.htm. I am sure they will have an unlock code for the phone not long after its release.
    4) i hear the price of the phone in the UK with Orange contract is £299. No idea how much an unlocked version will cost.
    5) My understanding that Treos are unlock my using some key combination. I have seen it on this board but you will have to search for it.

Hope this info helps you.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by COTB

Hope this info helps you.
    It does. Thank you very much! If any one can shed some more light on this I would appreciate it. Particulary in regard to the technical workings of how the OS relates to the firmware, locking etc.
    This is what somebody said worked on the Treo 270. Perhaps it will be the same...????

1) Get the unlock code from you wireless provider.
    2) On your Treo navigate to the Dial Pad.
    3) Using your stylus enter *#*#(unlock code)#
    4) And now tap on the green Dial button.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the Orange GSM models have some specific software for use on their network such as Orange Backup. With that you may not be able to use some of those features and may find memory and other issues too. So be careful I wouldn't want someone to get a phone they cannot use here. As for the US phones once they hit the street you should be able to buy direct from Sprint, per their direct sales force.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    One thing to keep in mind is that the Orange GSM models have some specific software for use on their network such as Orange Backup. With that you may not be able to use some of those features and may find memory and other issues too. So be careful I wouldn't want someone to get a phone they cannot use here. As for the US phones once they hit the street you should be able to buy direct from Sprint, per their direct sales force.
    Not being able to use orange back up is a no brainer. That is exclusive to those on thier GPRS intranet. In regards to memory issues, I am stll looking for an answer from a technically adept person, who is familiar with palm OS and how the phone protocol is layered in the process. I know some one out there understands the questions I am asking! I would dig into the issue deeper but I have never owned a palm device myself . And buying from Sprint? The day I buy CDMA will be the day I die.
    Last edited by daftgem; 09/25/2003 at 02:37 AM.
  7.    #7  
    I know some one out there is from the UK! Please PM me if you are willing to ship over an Orange T600!

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    Originally posted by daftgem
    I know some one out there is from the UK! Please PM me if you are willing to ship over an Orange T600!
    Daftgem:

I forgot to ask you why you like the darker Treo so much more?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  9.    #9  
    It looks much less like a toy and much more like a tool. Also black makes things look smaller, hides scratches, and draws less attention.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    I am not sure how the phone software is layered on the device, but what I was thinking was that the Orange version has preloaded software and most likely the phone os and pda os are merged into one. So if this is the case (most likely) their GSM version has stuff you don't need or want.

Now in the next 30 days or less you can get a GSM version that is clear of their speicific software and you will be happier. But I know you really like the grey. Best of luck.