Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Time to get a petition together telling Sprint that unless the loyal treo users can buy the 600 for under $400, without new activation, NOW, we will never consider buying it.

Number portability day, November 24, is rapidly approaching and you have a lot of dough invested in your PCS network. If anything, you should be seducing us to stay with your network.

And will all you people please stop calling Sprint telling them how desperate you are to have the 600?

I don't want to hear anymore about this "niche" crap.

To have to wait another 6 months for the price to drop to a reasonable level is unacceptable. There are plenty of other pda/phones available now or will be soon, that have better features and more of a chance of staying on the market. You'd better wake up to the competition.

I've got a service plan with Sprint, and every time my 300 breaks, they can send me a new one, I know they have plenty still left on the shelves. My contract is up in two months. After that, It's hasta la vista, babeee.

Look back on the posts written on how much people are in "love" with this "premium" device, and how ridiculous they look now. NOw for all your enthusi-orgasm, you're getting the royal shaft.

Not married to the treo,
    Dan
    3 words:

Buy something else.

Nobody is making you buy a Treo, so if you think something else is better, buy it, it's a free country.
    Look at handspring.com's Treo 600 announcement. They say clearly that they will give exisying owners a discount. Why is this falling on deaf ears?
    Because no one really believes it will be a significant discount, of course.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by silverado
    Why is this falling on deaf ears?
    These are the points I'm trying to make:

1. HS did not bother to consult with its loyal user base on what they wanted in the next Treo. Give us a decent screen and forget the crappy camera. The camera was for Sprint's sake so that it could make money with their premium photo-sharing service. This is even more reason for Sprint to discount this item.

2. Right now, we're in a major buyer's market for cell services. Some are predicting that with number portability, carriers will be so competitive, that the idea of forcing customers into contracts will disappear. If anything, the body of loyal treo users should have gotten together and started to deal with carriers like Sprint, saying, we'll we're not really sold on the new treo, what kind of group discount could you give to, let's say, all the registered members of TreoCentral, and maybe we could expect EARLY delivery just so that we are motivated to continue to show the love we so freely express.

3. Why did HS screw its customer base by not giving more information about the release of the new Treo or inside information about its features.

4. I don't care what Mossberg says, his review didn't reveal any new information. He's dreaming if he thinks that the average companies is going to shell out the big bucks to hand this out to its employees, when there are cheaper solutions.

5. mission possible = circle jerk

One more lemming goes over the cliff, WATCH OUT BELOW!

Dan
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    It is possible that YOURS isn't the only opinion out there Dan! Perhaps more people wanted a camera than didn't. If your so down on HS and the T600, then go somewhere else and complain!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Because no one really believes it will be a significant discount, of course.
    It will be a $50-$100 discount and I'll gratefully take it. Being a loyal user doesn't get you a damn thing with just about any company out there. The fact that HS still does that is impressive.

If you think the Treo is an expensive device, then move on and get something that works for you and your budget. That is a boycott that needs no announcements or recruitment.
    get a second job and stop crying. most of us are going to buy discount or not.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    [i]To have to wait another 6 months for the price to drop to a reasonable level is unacceptable. There are plenty of other pda/phones available now or will be soon, that have better features and more of a chance of staying on the market. You'd better wake up to the competition.[/B]
    If you feel there are better phones out there (or coming), why not get one of those? I would if I felt that way.

For what is out now, the I500 is selling for 599, the I330 is 499, the G1000 is 649!!!

The I500 & G1000 are more expensive and the I330 is a lesser phone (older OS, etc..) and costs 499.
  10.    #10  
    You're still not getting my point. How many people would go into a car dealership and say, "Oh, I must have the new RoadMangler 2004, and I won't leave without one today."

The whole idea of having a group of people united by a common interest is to be able to leverage the strength in numbers for a better bargaining position. I've never seen anyone so willing to pay LIST PRICE without negotiating!

And for all those calling Sprint or their VP uncle at HS you can point them to this--HERE'S THE DEAL:

1. $400 = Treo 600, for all registered TC members. Very soon, you'll be able to get a wanda device for the same amount.

2. No contract. This is the future, might as welll extend this courtesy to the loyal customers of HS of Sprint.

3. We can give our old Treo's to some charitable cause. (Hopefully, folks who will be careful with that damn flip lid.)

4. All new information and review hardware will be automatically directed to the TC group for evaluation and discussion.

5. FIVE Treo 600's will be given to TC to be raffled to the group. They can do whatever they want at the Mission Pissable parties.

5 1/2. Deep discount on the wi-fi sdio card.

6. NO more talk about love (save it for your significant other, and hopefully that's a person), it makes it look like we all drank the purple kool-aid, and NO more talk about the freakin future of some spaced-out bullet pda.

Remember that people who had problems with their treos got the most reliable service from TC, not from Sprint and certainly not from HS. Time for payback.

Dan
    Dan, it seems a common thread in your issue is that Handspring should have consulted its loyal user base in designing the 600, that they should have come to US to have US tell them what they should have put into the unit.
    While I'm sure they appreciate our collective passion for the device, the hard reality is that we're such a small percentage of the market they WANT to reach with the device. In other words, their decision was - do we listen to the hard-core enthusiasts, and give those folks what they want, or de we try to expand the market, and put in the features that will appeal to the LARGER overall market?
    If you're running the business and making decisions at HAND, in an economy that punishes mistakes, you have to go with the larger market (of course, some will say that they won't ever get the larger market, and they should stick with what people like us want). Bottom line - calculating reasoning, not emotional passion for the device, is what they have to do.
    We'll see if their strategy works.
    Really Dan? Seriously? These are "valid" reasons to boycott a product? What reality have you been living in? I have owned a GMC pickup truck of some kind or another for nearly thirty years. Since I was sixeen. Not once has GMC ever offered me a discount because of that (although I do have a pretty good relationship with my dealer and he hooks me up). Nor have they ever asked what features I personally want in a truck. My God! What a fool I've been! I should immediately boycott and never purchase a truck I love again! The bottom line is that Handspring will give us a price break. Granted it's not what you want, but it's very nice of them. If you want a deeper discount then have a good friend who's also the indirect account manager for Sprint PCS in your area. Then have him introduce you to the Handspring vendor rep. THEN maybe you can get one for...nevermind, it's not important. The important thing is that you realize how self-centered your post made you look. Have a nice week.
    Dan:
    I am sick and tired of people protesting this and boycotting that. If YOU dont want to pay the $500+ for this device, don't buy it. I will be first in line to buy the Treo600 and I am quite sure I will not be the only one. But to be sure, I dont care if I am the only one. This is the device I want.
    It is quite obvious that you dont understand how capitalism works. Handspring has lost a lot of money, so do you think pricing the Treo600 below cost is gonna help them on the road to profitability?
    Perhaps you should sign up for a little overtime flipping burgers in order to save up enough dough for the 600. Otherwise I suggest you wait until Walmart is carrying it.
    Good luck with your one man boycott. I am sure executives at Sprint and Handspring will lose a good night's sleep.
    Carl
  14.    #14  
    Ross, they're going to wind up dropping the price anyway. The current market condition (and just wait in another month) is such that they're better off clipping the price in the beginning, develop the following they never achieved with the Treo 300.

C'mon with wi-fi being all the rage, it looks like 3G cell data won't hit the US for a long time. (Sprint PCS Vision is NOT 3G even though that's what they claim.) Once Nov. 24th comes along, the cell providers are going hard pressed to find people to pay extra for data services. People want wi-fi.

Palm is doing well, take a loss on the treos for now just to gain market share.

If I don't get a deal consistent with the market value, I won't buy. A brand really suffers if it doesn't have a large user base.

NO NICHES,
    Dan
    Dan,

Your post got me so worked up I just had to register for this forum.

I agree with an earlier reply:

Buy something else! Nobody's making you buy the Treo 600.

Why on earth should you get (or expect) a discount just because you fancy a new mobile phone. Bizarre!

Lazybird.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    This is the device I want.
    You wouldn't even ask for a reacharound?

DH
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dan_herzlich
    [B]You're still not getting my point. How many people would go into a car dealership and say, "Oh, I must have the new RoadMangler 2004, and I won't leave without one today."
    Actually People do that.

1. $400 = Treo 600, for all registered TC members. Very soon, you'll be able to get a wanda device for the same amount.
    First, what cel manufacturer is putting out a phone with Wanda in it? And when? Where's the price listed, too.

Second, if the Treo is $499 and we get $50-100 off for the upgrade from another Treo, then that's pretty close (if not exactly) the price you mention.

2. No contract. This is the future, might as welll extend this courtesy to the loyal customers of HS of Sprint.
    If you are loyal to using the Treo/Sprint, then why would it matter if there was a contract or not??
    5 1/2. Deep discount on the wi-fi sdio card.
    and thus no profit for the company making them.

6. NO more talk about love (save it for your significant other, and hopefully that's a person), it makes it look like we all drank the purple kool-aid, and NO more talk about the freakin future of some spaced-out bullet pda.
    If you want a forum with such strict rules, create it yourself. That's just TOO controlling for my tastes.

Remember that people who had problems with their treos got the most reliable service from TC, not from Sprint and certainly not from HS. Time for payback.
    they didn't get service from TC. They got PEOPLE using the TC forums to give opinions and aid in the form of messages. Payback? Do you not help people just for the sake of helping them or do you help them in the hopes of getting something monetary back?
    -------------
    You're still not getting my point. How many people would go into a car dealership and say, "Oh, I must have the new RoadMangler 2004, and I won't leave without one today."

The whole idea of having a group of people united by a common interest is to be able to leverage the strength in numbers for a better bargaining position. I've never seen anyone so willing to pay LIST PRICE without negotiating!
    --------------

I actually thought it was the other way around. Don't the cars in highest demand, coupled with buzz--like the New Beetle when it came out, the Mini when it first came out, H2, etc.--usually go for far more than MSRP?
    Originally posted by njchris
    If you feel there are better phones out there (or coming), why not get one of those? I would if I felt that way.

For what is out now, the I500 is selling for 599, the I330 is 499, the G1000 is 649!!!
    And the Nokia 3650 is $0.

That said, I agree with the general sentiment here...If you don't like it or think it's too expensive, don't buy one. I won't be (for a combination of those two reasons). Calling for a boycott is a bit silly. In a sense, people are already going to "boycott" it. How? Because they won't be buying them in large numbers simply because of the prohibitive cost. They won't be consciously trying to "send a message" to Handspring, but the message will be received nonetheless. What I'd like to know is whether Handspring is selling this for $500 because they have to in order to turn a profit, because they really think they'll sell a lot at that price, or because they'd rather keep the market small and have less support issues to deal with.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i agree with pbryon! look at all the people that even go into a car dealer and put down a deposit on a new car before it is even delivered to the public! Granted, we're not talking cars here, but i wonder how many would go into BestBuy or their carrier store TODAY and pre-buy the T600?! (personally i'm waiting for Portability)

" The whole idea of having a group of people united by a common interest is to be able to leverage the strength in numbers for a better bargaining position. I've never seen anyone so willing to pay LIST PRICE without negotiating!"

You haven't been around too long have you? When the Mini first came out, people were paying a minimum $1500 accessory charge just to get one! And why does your remark SMACK of UNION!! (you go Norma Rae) I personally will pay a premium to keep from signing a contract, unless a contract that is to MY liking comes along, and that's doubtful. If you don't want to pay a premium, that's your decision. You can hold out until this discussion turns to the new T1000 and we're all dissin the T600.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast