Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    I would imagine that a "call to boycott" is roughly the same as a "call to petition" just sorta Yin and Yang, right?

Let's all go tell the Verizon and TMobile petitioners to go elsewhere!
    It's just a matter of audience. It is clear that this board is filled with people who generally like Treo's and Handspring. So advocating something against the general concensus gets rejected. I'm sure the call for a boycott will receive cheers from a generally anti-Palm or anti-Treo forum.

Why do you expect popular impartiality from a normal interest group populated by humans?

That said, I think the comparison of these two cases is a flawed one. One asked people to support something, if they'd like. The other is trying asking people to boycott something and telling them they're stupid if they don't.
  2.    #42  
    Originally posted by dstrauss

Some day true 3G (or better) will surface, and we'll all flock to that next.
    Where will the money coming from? This requires more cell towers. More subscribers = more demand. You should read the articles that are coming out talking about the delay of 3G due to economic forces. Maybe Sprint can charge a premium for the Treo 600 but it can't, and must discount its data services, at least what I pay. Why have the pc card if you have a treo? Oh, that's right because we all like to buy things.
    The price of the Treo 600, like almost ALL technology products, will go down as time goes by. That's a given. Even if the price goes down in a month, SO WHAT?!? The extra money you are spending is for the right to have and use it NOW vs. sometime later!

Even if there is no discount, BIG DEAL!! Sure it'd be nice, but no use crying over it! For such a vital everyday tool as the Treo, I don't mind paying a premium. If you wait 6 months and the Treo 600 drops $100, that's still only $0.56 a day to use it now! Take a minute to think about how much you spend on everyday things you DON'T really need...

Enjoy your One Man March!

Personally, I LOVE my RoadMangler 2001 Special Edition, but I only wish it had a bigger windshield.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    While it is true that this is generally a Treo and Handspring friendly site, I think people here are intelligent enough to call a spade a spade. When the updater did not work, people here (rightfully) critisized HS. HS was not taking care of customer that had already spent their money on a product. But to whine about the price of a new model is not the same. Dont spend the money, dont hang out at forums about the phone if you think it is too expensive. I waited for the i500 for a while. I critisized Samsung and how they did a terrible job (my opinion) with info regarding the release. Finally I said, ENOUGH. Samsung is not getting my money and moved on and found the Treo600. I voted with my wallet. Does Samsung care?, probably not. I did not post to the i500 boards that everyone else should boycott the i500 because I thought Samsung was a terrible company to business with. I just walked away. If/when enough people do this, it is reflected in the market.

Also, while I am a customer of Sprint, despite loving their service, I hate their support and customer service. But as I look at the other major players coverage maps, the place I visit often are coveraged very well by Sprint and the data coverage is excellent. I have choices, no one makes me pay Sprint every month.
    Carl
    I am boycotting Sprint. I think that $600 is too high for a device that allows me to keep organized, remember my children's names, keep track of my yearly expenses, play Tetris, carry all my maps, carry 7+ hours of my favorite music and several ebooks, track my mileage, remind me of appointments and birthdays, beam my business card, carry my rolodex and make phone calls while driving between appointments.

Ok, I jest. I think the price is fair. It would cost a little less to go with seperate devices, but once you have had a converged device it is very hard to go back.

I am still carrying my Kyocera 6035 (for which there will be no trade up) and I am not complaining about the price. I am anxious to upgrade and Sprint and Handspring deserve the praise for doing things right.

(start humming America the Beautiful about now)

Sprint has finally done something right with both Treo lines, I think flooding them with customers who are anxious to purchase the device may just convince them and other carriers that we know what we want and it isn't the G1000 or i330.

Honestly, if the i500 had an expansion slot I would be all over it. But it doesn't so I am ready to give my $600 to the first company who can do it all. And that is what has happend.

Along with boycotting and putting strongholds on companies for screwing up, sometimes it is good to reward companies with your business for doing something right.

Those of us who own businesses and living the American dream understand the wonderful free market we live in.
    Originally posted by dan_herzlich

Why have the pc card if you have a treo? Oh, that's right because we all like to buy things.
    It has nothing to do with liking to buy things. Laptops and data cards and smartphones are not toys or gadgets for me, they are tools, and without these tools I can not do my job. This is not my hobby, it is my business.
    2 reasons to have a data card.
    1. Because it is against Sprint's rules to use the Treo as a modem for a laptop, and they are cracking down. I have no trouble paying for the data service, some months I am a very heavy Vison user, using my PCS data card 10-12 hours a day, every day.
    2. I also need to be able to talk on the phone while using data services.
    Carl
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    I am boycotting Sprint. I think that $600 is too high for a device that allows me to keep organized, remember my children's names, keep track of my yearly expenses, play Tetris, carry all my maps, carry 7+ hours of my favorite music and several ebooks, track my mileage, remind me of appointments and birthdays, beam my business card, carry my rolodex and make phone calls while driving between appointments.

Ok, I jest. I think the price is fair. It would cost a little less to go with seperate devices, but once you have had a converged device it is very hard to go back.

I am still carrying my Kyocera 6035 (for which there will be no trade up) and I am not complaining about the price. I am anxious to upgrade and Sprint and Handspring deserve the praise for doing things right.

(start humming America the Beautiful about now)

Sprint has finally done something right with both Treo lines, I think flooding them with customers who are anxious to purchase the device may just convince them and other carriers that we know what we want and it isn't the G1000 or i330.

Honestly, if the i500 had an expansion slot I would be all over it. But it doesn't so I am ready to give my $600 to the first company who can do it all. And that is what has happend.

Along with boycotting and putting strongholds on companies for screwing up, sometimes it is good to reward companies with your business for doing something right.

Those of us who own businesses and living the American dream understand the wonderful free market we live in.
    Carl
    If anyone should ever do business with me, you'll wind up crying in your beer. You will be absolutely miserable. Sheep need to be shorn.

Dan
    I don't know what business you are in, but I hope your customers/clients grind you the same way in which you are trying to do to HS.

Those that are interested enough to read here and post are going to buy the 600 anyway. HS doesn't have to go after this market. We're already customers.

I'll echo the comments of the many others here who rightly suggested that you exercise your freedom not to buy this particular device if it does not meet your needs. But your desire to form a mob for your own selfish interests is an even better example of the sheep mentality than those of us who will buy a 600 at any cost. You are a hypocrite.

I don't have to wait to do business with you to be absolutely miserable with you. Reading your insipid posts has already done that.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Hi, my name is Dan and I am a Treoaholic. I know I might come off as being a bit testy here and demanding this and that. What I am really upset about is Handspring nor Sprint called me personally to ask for my opinion. I had so many good ideas too. Why couldn't they just call. I mean I pade a lot of money on my own free will for my current Treo and now they have the balls to come out with something new and expect me to pay for it? I mean they should just give me one for being a loyal customer. And just look at all those car dealers out there. Every year they come out with a new product, but do they call me and ask me what I think, NO! How dare they. Well the rest of you can go out there and pay whatever for the Treo 600, but until they come to my door and pucker thier lips up and kiss my *** and apoligize for forgeting to ask me what I thought, I will not be buying the new Treo. My name is Dan, and I am a Treoaholic living in my own little world.

hahahaha
    A few things from recent posts, both of whcih are probably off topic:

--------------
    I think that $600 is too high for a device....
    --------------
    I'd suggest that even at this late date nobody know what the true price will be. Many of the early prices already in purchasing systems or on pre-order websites are from places trying to make a buck on people eager to jump the gun. If you restrict your buying to HS or one of the service providers, you're more likely to see a lower price. Note that I won't say a "reasonable" price, since "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder.

---------------
    While it is true that this is generally a Treo and Handspring friendly site...
    ---------------
    I thik the tone of this site comes and goes with the news. Very positive during times of new product launch, and a good amount of complaints between product launches. This site will swing the other way to complaints within a week or so after the 600 is actually in some of our hands, with the inevitable first-batch glitches.

This is the best statement in this thread! I wish I had said it. Thanks pcsnpixels!
    Carl
    Originally posted by hall316
    Hi, my name is Dan and I am a Treoaholic. I know I might come off as being a bit testy here and demanding this and that. What I am really upset about is Handspring nor Sprint called me personally to ask for my opinion. I had so many good ideas too. Why couldn't they just call. I mean I pade a lot of money on my own free will for my current Treo ........
    Could this really be Jake E?
    Carl

If anyone should ever do business with me, you'll wind up crying in your beer. You will be absolutely miserable. Sheep need to be shorn.

Dan
    One question: If Dan is such a great businessman, why is he so poor as to stress about paying the full price for the Treo? I suspect the "sheep" can rest easy.
  14.    #54  

I'm a Keynsian myself.

Tell me, how much more does Microsoft need to be "rewarded."

I have to admit I'm a very demanding person, and most would prefer to run away when they see me walking down the street. But, that's how progress is made. I think the Treo 300 is a design miracle and it's at a great price now, but unfortunately for HS and Sprint I'm part of their family now. And, when it comes to dealing...

I love treo, treo loves me
    We're one happy family - Big Purple Dinosaur

Dan
    Originally posted by Jettero

I suspect the "sheep" can rest easy.
    Not if Dan is in Australia. If he is, those sheep should watch their backsides.

:->
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    I waited for the i500 for a while. I critisized Samsung and how they did a terrible job (my opinion) with info regarding the release. Finally I said, ENOUGH. Samsung is not getting my money and moved on and found the Treo600. I voted with my wallet. Does Samsung care?, probably not.
    I'm afraid you lost me here. The i500 is currently available, the Treo 600 is not.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts

I have to admit I'm a very demanding person, and most would prefer to run away when they see me walking down the street. But, that's how progress is made.
    That's what I've always learned.. when people run from me, that's when progess is made.

Originally posted by Scott R
    I'm afraid you lost me here. The i500 is currently available, the Treo 600 is not.

Scott
    Maybe he's refering to the Samsung SGH-I500, GSM version of Samsung's POS cell?
    Originally posted by Scott R

Scott
    Sorry I was not clear. I was waiting for the Samsung i500 release. I am now waiting for the Treo600 release. I was not happy with the way samsung handled the release. So I decided to find another company and phone and found the pending release of the 600. In the mean time, I dumped my Samsung i300 for a Treo300 and am now waiting (like the rest of you) for the 600 to be released.
    Carl
  20.    #60  
    Very nice, $500 "through the carriers", available Oct 7 - 10. Thanks weebit. Lousy screeen, baaad camera, and extra $130 for wi-fi card when it comes out. No VPN support.

Dig the TI's wanda: GSM/GPRS, wi-fi, bt simultaneous phone calls, web browsing, mobile commerce and intergrated DSP-accelerated multimedia apps. You'll never see that in the treo line.

I'm going to call up the media relations woman, and get a ticket to go to Missionary Position tomorrow, at least for the free food. I know, I'll grab a 600, head for the door saying, "I want to see what it looks like in the sun," and then run like mad. Put it up on Ebay, and sell it for $650 to some 'first-adopter.' Free shipping for TC folks. (Nah, forget it.)

Carl, I can see you know working in your car, laptop and treo going, whitecastle boxes all over the place, talking about your great 3G service, everything smeared with grease and crumbs.

You're going to see Visto, Good and Seven all charging "premium" rates for their services. Good going Sprint, knocking our Verizon. This is like what apple did for the pc (3% of the market share with their beautifully-designed products.)

Dan H - Treo King
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast