Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...other than one less device on the toolbelt.

Have been drooling over the Treo 600 but was dismayed to learn that you can't use PDA functions while on a call. Argh!

I can't imagine not being able to lookup a contact, check meeting notes, etc while talking to someone.

I'm a newbie to the smartphone concept so if someone can fill me in on the big attraction, please do. The "cool factor" of the Treo 600 is soooooo tempting--but I've been disappointed by "cool" before (evidenced by my two PPCs gathering dust.)

TIA
    you can talk on the phonwe and use the pda at the same time

ps sell the ppc
    yea i think u can ive been doin it with my 300...but i think thats a defect lmao...other than that on the 600 i think u should.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by DougInNoVA

I can't imagine not being able to lookup a contact, check meeting notes, etc while talking to someone.
    This has been around since my VisorPhone! YES you can do these things, and many more!!!
  5.    #5  
    Well, this is good news!

Maybe what I read was that you can't get new email, browse the web, etc. at the same time that you are on a phone call. I could have mistakenly assumed that meant that it was single-tasking.
    Well, this is good news!

Maybe what I read was that you can't get new email, browse the web, etc. at the same time that you are on a phone call. I could have mistakenly assumed that meant that it was single-tasking.
    That's right, you can't get on the net while talking on the phone. But that's the only thing you can not do.
  7. purpleX
    You also cannot record phone conversation, send Fax, watch .divx, open .rar/.zip file, touch up photo taken with the camera, Voice dial, do GPS, use BT headset, see .wmv, ......
    Originally posted by purpleX
    You also cannot record phone conversation, send Fax, watch .divx, open .rar/.zip file, touch up photo taken with the camera, Voice dial, do GPS, use BT headset, see .wmv, ......
    Or paint a sunset, give birth to a child, scale Rushmore, or lobby congress in person.

Frankly, I'm okay with the trade-offs...
    However, if you go to the following website:

Orange Flash Demo

and select "View Features" then from the "Phone Features" menu, select "Multi-tasking", in there it says:

check your emails while talking on the hands free or make a call while browsing the web

Is this new to the 600, or is Orange confused?
    Originally posted by Appleman

Orange Flash Demo

and select "View Features" then from the "Phone Features" menu, select "Multi-tasking", in there it says:

check your emails while talking on the hands free or make a call while browsing the web

I think whoever wrote this must be confused. The Treo is a class B GSM device, which can not exchange GPRS data while on a voice call.
    Originally posted by Appleman

Orange Flash Demo

I vote for confused
    Originally posted by silverado

I think whoever wrote this must be confused. The Treo is a class B GSM device, which can not exchange GPRS data while on a voice call.
    They're confused. It's technically impossible to use voice and data services at the same time. The best GSM can do is if you're using data, you can be prompted to take a call and disrupt the data session. But you can't do them both at the same time on GSM/GPRS, no matter what phone you have.
    quite a bit of this is solved by using software that's already out and much of the rest will be solved later.

The CDMA version comes with the built in semi-GPS thing that Sprint offers.

Please add something constructive O envious one.

To answer the original poster's questions you can indeed use the PDA while using the phone if you use the speaker phone or a handsfree kit.

You can read already downloaded e-mails while talking on the phone but you can't download new ones while using the phone.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

They're confused. It's technically impossible to use voice and data services at the same time. The best GSM can do is if you're using data, you can be prompted to take a call and disrupt the data session. But you can't do them both at the same time on GSM/GPRS, no matter what phone you have.
    Actually, it could be possible if it is a Class A...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

This is straight from the "Setting up your Treo" manual:

"GPRS class 10, class B; also supports CSD"

This is a GSM document, so I don't know if this applies to the CDMA model.
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

This is straight from the "Setting up your Treo" manual:

"GPRS class 10, class B; also supports CSD"

This is a GSM document, so I don't know if this applies to the CDMA model.
    Thanks, but I already knew that. I wasn't referring to the Treo600. My post was in response to letsgoflyers81 regarding what "The best GSM can do..."

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    ...other than one less device on the toolbelt.

I'm a newbie to the smartphone concept so if someone can fill me in on the big attraction, please do. The "cool factor" of the Treo 600 is soooooo tempting--but I've been disappointed by "cool" before (evidenced by my two PPCs gathering dust.)

I always have my phone on me. My PDA is in my gear bag, which is almost always around, but not always, and yea, sometimes I could use it.

I've been thru a couple of palms, and at times, havent used it for a while, etc. I'm finally back to using it everyday, and when one does that, you need it around all the time. This is the reason I want an all-n-one. I really dont care THAT much about all the other features, I need a smartphone, and if i'm gonna get one, might as well have the best tradeoffs.

Did I just say NEED? I need my head examined.

Thanks, but I already knew that. I wasn't referring to the Treo600. My post was in response to letsgoflyers81 regarding what "The best GSM can do..."
    Sorry, gfunkmagic. I misread your posting as a question rather than a general statement on GPRS abilities.

Are there class A devices available in the US that are supported by American GSM carriers? I've never heard of a single device that allows it so I assumed it was an impossibility of the network as with CDMA. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

Sorry, gfunkmagic. I misread your posting as a question rather than a general statement on GPRS abilities.
    No problem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast