Specially with smartphones, waiting can become a painful process. By the time the Treo 6xx is ready to go, who's to say that Kyocera won't trump it with their hypothetical 8245?
    Unless there's something specific I'm looking for in the next distant revision, I'll take the best Palm OS smartphone on the market today (err, or on October xx), and possibly for the next few months.
    Does the Treo 600 have flash ROM so it can be upgraded to OS 6 when it becomes available?
  3. 7ss
    Keep in mind that with all the carrier testing pda phones will always lag behind pda only lines. Since we're still hoping the Treo will be the first OS 5 phone I'd say you're at least a year from an OS 6 Treo. Way too long to wait for a device that may not ever exist.
    PalmSource is only releasing OS 6 to developers in December. It is massive job to then customize it for telephony use. It could be at least a year before you see a phone based on it. Handspring is doing very well to release a Palm OS 5 phone so soon. I presume it is because their engineers wrote the core OS to begin with and have the best understanding of it.
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    PalmSource is only releasing OS 6 to developers in December. It is massive job to then customize it for telephony use. It could be at least a year before you see a phone based on it. Handspring is doing very well to release a Palm OS 5 phone so soon. I presume it is because their engineers wrote the core OS to begin with and have the best understanding of it.
    Actually it's being reported that PalmSource will be releasing a special telephony optimized version of OS 5 sometime next year even after the release of OS 6 at the end of this year. Thus, there is a strong possiblity that the Treo600 will not be optimized for OS 6:

The Sunnyvale, California-based mobile operating systems vendor will target a special telephony version of OS 5 at the low-end "feature phones" while its new OS 6, which is due to be shipped to licensees on December 29, will be aimed at the high end of the converged device market.

<snip>

"Smart phones today are less than 1% of the market, we should look at the bigger market," said Nagel. "OS 5 is so small and compact we think we can get down to a lower price point and higher volume. We think these devices will over time come down to under $200."

PalmSource has not committed to a time frame for the telephony version of OS 5 but it should arrive some time next year. In the meantime, PalmSource will continue to ready its replacement for market and has given more details as to new features to expect in OS 6. Significantly, these include a concerted effort by PalmSource to prevent the kind of fragmentation experienced by other mobile device platforms
    Thus, I wager the next OS upgrade for the Treo600 will be Palm OS 5 *telephony edition* and not OS6...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/24/2003 at 04:35 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm having enough trouble waiting 2 weeks for Orange to start selling PalmOS 5.2 600's. If I tried to wait until the middle of next year for PalmOS 6 versions, my head would explode!
    I have done what you guys are suggesting in the past - initially I was waiting for the 'super smartphone' the SE P800 then I heard about the 'new super smartphone' the SGH i500 (which has failed to make an appearance in the 3rd quarter as anticipated)

Some of my friends have changed their phones twice while i have been waiting for my perfect phone!

I refuse to wait again!
    I'm getting the Treo 600 on launch day!

You can change your phone next year to an Palm OS 6 smartphone and have a year of pleasure with the Treo 600!
    Waiting is a mugs game!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Depends on the price for me. I'm happy with my 300. If it's cheap enough, may spring for 600. Announcement of date for 6.0 has definitely made me rethink 600, especially at full price (assuming that is $500).
    It's the cat and the mouse game: Hardwares become "old" once new Operating Systems arrive. So the choices are simple: Wait for new hardwares to catch up with the latest OS, or just go for it and enjoy the hardwares that exist today.
    (BTW, Samuel Beckett, in 1953, wrote a fantastic short play called: Waiting for Godot, in which "nothing happens". It reminds me of technology today: The act of Waiting! Waiting for the new thing. Waiting for the latest thing. And waiting. And waiting… Read the play... )
    Last edited by m00se; 09/26/2003 at 12:14 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I would hope that the Treo 600 will have the ability to upgrade the OS as Handspring releases them. I am sure that it would be much slower than a PDA since each carrier would probably have to retest a new OS and certify it for support purposes. I would say that it would be a year or more before you see any OS upgrades for the Treo, unless their is a huge bug found that has to be fixed.

Remember that Kyocera and Samsung just released Palm OS 4 phones a few months ago and OS 5 has been available.
    I'm certain that those of us purchasing the T600 in 2 weeks will still be in good shape a year from now. Plus I've had my smartphone for over 2 years now so an upgrade is long overdue.
    go.digital
    I wanted to wait until OS6 came out since it was supposed to have much improved PIM and native ARM support. You are right though it will be 12 months or more before an OS6 SmartPhone or OS X.X Phone Edition (not bad) comes out. They should really focus on integrating the phone portion better into it and get the phone mfgs. to participate more.

On the other hand Hand Spring will no longer exist in a couple of months and PalmOne will most likely NOT upgrade the Treo 600 since they want yout to buy the Treo 6XX when it comes out with BT and HiRes or whatever.
    Well, I just saw this (sorry if this is old news) on pdacool:

http://www.pdacool.com/article.php3?id_article=365

According to the pdacool review, the Treo 600 has 8 MB of FLASH ROM which btw is the same amount found in the Tungsten T2! If I had to wager, that should be more than enough for an upgrade...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Actually it's being reported that PalmSource will be releasing a special telephony optimized version of OS 5 sometime next year even after the release of OS 6 at the end of this year. Thus, there is a strong possiblity that the Treo600 will not be optimized for OS 6:

Thus, I wager the next OS upgrade for the Treo600 will be Palm OS 5 *telephony edition* and not OS6...
    This is a version that is released to include the changes HS made to the OS5 for the Treo 600. Anything telephony specific in this release does already exist in the current Treo 600 OS5.