Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I was a beta tester of Chatter and loved it. Unfortunately when my Treo 300 had a problem I was forced to go to the Samsung I330. (Long story) I can not wait to get a Treo 600 and I was wondering a few things about Chatter:

1. Is Chatter and its IM server(s) still up and running?

2. Will Chatter work with the Treo 600 as it did with the 300?

3. Will there be any more advancements with Chatter? I see that the support forums have not been used since May or so.

Thanks!
    Keith
    Was chatter ever even releasesd?! I read soo much about it on the forums here but I never recalled it ever being released...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yes, Chatter is still up and running ... I use it everyday. However, I am not sure if Marc is updating it for the Treo 600. I asked him this same question and am awaiting news. I certainly hope so! I would be lost without Chatter. It is a wonderful program. He did tell me that he has gotten some Treo 600 development tools.

I have sent him an email advising him about this posting.
    Would you mind explaining what Chatter is/does? What functionality does it add to your Treo. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Great...thanks for notifying Marc. I am still willing to pay for Chatter since it was such a great program and so useful.

Chatter is a palm program that worked on the Treo 300 that allowed for IMAP email fetching and also was a Instant Messenger Client. The IM Client worked with all the major chatting services - ICQ, AIM, MSN and Yahoo. It was by far the best chatting program for the treo that I ever tried (including VeriChat). It is my understanding that Chatter is still in the beta phase and was not officially released. I truly hope that it will work with the Treo 600 because it was awesome.
    Originally posted by peridoc
    Great...thanks for notifying Marc. I am still willing to pay for Chatter since it was such a great program and so useful.

Chatter is a palm program that worked on the Treo 300 that allowed for IMAP email fetching and also was a Instant Messenger Client. The IM Client worked with all the major chatting services - ICQ, AIM, MSN and Yahoo. It was by far the best chatting program for the treo that I ever tried (including VeriChat). It is my understanding that Chatter is still in the beta phase and was not officially released. I truly hope that it will work with the Treo 600 because it was awesome.
    Sounds great. I truly hope it gets released as well
    Thanks. I have used VeriChat and was very happy with it. Why was chatter much better? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    When tried the trial of VeriChat and it was functional, but a bit clunky. With VeriChat it would send you a SMS when a new message came in and in order to respond to it you have to quit what you were doing and go to the VeriChat program to respond and chat. With Chatter, a new message would be delivered via a pop-up window from the Chatter program (not sms) and that allowed you to have a chat session/reply in that pop-up window instead of quitting what you were doing and going to the main program. That was very useful to me. I found with VeriChat that I would respond to a message from someone, go back to the program I was using before VeriChat, only to find that I had another message to respond to and would have to repeat the process of opening and closing programs. Many people like VeriChat and it was a useful program, but I personally (for my expectations) think that Chatter was the best.
    This is not entirely true. You have the option of doing a quick reply without leaving your current application or going into VeriChat to answer. The latter is good if you want to focus on the chat, the former if you're just casually chatting.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by peridoc
    When tried the trial of VeriChat and it was functional, but a bit clunky. With VeriChat it would send you a SMS when a new message came in and in order to respond to it you have to quit what you were doing and go to the VeriChat program to respond and chat. <snip>
    is there a URL for this...what do you call it...chatter lol thanks!
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Chatter also coallates all im identities for a single user into a single alias. That is, my friend Bob might have MSN, AIM, and Yahoo identities. These are all represented by a single alias in Chatter (on a single screen).

Chatter also includes the buddy's e-mail address so you can send them mail via SMTP (and receive it if you are running IMAP).

Chatter is still puttering along. The server is still up and running and I chat with Marc every now and again. Hopefully he will get more time in the near future to develop Chatter (and we'll get an opportunity to reward Marc for his efforts)