1.    #1  
    I'm currently using a Treo 180 on Cingular - primarily in the States - and want to change carriers as soon as number portability goes into effect in mid-November. I'm also going to move to the Treo 600 - and want to go GSM for international calling capability (for a couple of overseas trips a year - primarily in Europe, the Caribbean and S. Pacific/Aus/NZ).

Verison gets tremendous reviews (Consumer Reports) but seems to be CDMA only.

T-Mobile (I think) does GSM, offers an international calling plan, and (I think) will offer the 600.

But I'm still very confused about my options. My priorities are
    Treo 600,
    Good US coverage,
    Some Intn'l coverage

Can anyone summarize for me what my options are goin to be. please?
    go with sprint...but make sure first that the GSMx SIM card will work on their network.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    go with sprint...but make sure first that the GSMx SIM card will work on their network.
    i think that only works the other way.
    Ben
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    Sprint is CDMA. SIM cards are used on GSM carriers.
    Originally posted by chuckyts
    I'm currently using a Treo 180 on Cingular - primarily in the States - and want to change carriers as soon as number portability goes into effect in mid-November. I'm also going to move to the Treo 600 - and want to go GSM for international calling capability (for a couple of overseas trips a year - primarily in Europe, the Caribbean and S. Pacific/Aus/NZ).

T-Mobile (I think) does GSM, offers an international calling plan, and (I think) will offer the 600.

Treo 600,
    Good US coverage,
    Some Intn'l coverage

1. Sprint is the ONLY US carrier that is definitely carrying Treo 600. That doesn't mean that other carriers won't support it in the future, but those would be further down the line.

2. When it comes to coverage, every carrier has good and bad areas. Verizon (no plans for Treo 600) and Sprint have very good coverage. However in your area, one of the GSM networks might be better. Talk to friends and see how their service is before leaving Cingular.

3. Sprint and Verizon can't be used internationally much. Europe is almost entirely GSM. If you're concerned with using your Treo 600 overseas, you really need to go with a GSM carrier. You could either get an international plan, or just buy a SIM card when you travel and pop it in your Treo 600. You won't be able to do either with with a CDMA model.

So if getting a Treo 600 is your main concern, go with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I disagree.

There will definately be unlocked t600 phones from HS. Further with AT&T carrying Palm T-Ws and T-300s the T-600 will be supported. When is the big question.

BigTex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Originally posted by BigTex
    I disagree.

There will definately be unlocked t600 phones from HS. Further with AT&T carrying Palm T-Ws and T-300s the T-600 will be supported. When is the big question.

BigTex
    What's your source on this? There have been many articles from various sources stating that Handspring/Palm will not sell the Treo 600 directly. That leaves only carriers and retail stores/mail order. You might be able to get an unlocked GSM Treo 600, but it won't be from Handspring. Plus, then you'd have to get AT&T to activate a phone they might not even sell. They might do it, or maybe not.

I never said AT&T or any other carrier won't support the Treo 600. I simply said that other than Sprint, no US carrier has confirmed that they will support and sell it. So if you want a Treo 600 ASAP, Sprint is the way to go, period.
    I was told by a senior Sprint engineer who liases with Handspring on the Treo 300 that purchasing the Treo 600 would be possible on the Handspring site, and that it might be the first place it will be available in the US. Of course that doesn't mean that an unlocked GSM device will be available, but it's not a stretch.
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    I was told by a senior Sprint engineer who liases with Handspring on the Treo 300 that purchasing the Treo 600 would be possible on the Handspring site, and that it might be the first place it will be available in the US. Of course that doesn't mean that an unlocked GSM device will be available, but it's not a stretch.
    I would take that with a grain of salt considering the source. Sprint employees are often un/misinformed. Half the Sprint reps I've talked to about the Treo 600 told me that Sprint wasn't even carrying it. I'm not saying that the guy you talked to is definitely wrong, but in my experience, it's usually the case with Sprint employees.
    letsgoflyers,

This particular source is excellent. He and I worked together troubleshooting the data-busy/soft reset issue some time ago. Everything he has told me in the past has been exactly correct, so though you do not know him, I do. I guess time will tell the story. Hope Philly sports pull out of the pits ;-)
    Originally posted by chuckyts

Treo 600,
    Good US coverage,
    Some Intn'l coverage

hi chuckyts,

I'm in almost the exact same situation as you. I travel internationally and need a GSM phone that I can use worldwide. I have been with Sprint for over 2 years now, but want to switch to GSM Treo 600 after Nov. 24 so I can keep my number and only have to carry one phone, one device. (I am not happy with Sprint - too many dropped calls and poor customer service).

I have also read on this and other forums to find out which carrier would suit my needs the best. So from the main GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Cingular), MY choice would be T-Mobile because of the most advanced GSM network in the USA, best value plans, and great customer service.

Here is an interesting thread with useful info from other members regarding my question about "T-Mobile vs. AT&T" Click HERE.

Disclaimer: At the end of the day, it is all based on your personal preference and needs. But it doesn't hurt to hear opinions and feedback from others.

Good luck! Go go Treo!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle