1.    #1  
    As I've stated before I don't have a vision plan currently (just plain jane PCS service) but will be signing up when the 600 arrives.

I see there is a BC plan and a standard PCS vision plan. It appears that the BC plan allows you to connect to exchange servers that dont run a POP3 server. Other than this they appear to be the same.

Am I missing something fundamental here or am I right on?
    Sean Dotson, PE
    http://www.sdotson.com
    The Vision plan is for general internet access.

The BC Plan is a specific email application and service plan for email. It allows you to either get a functional push of your email from your desktop or your exchange server.
    If you use BC, do you HAVE to use the email application bundled with the Treo or can you use a third party application like IambicMail or InBoxToGo?

L
    Lee Ladisky
    BC is ONLY if you want to use the specific email application from Sprint. If you don't want that one, use a third party and don't get BC at all. Just get vision and use any of the popular POP3 email clients.
    You have to use the BC client to access mail gathered by the BC redirector (or you can use a web page through Blazer). Other than that, you can use whatever programs (including email) you want. For instance, I use BC for my work email (when I don't have by Blackberry) and Snapper for my personal.
  6.    #6  
    OK, makes sense...

If you have the non-BC plan I assume you can still use something like SnapperMail to "pull" email from a POP3 account?

Of course it doesn't appear there is a cost difference (I could be overlooking something). So are there any disadvantages to the BC plan?

Edit:
    (while I was typing this I see you guys answered the question...) thanks
    Sean Dotson, PE
    BC is five bucks a month.

You can always use any email client to get email from any source for no additional charge from Sprint. Think of BC as a service someone sells you, and it just happens to be from sprint. It really doesn't interact with your cell service at all.
  8.    #8  
    OK. Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like I need it as my office email system has a POP3 server available as well as exchange.
    Sean Dotson, PE
    One more thing about BC that makes it a big plus to me, and this works because I do NOT VPN or otherwise connect to my desktop from other places. As the BC client resides on your desktop, and maintains a constant connection through your broadband internet connection, you can use it to access documents on your computer. Oftentimes I'll be at places that I didn't think to bring a file along that I needed, but then all I need is an internet connection to log onto my BC client and pick it up. It's incredibly useful at all sorts of odd times.

Ken
  10.    #10  
    Ken,

Thanks for that bit of info. That could be useful in many situations.
    Sean Dotson, PE
    This may be obvious to you, but FYI your work (host) computer must be on for the BC to work at all.
    Originally posted by Stickman
    This may be obvious to you, but FYI your work (host) computer must be on for the BC to work at all.
    Does anyone ever turn their computer off anymore?
    Originally posted by Treo_Ken

Does anyone ever turn their computer off anymore?
    lol good point.

Does any1 know if VersaMail from the Tungstens will work on the Treo?
    The nice thing about BC is that u can connect to corporate and networked email...which i can't seem to find a third party app for..and when i do it doesnt work! itd be nice to use BC with PCS! I might do that but its a bit expensive for just an email app...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    The nice thing about BC is that u can connect to corporate and networked email...which i can't seem to find a third party app for..and when i do it doesnt work! itd be nice to use BC with PCS! I might do that but its a bit expensive for just an email app...
    yea....like TreoKen said being able to get to any file is pretty valueable (it has been for me several times!). Kinda a small point, but if there's email that you've already read then you can keep track of it. If you use a 3rd party app it downloads the mail onto the device and marks it new b/c u didn't originally read it on the device.

Did that make any sense?
    yes it does...basically if you havent read it on the device running the thir part app itself...its considered new mail...got cha...know of ne 3rd party emails that will allow me to access the smtp server on comcast and actually let me send mail?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.