Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Latest Handspring Newsletter -- Never miss an important email again

    Okay, we admit it. Here at Handspring headquarters, we love email. In fact, one of the only things we love more than email is having it with us wherever we go (well, that and how easy the Treo keyboard makes responding to every message). We check it while walking down the halls, at lunch, waiting in line at the grocery store... But it's not just our compulsive need to keep our fingers on what's going
    on at work. All this emailing is useful too--like the time one of our tech support guys forgot to bring
    an important spreadsheet to a meeting. He stealthily keyed in a quick message to a coworker who dug up the file and emailed it to him before the meeting was out.

    So, when it came time to design the Treo 600, we knew we needed to take the already awesome Treo email experience to the next level. We needed something designed from the OS up--something that could handle attachments plus integrate with your phone and Treo 600's built-in web browser. But mostly, we needed to build a product that was flexible enough to eork with many different kinds of email programs--corporate, personal, POP3...

    And that's what we delivered. So whether or not you NEED to download and read attachments, you CAN. Whether or not you want to have all our latest email forwarded to your Treo automatically, you can. And best of all, if you find a compatible email application that you'd rather use than the cool one included, yep, you can.

    Once we got the OS all updated, we turned our attention to providing a solid email solution right out of the box. For Sprint customers we worked with Sprint to optimize their PCS Business Connection Personal Edition email application to securely connect you with our corporate email. For GSM/GPRS customers, we provided a great POP3 internet email application--one that works with any standard POP3 account, supports multiple addresses, and can even handle SMTP authentication with ease. (And how many of us can say that?) But if you're looking for an application that will let you securely handle your corporate email, don't worry. We've partnered with a variety of great third-party providers including Visto, Seven and Good Technologies. Whether you use ours, one from our partners or your service provider (sold separately) or another one altogether, we've done our best to make sure it'll work.

    Next up: what the well-dressed Treo 600 will be wearing this season.
    Last edited by BustAGroove; 09/22/2003 at 10:12 AM.
    BAG's Treo-Hip-Lography**Treo 600>SideKick #6****Signup for UPOC-Handspring Treo 600
    <a title="Subscribe to BAG's TextAmerica Blog" href="aim:goim?screenname=blogchangebot&message=subscribe+http://www.bustagroov.textamerica.com"><img src="http://www.neuronwave.com/bcb/bcblogo.gif" border="0" vspace="2" hspace="2"/></a>
  2. #2  
    Is it just me, or does this newsletter not really tell us much of anything about e-mail on the Treo 600? After reading it, I still can't tell, for example:

    • What kind of attachments can be read on the Treo 600 (Word, PDF, JPG, TIFF, etc.)?
    • Will e-mail be pushed in real time (ala Blackberry) or pulled as it is now for the existing Treo models?
    • What happens if a phone call comes in while e-mail is being delivered? (Will the call go to voice mail, or will it ring and interrupt the e-mail -- or, better yet, can the user choose what happens)?
    • Are the offerings from Visto, Seven and Good Technologies included with the Treo 600, or is there a separate charge (and if there is a charge, is it a one-time or monthly charge, and how much)?
  3. #3  
    Attachments will at least be Word and Excel (from the Orange announcement).

    POP3 is obviously pull. I think the solutions from Seven and Good Technonologies will be push. I'm sure these additional solutions will not be free, but they could be if offered by your service provider, as the newsletter suggests.

    What happens when a call comes while getting email depends on GSM vs CDMA. For GSM, email retrieval may be suspended and the call allowed through. For CDMA, it won't come through. When calls don't come through, they will go to where you are set up to send calls when your device is unavailable. It could be voice mail, which is most common, but it also could be forwarding to another number, or no answer, depending on your service settings.

    The newsletter is not really meant for us who know so much about the device. If you were a very casual observer, you could be pleased with all the options that will be available.
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by BustAGroove
    So, when it came time to design the Treo 600, we knew we needed to take the already awesome Treo email experience to the next level. We needed something designed from the OS up--something that could handle sttachments plus integrate with your phone and Treo 600's built-in web browser. But mostly, we needed to build a product that was flexible enough to eork with many different kinds of email programs--corporate, personal, POP3...
    Wonder if they typed this on a treo.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Wonder if they typed this on a treo.
    Nope, it was a copy/paste job on my PC.
    BAG's Treo-Hip-Lography**Treo 600>SideKick #6****Signup for UPOC-Handspring Treo 600
    <a title="Subscribe to BAG's TextAmerica Blog" href="aim:goim?screenname=blogchangebot&message=subscribe+http://www.bustagroov.textamerica.com"><img src="http://www.neuronwave.com/bcb/bcblogo.gif" border="0" vspace="2" hspace="2"/></a>
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Wonder if they typed this on a treo.
    There is no typo in the email I received. Must have been a typo introduced in the copy/paste process
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by DougI
    Is it just me, or does this newsletter not really tell us much of anything about e-mail on the Treo 600? After reading it, I still can't tell, for example:

    • What kind of attachments can be read on the Treo 600 (Word, PDF, JPG, TIFF, etc.)?
    • Will e-mail be pushed in real time (ala Blackberry) or pulled as it is now for the existing Treo models?
    • What happens if a phone call comes in while e-mail is being delivered? (Will the call go to voice mail, or will it ring and interrupt the e-mail -- or, better yet, can the user choose what happens)?
    • Are the offerings from Visto, Seven and Good Technologies included with the Treo 600, or is there a separate charge (and if there is a charge, is it a one-time or monthly charge, and how much)?
    1. I don't know lol

    2. what is the difference between push and pull email

    3. This one I can answer...you cannot have a sprint PCS connection and a phone call at the same time...at least this holds true for the 300...but i believe that lies in the service and not the phone...though internal redirection may be a possiblity...I personally doubt that the wireless hardware can handle such a thing.

    4. What offerings?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

    I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  8. #8  
    I'd assume the attachments would be the same as snapper mail with the addition of .jpg .jpeg .bmp would be it.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

    I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  9. #9  
    I agree that the tease in this newsletter has the potential to be very misleading. Sure, we would all love an out-of-the-box email program with attachements, but even Snappermail (which I own and love) does not allow for viewing attachements... read that right, the email program forwards the attachements (very well) but it is another program (not always free) which actually VIEWS the attachements.

    Therefore the question isn't just "can the email program handle attachements", it is more along the lines of "what programs are you including to VIEW such attachements". While there are some good shareware picture viewers, good office (word, excel, powerpoint, etc.) viewers which support native file formats are not cheap and probably are not included.

    Don't get me worng, I am not expecting the Treo600 to include all of these programs (I'd be mad if they did since I've bought all of them on my own!), but they shouldn't tease with: "We needed something designed from the OS up--something that could handle attachments..." unless it is followed by "but unfortunately it is too expensive to do that out of the box so you'll have to buy a few programs to make it happen".
  10. #10  
    two words


    hex editor





    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

    I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  11. #11  
    I think the main thing I got out of this newsletter is that the Sprint version won't be packaged with a POP3 e-mail client. You would have to sign up and pay for the Sprint Business Connection. This doesn't sound very "out of the box" to me.

    I think I'll stick with Snapper.
  12. #12  
    In the CDMA radio version of the emulator, there is indeed a built in POP3 email application. I've used it to check different email accounts and it works great! I was also able to download a picture, select it, and it was sent to the picture viewer and looked better than I thought it would. Can anyone with an actual Sprint unit confirm this?
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by silverado

    What happens when a call comes while getting email depends on GSM vs CDMA. For GSM, email retrieval may be suspended and the call allowed through. For CDMA, it won't come through. When calls don't come through, they will go to where you are set up to send calls when your device is unavailable. It could be voice mail, which is most common, but it also could be forwarding to another number, or no answer, depending on your service settings.

    Originally posted by SprintTreo600

    3. This one I can answer...you cannot have a sprint PCS connection and a phone call at the same time...at least this holds true for the 300...but i believe that lies in the service and not the phone...though internal redirection may be a possiblity...I personally doubt that the wireless hardware can handle such a thing.
    Is this correct, I cannot recieve phone calls while I am on a data connection (I will have CDMA)? I plan to use my phone to surf all the time, does that mean I will not be able to get incoming calls? Is there an option to have incoming calls "override" your data connection so they are not blocked?
  14. #14  
    If you get Sprint you cannot recieve calls while you are actively recieving or sending data (this is not the same as being connected to the internet, you can still recieve calls if your connection is active, simply not if you are sending or recieving data).
  15. #15  
    bad marketing all around, nothing seems well coordinated from uncertain release dates to last minute alliances. just my two cents, just imagine if they had it together. nevertheless i am still in whenever it comes out.
    Ben
  16. #16  
    those allliances mentioned in that e-mail are the same ones that have been touted since June. Good, Seven, Visto - all old news.
    Nothing last minute there.
  17. #17  
    Does anyone know if MAPI email accounts are supported? I get TONS of spam and, thus, subscribe to mailblocks.com to filter it. It would be nice to be able to just pull(or have pushed) my 'good' email folder contents instead of ALL email(spam included).

Posting Permissions