Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Huh? No keyboard or grafity pad? How are you supposed to enter text? T-9?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  2. purpleX
    Shocking isn't it? look 320 by 320 screen and replaceable battery too! oh may, how can that be?
    If Samsung would stop playing games and just tell us when they were actually going to start producing the (*&(*^&&$^$^%#$&%*^&(*&(&)(&*^&^%&^% thing they might not lose as many sales to the Treo600! The device was shown at CeBit too, back in March, but still seems no closer to reality.

FWIW, with the side by side photos of Treo600 and SGH-i500, the latter appears larger when open. To me, the screens look identical in size. Will the resolution make that much difference in that small a screen? FIIK.
  4. 7ss
    The best info currently available says that the SGH-i500 is still several months away at least. Probably 1Q in Europe and late 1Q for the U.S.
    I've heard that at earliest it will be much later than that.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Originally posted by purpleX
    oh may, how can that be?
    Simple. It isn't.

The SGH-i500 is not a shipping product. Until it is actually available, claims about what it can or does do are just marketing hype until the engineering types actually build it.

Yes, they showed a model at Cbit, but how much would that model have cost if they actually went into production with it? How long would the battery have lasted?

I'm not saying you don't have a point about the viability of larger res. screens or replacable battery life, but comparing a released product with a vaporware product isn't valid.
  7. 7ss
    Originally posted by mwylde
    I've heard that at earliest it will be much later than that.

That certainly wouldn't surprise me but they did show a working model at the Palmsource Germany show so I'm hopeful that 4-6 months is at least a possibility. Either way I'm not waiting for it.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    tex is entered via the touch screen and G2.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    If I remember correctly Samsung had working prototypes in May with the original announcement. Samsung has had problems in the past with letting products out of the R&D department and into production.
    For ages I have been debating whether it would be the Treo 600 or the SGH-i500, and even now when the Treo is so close, I was starting to get cold feet about whether I should jump in an get the Treo, or wait for the Samsung. But now that I have the side by side comparison, it is definately the Treo all the way for me. That Sammy is just huge.....man I would like a fool walking down the road with that sucker.

http://www.pdafrance.com/pdarama/album63/dsc00039
    Hmm...it does look kinda bulky now doesn't it?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmm...it does look kinda bulky now doesn't it?
    Longer than T600 when the flip is open obviously.

The two changes made from the original spec:

1. It uses a 324x352 16-bit LCD instead.
    2. It adds a fixed silk area at the bottom of the screen for Home, Menu, etc. buttons.

Samsung redesigned the unit for a new hi-res LCD and that caused a few months delay for release. I thought that was a good decision. From the photo, it might use a virtual Graffiti which pop up when needed as the OS 5.3 supports.
    Originally posted by djwhyte
    For ages I have been debating whether it would be the Treo 600 or the SGH-i500, and even now when the Treo is so close, I was starting to get cold feet about whether I should jump in an get the Treo, or wait for the Samsung. But now that I have the side by side comparison, it is definately the Treo all the way for me. That Sammy is just huge.....man I would like a fool walking down the road with that sucker.

http://www.pdafrance.com/pdarama/album63/dsc00039
    What makes you say that? It may look huge when its open, but its smaller than the Treo when closed. The majority of the people carry their phones in the "closed mode".

Folder type phones have better ergonomics than bar types. The earpiece and mic is right where they should be (the ear and mouth not ear and cheek bone) when open and the unit is usually smaller than bar types when closed.
    so when can we expect it to hit the marketplace? we can't continually cpmpare these devices if one will not be released in the same relative cycle.
    Ben
    Originally posted by djwhyte
    Sammy is just huge.....man I would like a fool walking down the road with that sucker.

I take it you did not own a Treo before.
  16.    #36  
    Anybody got word on the picture quality on the Samsung SGH i500?
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    Anybody got word on the picture quality on the Samsung SGH i500?
    The SGH will also have a 0.3 MP camera but it will also include a flash! I haven't seen any comparable camera pics from the SGH however...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/27/2003 at 11:15 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    The SGH will also have a 0.2 MP camera
    I believe that is 0.3 MP. 640x480 = 307200 pixels = 0.3 mega pixels.
    Originally posted by Ares

There is a rumor going around that it will have 1 Mega pixel camera with flash.
    Originally posted by Ares

Yeah I know...it was a stupid typo, thats all...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast