Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know whether an "integrated" real-time version of AOL Instant Messenger will be available for the 600? (Like on the Danger device.)

    I saw this statement in the PC Mag review of the 600 a while back, so sounds like they could be working on it: "The company is also working with instant-messaging providers such as AOL to add IM capability after launch."

    I realize as an alternative I could use Verichat, WAP-based AIM or the regular Palm AIM application, but none of these offer a true, always on "push" instant messaging experience. (Verichat is close, but it uses text messaging in the background to fake real-time sending and delivery of IMs.)
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by weaverdrew
    Anyone know whether an "integrated" real-time version of AOL Instant Messenger will be available for the 600? (Like on the Danger device.)

    I saw this statement in the PC Mag review of the 600 a while back, so sounds like they could be working on it: "The company is also working with instant-messaging providers such as AOL to add IM capability after launch."

    I realize as an alternative I could use Verichat, WAP-based AIM or the regular Palm AIM application, but none of these offer a true, always on "push" instant messaging experience. (Verichat is close, but it uses text messaging in the background to fake real-time sending and delivery of IMs.)
    My faith in the authenticity of information from PC Mag is pretty low... I did get ICQ to work on my treo though... and there're supposed to be programs that do MSN and Yahoo, AIM, etc... but I haven't tried those out...
  3. #3  
    Wait.... so AIM on Palm OS is not instant?
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by daftgem
    Wait.... so AIM on Palm OS is not instant?
    I use verichat to chat on AIM all the time and it works flawlessly. And yes, its instant...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5. #5  
    Verichat works fine and does not burn all of your SMS units if noy required. I'm using it on international travel. What a good way to stay in touch.
  6. #6  
    Personally I'd like a version of AIM that would allow me to have a mobile device icon, I'm tired of explaining to people that I'm on my phone and why there's no icon!
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

    I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    Personally I'd like a version of AIM that would allow me to have a mobile device icon, I'm tired of explaining to people that I'm on my phone and why there's no icon!
    Ditto! That's why I have a 2nd AIM name, which in itself is annoying, but less so than explaining to people why it's taking me forever to respond.
  8. #8  
    I have used AIM for years on Visorphone, Nokia & Samsung. I haven't had a smartphone, yet, so cannot rate VeriChat, however, there is much to be said for using PHONE in an alternate userid.

    I have done just that, the regular one of mine ends in "NEWS", since I work for a newspaper and the mobile one ends in "PHONE". They know to wait because I am thumb typing. I liked it best when I was able to do graffiti.

    This came in handy when I was on vacation in Europe. My 'roaming' ended up only costing me $43US. But I was IM'ing everyday over 2 weeks.

    ~ Jan in Delaware
  9. randyg's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #9  
    I've been using AOL Instant Messenger on my 180g for some time now! Version 1.1. It seems real-time to me, never noticed a lag in it. Look here: http://aol.com/anywhere/
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  10. #10  
    I use a combo of mobile and verichat. I registerd my AIM Id to forward to my Treo300 if my laptop is not online. The mobile icon appears to users. They know I am mobile. If I need or choose to respond, I fire up Verichat on my Treo and send back a reply or start a chat session. When I am done, I simply tell verichat to log me off the AIM proxy server, and my mobile icon appears again. Works perfectly for me!
    Carl
  11. #11  
    AOL's AIM clients for Palm have always resulted in crashes requiring HARD RESETS for me ... Sometimes it takes a month or two, but eventually it crashes hard. I would recommend Verichat as a good, working alternative.
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by jaytee
    AOL's AIM clients for Palm have always resulted in crashes requiring HARD RESETS for me ... Sometimes it takes a month or two, but eventually it crashes hard. I would recommend Verichat as a good, working alternative.
    I also had the same problem with the AIM client for the palm. I finally figured it out on my Kyo6035 and never used it again on any of my newer smart phones. I have read that the problem is when you start the AIM client and then do not sign off, but rather end your data connection. I have not tried to verify this, and am also happy with the Verichat client. No reason to self inflict any pain.
    Carl

Posting Permissions