1.    #1  
    I have heard that the CDMA version of the 600 has a (Qualcomm/Snaptrack) GPS chip integrated into it.
    This will function once Sprint's (Qualcomm/Snaptrack) location-based services network gets fired up. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $is$ $correct$. $When$ $Sprint$ $launches$ $its$ $location$ $based$ $services$ $is$ $anyone$'$s$ $guess$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    But will software be able to use it? Map sotware? And why are all of the external gPS devices gigantic if a GPS chip can fit in the 600?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Originally posted by mwylde
    But will software be able to use it? Map sotware? And why are all of the external gPS devices gigantic if a GPS chip can fit in the 600?
    To your first question, it all depends on whether the gps fucntionality will be NMEA compliant, which is suspect may not be the case, but who knows... I submitted a whole bunch of queries to Stickman about this and he's going to ask some snaptrack employees about them. As to your second quesiton, snaptrack's AGPS uses tower triangulation as an adjunct for location information. Thus, it is actually a hybrid of both technologies and the handsets use both satellite GPS and tower triangulation. Thus the chips are not solely dependent on large antenna to detect gps signals. However, technology has miniturized as evidenced by the iGolf SD GPS module which will be compatible with the Treo600! This should be a nice workaround IMO...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I just got the Garmin iQue 3600 which is a high resolution Palm 5 with a built-in GPS and the thing is no bigger than a Pocket PC. So, in terms of size, I don't think getting the necessary chips into a Treo would be that difficult. Again, if the iGolf can fit on an SD card, it shouldn't be a problem. The thing I don't understand about the iGolf is: if you put it in the SD slot, where do you put the maps? The Garmin iQue has an SD slot, so I just put the maps on an SD card, but if you are using the SD slot for the iGolf in the Treo (or any other handheld for that matter), you will have to use the internal memory of the Treo for maps. 32 Megs (actually I believe only about 26 Megs will be available to the user in the Treo and that is before you put any personal software in it) isn't much when you are dealing with detailed maps. So how useful could the iGolf be if you can only put a map of a small area into the handheld (and what about the small screen and the low resolution)? I think that until they can integrate the iGolf with 256 Megs of RAM in one SD package, its usefulness is limited.
    Jeff
    Its more of a question of cost/sell and battery life for the T600 than anything else. With chip and circuit technology what it is today and coming in the future you will be able to do more with your phone but it may not be the cheapest.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by jglev
    I just got the Garmin iQue 3600 which is a high resolution Palm 5 with a built-in GPS and the thing is no bigger than a Pocket PC. So, in terms of size, I don't think getting the necessary chips into a Treo would be that difficult. Again, if the iGolf can fit on an SD card, it shouldn't be a problem. The thing I don't understand about the iGolf is: if you put it in the SD slot, where do you put the maps? The Garmin iQue has an SD slot, so I just put the maps on an SD card, but if you are using the SD slot for the iGolf in the Treo (or any other handheld for that matter), you will have to use the internal memory of the Treo for maps. 32 Megs (actually I believe only about 26 Megs will be available to the user in the Treo and that is before you put any personal software in it) isn't much when you are dealing with detailed maps. So how useful could the iGolf be if you can only put a map of a small area into the handheld (and what about the small screen and the low resolution)? I think that until they can integrate the iGolf with 256 Megs of RAM in one SD package, its usefulness is limited.

how much?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600

how much?
    I got it at Amazon.com for around $480 with free shipping.
    Jeff
    Good day,

mapapolis just told me the other day, (see my posting under mapaopolis), that they are fully supporting treo 600. I am therefore assumeing that the igolf unit which fits into the sd slot, also has sd meomory onboard. I do not know for sure but I am going to ask mapopolis.

I am sure that is the case since there are follow up programs that also use the system, such as providing you with information with thisngs to do in the area, gas sataions, etc. take care ,jay