1.    #1  
    This might be the stupidest question...but what is the point of bluetooth?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    This might be the stupidest question...but what is the point of bluetooth?
    to wirelessly connect two (or more) devices.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    so if i had a bluetooth enabled phone i could somehow connect to another PDA via say IR and let it connect to the internet?

4.    #4  
    Could this be an alternative to WirelessModem?

Think of bluetooth as wireless USB. It is designed to eliminate wires between devices. Typical uses are ... connecting a cellphone to a headset with no wires, connect a pda to a cell phone to access internet and connecting a pc to a cell phone to for syncing and internet access.
    so if i had a bluetooth enabled phone i could somehow connect to another PDA via say IR and let it connect to the internet?
    no, you would connect via bluetooth to connect to the internet.

with a bluetooth enabled pda, you can use your bluetooth phone to connect to the internet, print to a bluetooth enabled printer, sync with your pc wirelessly if it had bluetooth. y0u could have a bluetooth enabled headset that connects to your phone and answer call with out touching the phone.
    Felipe
  7.    #7  
    So is bluetooth faster than the Sprint 3G Wireless Web?

bluetooth is a short range connection. it isn't a replacemnt for wi-fi.
    Felipe
  9.    #9  
    thanks for clearin that up. much appeciated

Actually, I still haven't found a purpose for bluetooth, because the one major application of it, connecting PDA to phone is not neccesary... it's on the same &*#$% device!

bluetooth printer... don't have one... bluetooth headset... perhaps... but with its price, it's certainly not on my priority list... bluetooth sync... well, I'm not too lazy to plug in a cable. : ) I have to charge the thing anyway.

Actually, the only use I can think of right now is that bluetooth car kit. The one that automatically switches your phone to a car-wide speaker phone system as soon as you get into the car, without you taking the phone out of your pocket. However, that thing is @#&$*%% expensive!
    BT has a max transfer rate of 720 kbps ver 1xrtt which has a max rate fo 144 kbps. Thus until the advent of true 3G (1xEvDo(v) or UMTS), BT should not be the bottleneck.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    for the specific PALM/phone BT connections?
    Originally posted by mgauss
    for the specific PALM/phone BT connections?
    Checkout PIC and cliesource. The T|T forum at brighthand is also good...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    big draw for me is that someone get a SDIO BT car for the Treo 600. New Acura TL on the way hopefully and guess what? Yep - BT phone ready out of the box (you can order the OEM aftermarket kit for current 3 series Bimmers as well - MY 2003 and 2004 I believe.). However, that's the killer app for me - jump in your car, throw phone on passenger seat, in the console, wherever....punch a button on the steering wheel and you're handsfree - no friggin' cradles or such. OK - might have to plug the travel charger in. I can live with that if I'm really going to be talking alot. But I have to travel locally between 3 hospitals and it's a PITA currently. The convienence factor (not to mention safety) rates very highly with me. Plus - the "grab one thing" out the door factor. Currently, that means phone, keys, wallet, Franklin Covey planner, etc. I'd love to cut that down to (1) phone (2) keys. Ugh - why can't the US get with the rest of the world on BT transactions????
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    convert the 600 to a bluetooth phone.

Help me out with this theory.

If I had a car with bluetooth, wouldn't I be able to purchase the Jabra FreeSpeak for non-bluetooth phones and connect it to the phone, which then allows the phone to communicate with other bluetooth devices?

Again, just trying to figure out why this wouldn't work. The Jabra device also doubles as a charger and holder. So you could just keep this in the car to make it bluetooth?

I am excited about the new Acura TL for just this purpose.
    sl - that same idea had occured to me. I don't know if the Jabra adapter is going to make the T600 "BT" enough for the car or not. Reading all the specs on the new TL, it looks like the car wants to be able to answer, dial, hangup and look up numbers via the interface. I think that the Jabra will do everything but the latter if I'm reading the website correctly. Of course, that would cover most of my needs. The kicker out of all this however, is that you end up spending as much as a good HF car kit would run plus have this charger/cradle thing that you have to plug your phone into as well. That's why I'd love to be native BT on the T600 - but you can't have everything I guess.....