Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. purpleX
    And what restriction would that be? Can't sell no more than 10% of daily volume?

PALM is at $21 right now, they bought it at about $15.5. If they start dumping 60K share per day starting Monday , it will take them about a month and a half, and I don't think they are going to drag down the price the whole $6.

Voila. It doesn't take an einstein to see it's instant profit for Fidelity. Do you think Fidelity is running a charity organisation and give a rats *** about Palm stock price once they see their investment value will not be there anymore? If so my uncle joe can turn water to wine and walk on water too.

Plus I am not aware kyochera and Samsung are planning new model beyond what's currently known. In fact rumor is swirling about Samsung being cool on POS phone.

Sony? They are depended on PALM as LCD customer. Sony is the only maker of that odd ball hi-res and hi-res+ screen. That combined with memory stick are reason enough to make sure PALM is around.
    PurpleX also hasn't read about how Sony has been trying to buy the PalmOS division. I can't remember which president or VP of Sony said that there were interested in purchasing Palm Source if it were for sale. That doesn't sound to me like Sony has any reservations whatsoever about backing PalmOS.

Hardware makers that have deep pockets often come out with products and voluntarily lose money on them to push other sales. Sony didn't start making money on the sale of PS2 sets until a few months ago. And the PS2 has been out how long? The margin on the boxes was so low that it took forever for them to make enough money off of them to offset R&D and initial manufacturing costs. Microsoft is the same way with the Xbox because for both companies the money is in the software and software licenses and not the hardware. Comparing console games to PDAs is not exactly the easiest thing to do except maybe when you look at Dell. Dell and HP are probably losing money or making so little as to make their investment in the low end PDAs not worth their time except that they're trying to gain market penetration.

The MPx and the Treo are aimed at different groups of people. The Treo is aimed at mobile professionals that need 2 way communication. The MPx is aimed at people that need to retrieve information but not interact with that information or send. T9 sucks at data input especially if you work with words or phrases that are not in standard English. Face it--what business doesn't use language that is specific to that niche alone? T9 is only for the occasional or very short text entry. Business users need something more robust.

Face it PurpleX you are wrong about thumb boards. Every PDA and phone manufacturer is playing around with including thumb keyboards for text entry. Its just taking a while for them to come up with ideas and try to integrate them into devices. HP is about to introduce one. There is the Sidekick and that Nokia phone that flips open to a qwerty keyboard, and numerous other examples. Both for business and for the craze that is IM/text messaging. For business users its important to be able to both recieve and send e-mails and business applications. T9 simply isn't functional as a primary input method for moderate to long text entry.

Smartphone also has other problems. You make the point that the Windows Mobile devices come with MS Office support out of the box. I've used enough Windows Mobile/WinCE/PPC devices to know that the Pocket versions of Office are less then fully functional. One of the biggest areas of complaint from PPC users is the less then adequate abilities of Pocket Office. Most independent organizations that review agree that the Office software for the Palm supports MS Office products much better then the Pocket Office versions. There is a healthy segment of the PPC software market in making Pocket Office replacements.

I could go on about how PurpleX's arguements are specious but I tire at this late hour.
  3. purpleX
    >>>The MPx and the Treo are aimed at different groups of people. The Treo is aimed at mobile professionals that need 2 way communication. The MPx is aimed at people that need to retrieve information but not interact with that information or send. T9 sucks at data input especially if you work with words or phrases that are not in standard English. Face it--what business doesn't use language that is specific to that niche alone? T9 is only for the occasional or very short text entry. Business users need something more robust.

Please read Brighthand news comment from Derek Brown, he is one of the MS mobility honco, and tell me mpx is not aimed at enterprise. Even MS PRPRPR $release$ $are$ $peppered$ $with$ $MS$ $rambling$ $about$ $enterprise$ $and$ $planned$ $cooperation$ $with$ $motorola$ $to$ $tightly$ $coupled$ $Smartphone$ $with$ $their$ $server$ $product$.

T9 sucks? Well it sells. Thumboard doesn't. You can try to argue until you turn blue, that fact remains.

>>>Most independent organizations that review agree that the Office software for the Palm supports MS Office products much better then the Pocket Office versions. There is a healthy segment of the PPC software market in making Pocket Office replacements.

so you are saying treo 600 can read email with office file attachment natively? how about zipped office file natively?

1. Yes there is no office app create/edit. If there is demand, somebody is going to write it. As of now there isn't. Viewing office file however are entirely different story.

2. Obviously you have not used 'enough' WM devices to make a sound judgement. Since anything beyond Smartphone clearly has the feature you say it doesn't have.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    And what restriction would that be? Can't sell no more than 10% of daily volume?

PALM is at $21 right now, they bought it at about $15.5. If they start dumping 60K share per day starting Monday , it will take them about a month and a half, and I don't think they are going to drag down the price the whole $6.

Voila. It doesn't take an einstein to see it's instant profit for Fidelity. Do you think Fidelity is running a charity organisation and give a rats *** about Palm stock price once they see their investment value will not be there anymore? If so my uncle joe can turn water to wine and walk on water too.

Plus I am not aware kyochera and Samsung are planning new model beyond what's currently known. In fact rumor is swirling about Samsung being cool on POS phone.

Sony? They are depended on PALM as LCD customer. Sony is the only maker of that odd ball hi-res and hi-res+ screen. That combined with memory stick are reason enough to make sure PALM is around.
    samsung and kyocera didn't inform you of any new models coming out? i can't believe that.

also, yes of course they're going to drag the stock down 6$ a share if they start to sell thier holdings. who the hell is going buy or even hold palm shares if fidelity owner of more then 11% of palm starts dumping? maybe you. 60k a week for a month and half. please! one sniff of selling in large share blocks by fidelity and they'll be lucky to get the rest out at $15 a share.

this is precisely why there are time and amount restrictions in place to keep fidelity from causing severe damage to palm stock. it frankly benefits both palm and fidelity,

as far as you uncle joe turning water into wine, your posts seem to reflect that very thing.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/21/2003 at 02:40 AM.
    The financial side of Handspring and PALM is exactly what I pay attention to.

Once again, purplex is EXACTLY correct in his postings about what the buyer(s) of those 2.4 million shares can do.

The first "deal" said "Buyer can sell no more than 10% of daily volume per day".

The second deal VERY TELLINGLY had NO restriction on selling.

Both deals gave the buyer(s) INSTANT multidollar profits per share and did so COMPLETELY at the expense of diluting existing shareholders share value - "invest" $20 million, make $23 million within 2 weeks max.

I'd invest in PALM at that ROI with no problem!
    yes, the palm stock has been quite diluted in recent weeks. the share price has done what since fidelity's purchase? the other share holders should be outraged at such a dilution.

and of course, a stock is also diluted whenever a party steps up to buy 11% of a company. it's rather amazing how an investment house like fidelity allows themselves to be party to such a thing.

as i pointed out before, there would be sellers, in volumn, and little if no buyers if fidelity dumps its shares onto the market ,as your simple math has suggested. like i told purplex the gains you've both suggested are really not that simple.

in fidelitys case if it were to" dump" it would simply mean a fast or slow loss of thier appreciation for which it would be solely dependent on the volumn they chose to sell at.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/21/2003 at 03:46 PM.
  7. purpleX
    >>>yes, the palm stock has been quite diluted in recent weeks. the share price has done what since fidelity's purchase? the other share holders should be outraged at such a dilution.

and of course, a stock is also diluted whenever a party step up to buy 11% of a company. it's rather amazing how an investment house like fidelity allows themselves to be party to such a thing. >>>

What are you saying? That those invesment houses have some sort of ethics when it comes to making money? It didn't stop merril playing dirty with Enron. Citibank was also sued for pullng dirty trick recently. And don't forget there was a class action suit in regard to Palm inc. IPO.

>>>as i pointed out before, there are sellers, in volumns,and little if no buyers if fidelity dumps its shares onto the market ,as your simple math has suggested. like i told purplex the gains you've both suggested are really not that simple. >>>

They can dump 60K stock per day without making $6 collapse if done smoothly. The market has upward momentum right now. But of course this is just hypothetical scenario, I got the feeling there is more to come with this 'invesment story' after the merger completion. They know something little jane and joe don't.

>>>in fidelitys case if it were to" dump" it would simply mean a fast or slow loss of thier appreciation to which it would be solely dependent on the volumn they chose to sell at.

I was giving you maximum velocity, 60K/day.
    oh! a slow dump. one in which no one else notices. a kind of stealth sell at 60000 shares a day. why didn't you say so.

with regards to your poor use of ml and citi corp in this case, you obviously don't fully comprehend the damage they caused to themselves as a result of those dealings. lets not forget about the class action that has been considered in the palm ipo. what more does one need in order to relize that fidelity is not interested in a long term investment in palm.

are you able to go outside in this big bad world?

the bottom line is that fidelity did not buy 11% of Palm for a quick buck as you have implied. to suggest such is with out total merit and investment logic.

now get back to that wine!
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/21/2003 at 11:19 AM.
    Please read Brighthand news comment from Derek Brown, he is one of the MS mobility honco, and tell me mpx is not aimed at enterprise. Even MS PRPRPR $release$ $are$ $peppered$ $with$ $MS$ $rambling$ $about$ $enterprise$ $and$ $planned$ $cooperation$ $with$ $motorola$ $to$ $tightly$ $coupled$ $Smartphone$ $with$ $their$ $server$ $product$.

T9 sucks? Well it sells. Thumboard doesn't. You can try to argue until you turn blue, that fact remains.
    Please point out where I say that the device is not aimed towards the enterprise. I can't find it.

I stated that the device was aimed at different customers because it was. There are people that need a device to simply read information and others that need to interact with that same information.

Its like you're trying to say that I think power Desktop users and Mobile laptop users should all use the same device. Please read and use your brain before firing off crap like your response.

I'm not by any means an investment analyst but it certainly makes all kinds of sense and has historical precedent that when a major stock holder starts to eliminate larger percentage points of stock the stock price will be adversely affected. It doesn't matter how smoothly you dump the stock once the street realizes whats going on the stock will be downgraded and then the stock price will be immediately affected adversely.

Mostly large percentage point shareholders try not to do things that hurt their investment. Not always but most investment firms are in it for the money. It makes no sense for Fidelity to increase their investment in Palm if it intends to immediately devalue it.

And please, before you try to read nefarious purpose into something at least find that stated or implied or heck imagined by anyone with credibility. Credibility is something which you completely lack.
  10. purpleX
    (quote JTREOB)

My point: Fidelity sure as heck is not into this for 5-10 years invesment. They know something we don't, and it's more likely something that will happen in 1 -2 year period.

Of course they won't dump it right now, this very minute. But suggesting the investment is long term based on fundamental as you try to imply is just plain silly. There is no fundamental! Revenue is shrinking, profit nowhere to be found, competition is mounting, and the management group is the same. If you are saying the emrger is a smart strategy, we have yet to see a sound explanation aside from 'handwaving' talk about 'synergy'.

Show us projection and explain how those projection is believable. And how PLMO plan to fend off mpx and the like.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    PurpleX,

Do you get paid to troll this board and annoy us? It is obvious that you do not like POS based phones or handhelds so why are you here? You are not going to convert any of us to your opinion and I don't think you are looking to be converted? Please find a new BB to haunt... you are annoying me!

Thanks
    Big Tex

P.S. Another "great" review on the Smart Phone OS or what ever it is called today.
    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...0753_tc072.htm
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    so you are saying treo 600 can read email with office file attachment natively? how about zipped office file natively?
    Yes! It is called QuickOffice and Documents to go. BOTH which work and look much better on the POS then MS. (not just my opinon but opinions from the trades)

And Zipped files can also be opened on POS based devices which means treo 600. As well as Adobe PDF files, etc.

Big Tex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

13. purpleX
    Originally posted by BigTex
    Do you get paid to troll this board and annoy us? It is obvious that you do not like POS based phones or handhelds so why are you here? You are not going to convert any of us to your opinion and I don't think you are looking to be converted? Please find a new BB to haunt... you are annoying me!
    converting you? feeling particularly narcissistic, aren't we today?

P.S. Another "great" review on the Smart Phone OS or what ever it is called today.
    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...0753_tc072.htm [/B]
    Here is an interesting observation:
    1. the G100 was out almost 2 months ago, and treo is not even out in the market. Why making the review now? why comparing it with G1000? why not say i700 or XDA? Or sidekick and RIMM even.

2. anybody can spend 5 minute researching the net and knows how gushy the statement below (Specially regarding iQue and treo600) iQue3600 limitation is not even funny as a GPS guide. The twin towers are still on the map! And no there is no other map. Any person with half a wit will opt for a CF GPS with far better map, more accurate receiver plus better battery life instead. Cheaper even.

CREATIVE BURST. This is a very sharp contrast to what's happening in the Palm world. PalmSource, the soon-to-be independent software arm of Palm Inc. (PALM ), has given its licensees great latitude for customization and has worked closely with them to enable such innovations as one-handed operation of the Treo 600 and location-based features on the iQue from Garmin (GRMN ).

3. as you notice, the article is written with assumption treo 600 is out by the time that article is published. (otherwise some of his sentence won't make sense) Makes you wonder if this guy is getting something for doing stealth PRPRPR

"..Pocket PC 2003, does offer this support, but devices with keyboards using the 2003 software won't appear until late this year. " (Does he really think treo 600 is not in the same vapor ware state as h4355? or is he writing this article on different planet? plus h4355 is not even a phone why bother mentioning it next to treo?)

.... lol...

well that was fun
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Purple,

How do you enter text on this phone?
    No touchscreen and no thumb board.

Sounds like another "not ready for prime time player" to me. How can any mobile professional use this...other than to read emails and make phone calls? Composing emails and editing word docs, excel SS, while out of the office seems to be impossible on this device.

B-T-W, I create and edit and send loan docs from my Treo 270 almost daily. The thumb pad or GII imput area is crucial for this. I don't see any text input for the MPx200?

BigTex

15. purpleX
    Originally posted by BigTex

Yes! It is called QuickOffice and Documents to go. BOTH which work and look much better on the POS then MS. (not just my opinon but opinions from the trades)

And Zipped files can also be opened on POS based devices which means treo 600. As well as Adobe PDF files, etc.

Big Tex
    natively my dear, that's the big idea behind the statement. It's the fine line between a conduit client and a stand alone app.

in term of viewing file QO premier and DTG6.0 are no where near clearvue. For full fledge office app they certainly don't compete against what is available for PPC PE.

Palm inc. has tried to make a big deal about QOp and DTG 6.0 developer, but they are still behind.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    converting you? feeling particularly narcissistic, aren't we today?
    No, why have you evaded my questions? Are you be paid to troll this board?

Do you really think your arguments will convert any of us?

Here is an interesting observation:
    1. the G100 was out almost 2 months ago, and treo is not even out in the market. Why making the review now? why comparing it with G1000? why not say i700 or XDA? Or sidekick and RIMM even.
    Why? because it is the only comparable MS OS product

3. as you notice, the article is written with assumption treo 600 is out by the time that article is published. (otherwise some of his sentence won't make sense) Makes you wonder if this guy is getting something for doing stealth PRPRPR
    Or maybe he has a pre-release treo 600. Just like others who have reviewed the mx200. Why do you believe in a conspiricy when there is a bad review of the SP OS but not when your read a bad review of the POS?

"..Pocket PC 2003, does offer this support, but devices with keyboards using the 2003 software won't appear until late this year. " (Does he really think treo 600 is not in the same vapor ware state as h4355? or is he writing this article on different planet? plus h4355 is not even a phone why bother mentioning it next to treo?)
    he was comparing the Treo 600 to the Hitachi G1000 which is out and the Treo is only days from full release. I don't belive he even mentions the h4355. Do you have problems with your reading comprehension skills?

BigTex

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    my dear
    Darlin' I am not sure I believe in PDA (public displays of affection) but thanks none-the-less

Native is not possible on any other OS other than MS since MS owns office. everyone esle MUST use a conduit. And technically if you can open a word doc without conversion though the desktop during sync then it is NATIVE. Sorry!

BigTex
    Last edited by BigTex; 09/21/2003 at 12:36 PM.

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    natively my dear, that's the big idea behind the statement. It's the fine line between a conduit client and a stand alone app.
    Oh, BTW, clearvue is also a conduit so both PPC PE and POS have the same issue per your definition of Native.

BigTex

Originally posted by purpleX

Would it add to the lunacy if I tell you that some big invesment holder has indeed in the past dump their Palm holding?
    @ yes it would, and i would hope i don't have to explain why.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/21/2003 at 02:44 PM.
    ...if anyone (inc purplex) have actually use the devices they so roundly criticize.

while I use the Treo regularly, I try out other devices and platforms as much as possible to make an informed decision.

Unless you've done that, take the FUD/bunk somewhere else.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast