1.    #1  
    Our hospital is installing a system which will sychronize patient data from the hospital computer with most PDA's. See http://www.mercurymd.com/ Try the demo.

Before making rounds in the morning you synch at an Ir station or better yet via Wi-Fi. Your patient census is downloaded with all labs, x-ray reports, VS, meds, H&P, consults, etc. Currently I have to log in at a terminal every time I go to a different floor, then go back and forth between patient room and terminal (hopefully before it times out) before writing my note. It will be much more efficient going from patient to patient with all the data on my Treo. The system can apparently be configured so that with a smartphone, you can dial in from outside and synch. A perfect use for the Treo 600. Our hospital has Wi-Fi throughout so high speed surfing on a Treo with Wi-Fi SD card is possible when you need to kill a few minutes.

One hospital actually bought all their physicians Tungsten C's. No such luck here, but now I can justify getting a T600 (and writing it off). Can't wait!
  2. purpleX
    I thought handheld/handphone are banned from certain part of hospital due to potential carrier of infectious vector. Something about bacteria that survive on handheld large dry surface.

Most common handheld such as Phone and PDA are not designed for hospital environment and very hard to disinfect.

http://science.slashdot.org/article....id=134&tid=137

'They found that 12 percent of healthcare providers' cell phones were contaminated with [Acinetobacter baumannii].

it] is found in intensive care units, and the mortality rate among infected patients is very high -- between 50 and 60 percent.' The hospital that conducted this research no longer allows the use of cell phones, and are switching to devices that don't require hand contact like pagers.
    Right now I"m leaning towards the Kyocera 7135 due to spare batteries and cover. The thing could run out of batteries at some time during those fun 24 hour shifts... (if it doesn't you'll probably forget to charge it) and also I want to be able to stuff it in my pocket without too much worrying.

I'm sure 3rd party covers will come out for the Treo 600 but no spare batteries

Oh well at least my cell phone contract ran out already and I don't need to start doing rotations for another year and by then something better will come out
  4.    #4  
    Interesting abstract about contamination of PDA's, but if you were to culture physician's pens, the patients' charts, or the computer keyboard you would find the same bacterial flora.

The answer is not sterilizing or banning PDA's, but practicing good infectious disease control--ie, WASH YOUR HANDS.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Actually, I heard cellular phones are not allowed in hospitals because their transmitters interfere with some hospital equipment. They are also not allowed in many doctor's offices, and I also read that they are dangerous around modern gas station pumps.
    I know at least one company used to make tablet computers which could be stuck in an autoclave. I can't remember the brand, I think it started with a K.
  7.    #7  
    My understanding is that digital phones have less of a problem with interference. Where I work, they must be turned off only in the ICU's. From the studies I have read, you have to put the phone virtually inches away from the back of a monitor to cause any problems.
    Originally posted by Chu Zoo
    Our hospital has Wi-Fi throughout so high speed surfing on a Treo with Wi-Fi SD card is possible when you need to kill a few minutes.

One hospital actually bought all their physicians Tungsten C's. No such luck here, but now I can justify getting a T600 (and writing it off). Can't wait!
    The Treo600 should be compatible with the a couple of forthcoming SD wifi cards including one from Sandisk and Hagiwara. The only problem is that typically patient records require a handheld with LOTS of storage capacity. With the Treo600 SD slot occupied with wifi card, you will only have the ~24 MB of internal ram to rely upon. The only possible alternative is the Sandisk dual 256 MB + wifi SD Card slated also slated for release sometime later this year. This card would allow you to add both 256 MB of storage and wifi capabilities...

However, quite frankly if you need a handheld specifically with wifi functionality, I would probably go with a device like the Sony UX50 or T|C. The former is great b/c it has dual wireless and a nice thumbboard. It doesn't have a phone, but it has BT to connect via a BT enabled mobile. It also has a nice high rez+ screen (320x480) which will be useful to view all those records.

Finally, from my expereince most hospitals require you to turn off any wireless equipment like mobiles etc in order to prevent interference with various medical equipment. But I think most equipment now is desinged not to interfere with typical 802.11b networks b/c alot of med schools and hospitals are now deploying widespread wifi networks. A perfect solution would be integrated triband PalmOS device, but alas no such thing exists currently...

P.S. Yes Ska, I know about the wanda

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9. purpleX
    what? it's not Wanda that will kill TC, but h4135.

btw.Computex is monday. We'll see if Wanda is fictional or not. (if anybody do a photo report that is)
    Originally posted by purpleX
    what? it's not Wanda that will kill TC, but h4135.

btw.Computex is monday. We'll see if Wanda is fictional or not. (if anybody do a photo report that is)
    The h4135 doesn't have a phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11. purpleX
    true, but treo is not exactly netowrk friendly either. It's a phone with no wireless network capability. Pretty useless in campus networking like hospital.