1.    #1  
    From the old Brighthand report (edited):

"Samsung SGH-i500, a smartphone that runs Palm OS 5.2 and includes an integrated digital camera.

This device will run the latest version of the Palm OS, which includes the new Graffiti 2 text-entry system.

It will have 32 MB of RAM and 32 MB of ROM.

The SGH-i500 will run an Intel PXA262 processor at 300 MHz.

This smartphone will include an integrated 330 thousand pixel camera capable of taking 640 by 480 pixel images. It also has a built-in flash.

This model has a clamshell shape, with the phone keypad and buttons on one side and the screen on the other. There is a second small screen on the outside.

Its main screen is a 320-by-353 pixel TFT LCD that can display 16-bit color. The extra height is for some icons displaying phone status. The outer screen is a 256 color, 96-by-64 pixel, OLED screen.

The SGH-i500 has an SD slot for extra storage. This is SDIO compatible, so it can use non-memory peripherals that plug into the SD slot.

As a mobile phone, it runs on GSM/GPRS (900/1800,1900) wireless networks, which means it can be used worldwide. It offers both voice and data capabilities.

Its battery is replaceable. The standard 1100 mAh battery will offer 200 minutes of talk time or 100 hours on stand-by. A 1700 mAh battery will also be available.

This device is 3.5 by 2.2 by 1.0 inches and weighs 5.3 ounces."

Has anyone heard anything new on this phone? How does this device still rate with the Treo 600 (besides the obvious lack of QWERTY miniboard, please)?

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sa...unces_SGH-i500
    ...is usually around six months late. The recently released SPH-i500 (not to be mistaken for the SGH-I500), was supposed to have hit the shelves in Q1, and only just saw the light of day.

I believe that Samsung holds back product to get a full life cycle out of their existing equipment. I can't think of any other reason for a six month (or more) time period between FCC approval and FCS.

Keep selling the old stuff until market forces make you slide in the replacement.
    I saw an i500 display model at a Sprint store in Pasadena last weekend ("temporarily unavailable"). Very nice. The quality of construction was what impressed me more than anything else. The sans-thumboard issue was the only thing keeping me from defecting (well, that and being temporarily unavailable).
    The SPH-I500 is CDMA, and PalmOS 4.1. The SGH-I500 is GSM, AND is PalmOS 5 and is more similar in features to the Treo 600
    Has anyone heard anything new on this phone? How does this device still rate with the Treo 600 (besides the obvious lack of QWERTY miniboard, please)?
    According to info posted on the pdaphonehome forums, SGH won't be released until early 2004 at the earliest. Furthermore, there are claims that Samsung is working on two different palmOS 5.x smatphones...

As far as differences, here is a quick run down: 300mhz Intel proc, high rez main screen (320x320), secondary OLED screen, removable battery, numeric keypad, camera with embedded FLASH, and flip design. Pretty significant differences IMO. Some people are trying to spin that the screen really isn't high rez, but it mostly likely will upon release...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Some people are trying to spin that the screen really isn't high rez, but it mostly likely will upon release...
    Hmm... If they have to wait until next year, maybe this jazz about having to wait for high res screens it right. As of now its still vaporware, though, and the Treo seems to be coming around the bend.
    The SPH, at least, is definitely 320 x 320. No question about it.
    it's nice to see another great option coming. it may pay to read the 600 feed back here for a period. it may be by that time the sgh will be an viable option.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/20/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    The SPH, at least, is definitely 320 x 320. No question about it.
    Actually, there's no question about that being wrong. You meant the SGH. And even then, no one knows for sure.
    No, I meant the SPH, just like I wrote. Hence, "The SPH, at least . . ." I never claimed to see a display model of the G; I was just using what I actually saw as a harbinger of what to expect from the SGH.
    No, I meant the SPH, just like I wrote. Hence, "The SPH, at least . . ." I never claimed to see a display model of the G; I was just using what I actually saw as a harbinger of what to expect from the SGH.
    You're serious? You're saying the smartphone that everyone out there says has a 160x160 screen actually has a 320x320 and no one knows it?
    http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/samsung_i500.htm
    The SPH-I500 is the one that is currently out now on the Sprint network and has a 160x160 display, no question about that.

The SGH-I500 is the one yet to be released that may or may not have the 320x320 display. The is the one with the embedded flash, secondary OLED display, etc.
    Fine. I'm evidently wrong about my perception of the resolution (based on looking at the screen, not reading the accompanying specs). If what I saw was 160 x 160, then I've lost all reservations about the Treo's screen.
    Fine. I'm evidently wrong about my perception of the resolution (based on looking at the screen, not reading the accompanying specs). If what I saw was 160 x 160, then I've lost all reservations about the Treo's screen.
    From what I've seen in the newer OS versions (having not owned one, but rather screenshots and the like) they have made numerous improvements to the look and feel of the screen. One issue you may find with the Treo 600 screen if you're basing your conclusion on the SPH i500's, is that the screen color depth is still stuck at 12 bit. I believe the Samsung has 16 bit, which would allow for more subtle shading and the like, resulting in perhaps an enhanced user experience.
    You may be right about the additional color depth, although I didn't see any photos; mainly just Datebook, Memo Pad and the App Laucher. I can't remember if there were drop shadows now, but overall everything looked much sharper -- possibly due to a higher dot pitch or the reduced pixel spacing of the smaller screen.
    possibly due to a higher dot pitch or the reduced pixel spacing of the smaller screen.
    That is a distinct possibility. The Treo 600 will have the same pixel count as the original Palm Pilot (yikes!) but crammed much much much tighter together. This may increase the sharpness of things, but of course, it doesn't increase the amount of information it can display (discounting the added color info).
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Hmm... If they have to wait until next year, maybe this jazz about having to wait for high res screens it right. As of now its still vaporware, though, and the Treo seems to be coming around the bend.
    Good point. That's why not waitng 6 months for Samsung to release the SGH when I can buy the Treo600 (or UX50, I keep changing my mind) in a few weeks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions