1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while reading up on the new 600. I was all set a few weeks ago to buy a 300 when I found out about the impending 600 release. I must say I'm excited about it.

I've used a PocketPC for a few years now and quite honestly I dislike having o carry 3 separate devices (phone, pager and Pocket PC). A guy can only have so many pockets.

I do have a few questions however. Forgive me if they have been asked. I have searched for most of them.

I am on Sprint PCS service however do not currently do not have the vision plan so I am unfamiliar with their services.

1. When browsing the web, sending or receiving emails and other online activities can you accept incoming calls? If not will they be sent to voicemail?

2. Does Snapper mail (or any other Treo mail client) have the ability to leave messages on the server? Does it have the ability to download mail without the attachments (or attachments only under a certain size?) From what I've read Snapper mail can access any POP3 server... correct?

3. Is there software that will allow you to access a FTP with your Treo? A broader question is, does anyone maintain a website (slight changes, updates etc..) from their Treo?

4. I am unfamiliar with Palm OSes. Does older software (say written for older versions of the Palm OS) work for the most part on OS5? I'm sure there are unique cases but generally speaking...

5. Any one have an guesses as to the rebates or incentives Sprint will be offering on rollout of the product (conjecture I know but curious to opinions)

I guess that's it for now. I've enjoyed the board so far and can't wait to take a look at a 600 in person.
    Sean Dotson, PE
    http://www.sdotson.com
    1. When browsing the web, sending or receiving emails and other online activities can you accept incoming calls? If not will they be sent to voicemail?

No, you won't be able to accept the incoming call, unless the data connection is idle. It will go to voicemail if you are unable to accept the call.

2. Does Snapper mail (or any other Treo mail client) have the ability to leave messages on the server? Does it have the ability to download mail without the attachments (or attachments only under a certain size?) From what I've read Snapper mail can access any POP3 server... correct?

Yes, many email clients can leave mail on the server (Snapper mail, Eudora (free), etc...). Many email clients don't support attachments. Snapper mail is one of the few that do. Yes, you should be able to do POP3, as long as the server is accessible outside of your company/ISP network.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sdotson

4. I am unfamiliar with Palm OSes. Does older software (say written for older versions of the Palm OS) work for the most part on OS5? I'm sure there are unique cases but generally speaking...

Most older Palm Apps will work on OS5. Some of the exceptions to that are little programs called hacks that add additional features to the standard Palm interface. I temporarily switched to a Sony Clie TG-50 on OS5 till the 600 is released and all of my older programs with the exception of hacks ran without any problems. A great place to see the diffrent type of Palm applications out there is to checkout www.palmgear.com .
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys. With the execption of this one

3. Is there software that will allow you to access a FTP with your Treo? A broader question is, does anyone maintain a website (slight changes, updates etc..) from their Treo?
    That about answers all my questions...

Any one care to take a shot at # 3?
    Sean Dotson, PE
    yes there are ftp applications. VFSFTP by Ninelocks is one.

I have not actually used any of them but I heard they were pretty good. I think there are also ssh apps.

So, in short I think it would be entirely possible to maintan a small web page from the 600.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you all very much for the quick replies. Great foum you have here.
    Sean Dotson, PE