1.    #1  
    Other than Basejet and TreoMail, anyone know of a good email program that lets me wirelessly check my Outlook mail? TreoMail is just too expensive ($99/year) and I can't seem to get Basejet to work, despite having it work in the past.

TIA...
    I use Eudora to check my mail from my Treo. It's a free download from their web site.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks -- I also use Eudora to check my Yahoo mail, but we don't have POP3 access at work, which is where I need it. That's why I was asking specifically about getting my Outlook mail.

Any others?
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    There are two ways to get you Outlook (i.e. MS Exchange) e-mail with a corporate firewall which will not allow pop3, which I assume is your issue. You can have an e-mail client which supports IMAP (there are a couple out there - do a search at Palmgear) and you can have something that uses a secure server to pull and push your e-mail by installing an app on your PC to push the e-mail.

There is also the Sprint Business Connection service. I believe this uses a piece of software called Seven, but I know nothing about this.

Treomail is one of the latter. There are several other alternatives. Inbox to Go wireless (from dataviz) is one and another is Coresoft aileron.

I tried inbox to go wireless when it first came out and didn't have much luck, but I may try again. I have never tried corsoft aileron, but it offers the service of converting your attachments to Quick office on their server so you can read attachments and it will re-convert them when you forward or send attachments from the treo.

Of course I found several of these after signing up for treo mail.

Another way to do it is to get a Fastmail account which can pull e-mail from your Outlook account and then you can pop3 from fastmail using your favorite app.(www.fastmail.fm). Snappermail is pretty much the e-mail client of choice from the people who have tried many.

Or you can wait for Will Lau (Snappermail) to finish the long awaited, much anticipated IMAP version of snappermail.
    The problem is, most companies using IMAP email only allow internet access to the mail server via a VPN connection, for security reasons, and real VPN (Ipsec or PPTP) apparently doesn't work on Sprint Vision handhelds due to Sprint's data compression. It can be made to work on the laptop data cards (for which Sprint is now selling "managed VPN" services) but not on the Vision PDA phones. So even if you have an IMAP email client and a VPN client for the Treo, you may not be able to directly access the mail server, meaning your only option is BizConnet, TreoMail, Corsoft etc. which require you to leave a PC running in your office 24/7. Not an option for me.

At least, this is what I have been told. If anyone knows different please advise.
    if you didn't like TreoMail due to the cost (only) and if you can leave your main PC connected 24x7, as stated just above (but see following comments) - then Sprint's Business Connection might be for you. Like others above me said, it's fundamentaly similar to TreoMail, in terms of it redirecting mail from your connected PC over to your handheld. When I tried it right after getting my Treo (and soon dumped it in favor of TreoMail) BizConn had a function of allowing a co-worker's PC to essentially act as your redirector - that way, you could take your laptop with you - whatever. So - that might be an option, if that feature is still offered.
    You've pretty much run the gamut of them all tho, as did I - Basejet, TreoMail, BizConn, Inbox To Go. There may be one or two more, but they're all fundamentally similar.
    Here's a list of some email clients that support IMAP:

Versamail 2.5
    Basejet
    2BA Mail
    iambic Mail
    Papi-Mail
    Gopher King
    Corsoft Aileron

IMO, Palm's Versamail seems like the best all around app...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Has anybody been able to get mail directly from an Exchange server (i.e. not via a PC server) on Sprint PCS using one of these IMAP clients? My company, and probably most others that are concerned about security, does not permit direct access to the mail server except via VPN, and as I mentioned above I don't think VPN works on Sprint Treos due to PCS network data compression.
    While I've never tried VPN on the Treo itself, I can connect the Treo to my laptop using PDANet (from www.junefabrics.com) and I get reliable connections to my corp network's VPN. We're using a Sprint-provided IPSec VPN (unrelated to the phone service - Sprint at work is just a coincidence). Through it I can remote control servers while on the road, get email, move files, etc. It's great!

Originally posted by John P. Smith
    The problem is, most companies using IMAP email only allow internet access to the mail server via a VPN connection, for security reasons, and real VPN (Ipsec or PPTP) apparently doesn't work on Sprint Vision handhelds due to Sprint's data compression. It can be made to work on the laptop data cards (for which Sprint is now selling "managed VPN" services) but not on the Vision PDA phones. So even if you have an IMAP email client and a VPN client for the Treo, you may not be able to directly access the mail server, meaning your only option is BizConnet, TreoMail, Corsoft etc. which require you to leave a PC running in your office 24/7. Not an option for me.

At least, this is what I have been told. If anyone knows different please advise.
    It's interesting to know that a Treo used as a wireless modem can support VPN. But one can only do this on an infrequent basis without running afoul of Sprint's TOS, and Sprint is starting to clamp down on this. They want laptops connected via Vision PC cards at $80/month. I suppose occasional email downloading is less likely to raise flags than surfing the Web for hours on end.

I'll keep this in mind, though I really would like to work with my email right on the Treo.