1.    #1  
    I have switched back and forth between Palm and Pocket PC units for years. Iím not loyal to either side as I recognize for my personal use they both have pros and cons. For the last few months Iíve been quite happy with my HP 1940 which I use with a Bluetooth enabled phone for email and web browsing. The Treo 600 looks so interesting that Iíll be making the switch mostly in the interest of replacing my phone and a PDA with one unit.

The thing I will miss the very most about moving from Pocket PC to Palm is ActiveSync. It is so nice to always be synced up and be able to grab the PDA out of itís cradle at anytime knowing Iíll always have my latest Outlook information in hand. I consider the need to manually sync the Palm units an enormous drawback. Particularly when syncing can take so long once I get the unit loaded up with Avantgo, Vindigo, Docs To Go, and a host of other sync time intensive items. My last Palm the Tungsten T had gotten so a Hotsync was taking upwards of 5 minutes to complete. What a pain this is when I want to leave the office at night or go into a quick meeting with my PDA but donít have the latest changes synced over.

Will Palm ever have a syncing system that works similarly to Pocket PC?

Do others share my frustration with this?
    While this certainly isn't the same thing as ActiveSync, have you tried apps like Autosync, Syncer or cradlesnd ? These allow you to specify predetermined hotsync schedules or automaitc sync in cradle etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Iíll give them a try. This seems like an in-between solution though and as you point out itís certainly not that same functionality as Activesync.
    Originally posted by kwilkins
    I have switched back and forth between Palm and Pocket PC units for years. Iím not loyal to either side as I recognize for my personal use they both have pros and cons. For the last few months Iíve been quite happy with my HP 1940 which I use with a Bluetooth enabled phone for email and web browsing. The Treo 600 looks so interesting that Iíll be making the switch mostly in the interest of replacing my phone and a PDA with one unit.

The thing I will miss the very most about moving from Pocket PC to Palm is ActiveSync. It is so nice to always be synced up and be able to grab the PDA out of itís cradle at anytime knowing Iíll always have my latest Outlook information in hand. I consider the need to manually sync the Palm units an enormous drawback. Particularly when syncing can take so long once I get the unit loaded up with Avantgo, Vindigo, Docs To Go, and a host of other sync time intensive items. My last Palm the Tungsten T had gotten so a Hotsync was taking upwards of 5 minutes to complete. What a pain this is when I want to leave the office at night or go into a quick meeting with my PDA but donít have the latest changes synced over.

Will Palm ever have a syncing system that works similarly to Pocket PC?

Do others share my frustration with this?
    I hear ya...I switch from PPC to Palm, and I always thought ActiveSync was much better than the Palm conduits. Not only in terms of grab and go, but also with syncing with Outlook (no surprise).

But, the value of the Treo 300, soon to be 600, completely outweighs the downside. Also, I use a miniSync cable, whcih charges and syncs via USB, and I find that I don't miss a cradle at all. (and the extra charger!)
    One question, ActiveSyncMan -

I have never used a PPC device, but I've always heard horror stories about the sync function with those devices. In fact, I was at CompUSA yesterday, checking out their latest goods, and there was a guy in there asking about new PPC units, and he was commenting on how his PPC units always had issues with sync, messing up his Outlook and such, and the Palms he had previously owned never did.

So the question is - has your sync stuff pretty much always worked smoothly? Just curious...kinda on topic here. kinda.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    One question, ActiveSyncMan -

I have never used a PPC device, but I've always heard horror stories about the sync function with those devices. In fact, I was at CompUSA yesterday, checking out their latest goods, and there was a guy in there asking about new PPC units, and he was commenting on how his PPC units always had issues with sync, messing up his Outlook and such, and the Palms he had previously owned never did.

So the question is - has your sync stuff pretty much always worked smoothly? Just curious...kinda on topic here. kinda.
    I had buggy experiences with older (pre-PPC 03) versions of Activsync. Some of these problems were severe and required hard resets and complete reinstallations to solve them. In one case I had a problem getting my email attachments synced up and could never get it solved.

The latest version of PPC operating system and the Activesync software has been flawless. I have everything in Outlook syncing just fine every time. This includes:

Over 1000 contacts
    My calendar going back 3 years
    All tasks
    All email including attachments. I have 30 sub-folders for email all of which sync perfectly every time. There is a setting to save email attachments to an SD card which is great for saving (in my case) about 80 meg of word, excel, jpeg, PowerPoint, files.

In summary, the latest version of Activsync has worked perfectly for me and I find to be far superior to Hotsync.
    My apologies if this is a stupid question but why can't Palms ActiveSync? Is it something that may be in the cards down the road (and whatever other clichť's I can think of)?

Thanks....

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    can you purchase the treo 600 and pay monthly installments to pay it off?
    if so.. im on board for this sweetheart of a phone too!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I have no need for active sync. I'm not allowed to connect my Treo at work (USAF) because of security concerns. I just sync it at home, so pushing a button is really no big deal. The only thing I use Outlook for at work is email
  10. purpleX
    Originally posted by csherman
    My apologies if this is a stupid question but why can't Palms ActiveSync? Is it something that may be in the cards down the road (and whatever other clichť's I can think of)?
    Active sync is really a much complex piece of software compare to Hotsync. Beyond facilitating outlook sync, AS also fetches a lot of information from the network. It's practically an agent insted of just a simple conduit. A lot of application also use the 'plug in' feature of active sync, tho' this is the part that often gets nasty.