Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I was browsing and I found a phone that I might make a move on!! The phone is called a Mio 8380. Its a smartphone 2002 phone. Has a 200mhz processor with 32mb of ram. it also has a camera. the camera is a lower quality then the treo 600, but it does actually record video WITH sound. It does the MP3 audio/video. It only trade off with this phone is that there is no thumb board, but hell, i dont write long emails on my home PC so the T9 will do me fine!! Its GSM unlocked and is $475-$525 on ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    another pic
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    one more pic...
    This phone is slightly different from the Treo in that it also does not have the Palm operating system. This means that there are only a few third party applications available, if any. Palm has around 100,000 apps out there and most of them are under $20.
    It also doesn't look like it has expansion. If it does have expansion what will you use it for besides MP3s.
    The screen size also looks smaller, not good for doing email and web stuff.
    For the same price as the Treo, I am not sure why anyone would go with this phone.
    I am sure it makes a great PDA if you don't use your PDA for much other than an address book and day planner.
    I use mine for a time tracker, invoice creator, email, map, zip and area code finder, ebook reader, and price tracking tool.
    Only two of the mentioned programs cost me money, most are free downloads.

So, this phone is definately going to be competition for the Treo - for people who don't know any better.
  5. purpleX
    >>>Palm has around 100,000 apps out there and most of them are under $20.

How many?? lol
    Palm has over 100,000 registered developers as of 2000. I figured an average of 1 application per developer.
    Most download data bases contain around 60,000 applications.
    Since palm is so easy to write for, many people create programs that meet their specific need. Something that is nearly impossible for a novice to do on a PPC or Microsoft Smartphone platform.
  7. purpleX
    >>>Most download data bases contain around 60,000 applications.

how many? lol keep trying you'll get it right eventually.

PS. my cat fluffy is a developer too.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Shows you how much Purple knows about PDAs with all the supposed knowledge of them. Credibility -20.

As for the phone, I'd say it's aimed at a different market, since it's not Palm or PPC oriented.

At least there's an external LCD!
    Originally posted by purpleX
    >>>Most download data bases contain around 60,000 applications.

how many? lol keep trying you'll get it right eventually.

PS. my cat fluffy is a developer too.
    Wow are you angry!

Go have some sex dude, and get off of everyone's back!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Palm's website says thus:

Over 13,000 software titles are commercially available. This number does not include any of the specialized applications that are developed in-house by many corporations.

That is a very very conservative number as "commercially available" deals more with licensing than what is really commercially available.

By the way, PPC has over 1,600 programs "commercially available." And most of them are nicely priced and just over $30.
    Actually the Mio is a Microsoft Smartphone, and as such runs the Pocket PC software.

The downside I understand is that it does not have a touch sensitive screen for graffiti input. Most of the input is via computer synchroinzation.

I personally want to get my hands on a Samsung SGH-i500 before I make my final decision, if and when it ever hits the streets.
    Originally posted by csherman

Wow are you angry!

Go have some sex dude, and get off of everyone's back!
    What make you think Puple X is a dude?
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  13. purpleX
    (quote pcsnpixels)

good to know somebody finally come down to earth with those number

The estimated number is
    PPC 5000
    POS 8000

(ebook and database content don't count)
    Originally posted by JakeE

What make you think Puple X is a dude?
    I dunno. He carries a Treo? Just a guess!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Purple, it has been a long time since anyone on here really had a good discussion about PPC vs. Palm.

I will be the first to admit that they are for two different types of people.

PPC is geared more towards those who like their gadgets and a Gameboy just doesnt fill the need. The PPC is for those who like to follow six step processes just to check their battery status. The PPC is faster, has more memory and is more powerful all the way round because it has to be. A PPC needs 64 megs and a 400 mhz processor to keep those large apps and OS running as smooth as their more efficient counterparts on the 33 mhz 8 meg palm IIIxe.

Microsoft has designed the PPC to work "seamlessly" with its other software such as Windows, Outlook and MS Office.

The only problem is that Documents To Go and QuickOffice for Palm run more seamlessly and allow more functionality from the handheld side.

As far as what they do, Palm and PPC are nearly identical. Which one you go with depends on whether you are a practical business user or a casual novelty user. PPC is nice and a lot of fun. Palm is boring and the only business tool that I can't go an hour of my day without.
    Originally posted by csherman

I dunno. He carries a Treo? Just a guess!
    csherman:

The supreme irony is that Puple X does not carry a Treo. Go ahead, ask her what kind of PDA she carries. She won't answer you.
    Last edited by JakeE; 09/18/2003 at 10:05 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    This device is not a Treo competitor. It's going to compete with (and fail) against all the generic LG, Samsung, Sanyo - on and on - flip phones that are flooding the market, at $99 to $49 to free.
    The point that I think MS is missing is that the market for these flip phones, yes, while massive, is going to be owned by the Asian manufacturers. And, as such, MS simply won't be able to replicate their success, from as OS standpoint, as they were able to do on the desktop side. The phone world is fundamentally different. While in the PC world, it's necessary (altho many would argue) to have a somewhat monopolistic environment to ensure app compatibility and such, and thus MS has been able to rule - that same requirement does not apply to the phone world. MS won't be able to dominate the OS. Symbian perhaps? Time will tell. Note that I don't think Palm will either be able to dominate, but I view their OS presence in the converged device world somewhat like Apple on the desktop side - a smaller, niche player, happy to have their piece of the pie, and be profitable (hopefully). Leave the razor-thin margins to players like Sanyo and Samsung, who have the might to weather those storms.
    I don't underestimate the strength that MS can bring to the table - I just don't see them as being able to change their underlying belief structure, and realize the phone OS world is not the same as the desktop OS world. We'll see.....
  18. purpleX
    >>>The point that I think MS is missing is that the market for these flip phones, yes, while massive, is going to be owned by the Asian manufacturers. And, as such, MS simply won't be able to replicate their success, from as OS standpoint, as they were able to do on the desktop side.

>Microsoft doesn't give a damned who manufacture the phone, they only care about controling the OS. Motorola mpx are made by chi mei, while SPV are made by HTC, both are taiwanese companies. Microsoft in fact is banking on new comer Taiwanese companies to beat the traditional handset maker such as Nokia.

Microsoft is bringing PC model into the handphone, trying to break Nokia's handset business model.

Palm is a lost in phone business, no big name is betting on their OS, Handspring saw this coming already. For each phone they introduce, the other guy introduce 6 to a dozen models with ever more advance feature. They don't have the money or strategic leverage to compete against the big boys like Nokia or Motorola, so they decide to fold.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Handspring folded? Another nonsensical post from this poor girl.

Have a cookie, kid.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    >>>
    Palm is a lost in phone business, no big name is betting on their OS
    Actually Sony are quite a big Palm OS licensee, so I don't think it will be too long before Sony Ericsson bring out a Palm OS smartphone.

This will happen when technology improves so that we can get all the features we've seen in their NX and UX lines shrunk into a smartphone.

So we have
    Palm OS 10 running choice of 1 million apps.
    Maybe rebuilt on linux as Palm OS X
    thumboard
    Bluetooth
    Wifi
    Quadruple current battery life, solar charger
    4mp camera
    1gb RAM
    Support of 10gb SD card/Memory stick
    Keyboard
    800x600 screen very bright, sunlight visible
    GPS
    TiVo-like Digital radio, TV and Video recorder
    Local voicemail
    Voice recorder
    Mpeg4/DivX player

all in a smartphone smaller than the T600 and for less money.

Maybe in 5 years time....who knows...

I wouldn't discount Palm OS for at least 5 years yet.

What you see now has probably been conceived as a concept 4 years ago, and prototyped 2 years ago.

Who knows what Palm, Handspring, Sony have up their sleeves for 2008.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast