Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. purpleX
    >>> ... so I don't think it will be too long before Sony Ericsson bring out a Palm OS smartphone.

wishfull thinking or science fiction?
    Originally posted by mervynle
    Actually the Mio is a Microsoft Smartphone, and as such runs the Pocket PC software.
    Actually it doesn't. Apps that run on M$ Smartphone 2002 and M$ Smartphone 2003 are NOT compatible with PPC2000 or Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PCs. Eventually in the future M$ may unify these two distinct platforms, but not right now. Furthermore, you can't necessarily use any 3rd part app on M$ smartphones anyway b/c they're often software locked by the OEM! Thus, there is currently a definitely a major SOFTWARE DEFICIT in M$ smartphone apps compared to PalmOS. Of course, this will change and eventually more PPC developers will port their apps to M$ smartphone, but dearth of software solution is real...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Are you suggesting that only males carry Treos? I know more women than men that carry Treos in my circle!
    Seriously X,
    This is getting silly. There is no way that you can believe the stuff you spout off about on this board. You are FAR to intelligent to actually think that these obscure phones you reference make a difference. Now I realize from your syntax(which as an English major makes me cringe) that you are obviously not from a CDMA market. The only problem is that you always bring up phones that ,while they may make a difference in some part of the world, they don't here in the United States. You know, that part of the world that developed BOTH of these operating systems, which I find funny because the only truly successful PPC models you ever seem to name are ones we rarely even see here. Is there any way you could try to win your case using a Toshiba 2032 or Samsung i700? Yeah I didn't think so.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by purpleX

Microsoft is bringing PC model into the handphone, trying to break Nokia's handset business model.

Palm is a lost in phone business, no big name is betting on their OS, Handspring saw this coming already. For each phone they introduce, the other guy introduce 6 to a dozen models with ever more advance feature. They don't have the money or strategic leverage to compete against the big boys like Nokia or Motorola, so they decide to fold.
    OYE!! Talk about bending the truth SKA! The reason M$ went to Asian ODM's is b/c for years they couldn't get a single major handset OEM to support their platform 100%. That's the major reason behind wireless provider branding of the handsets! It was not until the freakin MPx200 from Motorola that M$ finally announced a major alliance with a handset OEM. M$ didn't go to the Taiwanese ODM's out of strategy but out of necessity! However, that may now changed with Motorola on board. But remember Motorola is still a Symbian lisencee and a major Linux proponent. From Motorola's perspective, the major issue is cross-platform Java support which they think will drive the market...which might be true. In that case, Motorola is probably just hedging its bet with various mistresses! The same could be said of Samsung (they have symbian, M smartphone, and PalmOS mobile), but they still retain their stock in the Symbain consortium unliks Motorola...

Furthermore, how can you say there are no big name OEM's supporting PalmOS in the mobile segment? What about PalmOne, Samsung, Kyocera, and Hunetec. Then there's also GSL, Lenovo and possibly Acer (if rumors are true) in the Asian market. All these have PalmOS smartphone in market or development...

Of course, I'm not even going to pretend that PalmOS is in the same heavy weight league as Symbian. But siren call of its demise is still far exaggerated IMO...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/18/2003 at 12:53 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels

PPC is geared more towards those who like their gadgets and a Gameboy just doesnt fill the need. The PPC is for those who like to follow six step processes just to check their battery status. The PPC is faster, has more memory and is more powerful all the way round because it has to be. A PPC needs 64 megs and a 400 mhz processor to keep those large apps and OS running as smooth as their more efficient counterparts on the 33 mhz 8 meg palm IIIxe.

Microsoft has designed the PPC to work "seamlessly" with its other software such as Windows, Outlook and MS Office.

The only problem is that Documents To Go and QuickOffice for Palm run more seamlessly and allow more functionality from the handheld side.

As far as what they do, Palm and PPC are nearly identical. Which one you go with depends on whether you are a practical business user or a casual novelty user. PPC is nice and a lot of fun. Palm is boring and the only business tool that I can't go an hour of my day without.
    I think that you are talking about the OS4 and old processors. The Palm OS5/6 ARM Xcale processor PDAs are actually outperform the PPC based on the same processors. There is a independent lab test for this:
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3599.html

OS6 will support the same processors and hardware which the PPC does. It has much better 'security' support than PPC, so it will do well in enterprise market. Palm is also tweaking OS6 to support .Net, so many MS softwares would be supported as well. The future OS6 smartphones will not only be as powerful as PPC, but still retain the phone form factor designs.

The official count of Palm commercial softwares is 19,000+ as indicated on the PalmSource web site. But who knows how many custom softwares are out there.

The new MS Smartphones (2002 or 2003) will only appeal to those who don't need power PDA functions. In that space, they will still have to compete with Symbian and Palm. MS just released Smartphone 2003 SDK few weeks ago, so it will be a while before appreciable softwares are showing up.
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    I use mine for a time tracker, invoice creator, email, map, zip and area code finder, ebook reader, and price tracking tool.
    Only two of the mentioned programs cost me money, most are free downloads.
    What program do you use for finding zip codes and area codes?
    go.digital
    Originally posted by purpleX
    >>> ... so I don't think it will be too long before Sony Ericsson bring out a Palm OS smartphone.

wishfull thinking or science fiction?
    Samsung's already got a Palm OS phone coming up, and Sony makes dozens of Palm OS PDAs, so is it really that hard to use some imagination.

All our phones now are science fiction if you were living in 1998!
  9. purpleX
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    Seriously X,
    This is getting silly. There is no way that you can believe the stuff you spout off about on this board. You are FAR to intelligent to actually think that these obscure phones you reference make a difference.

Is there any way you could try to win your case using a Toshiba 2032 or Samsung i700? Yeah I didn't think so.
    Post your version of market prediction, and please back it up with 'intelligence' number.

and what would you like to knw about Toshiba 2032 and sph i700? As of now both sell more unit than treo 600. lol
    But no, 2032 is a flop, but i700 seems to be well received. No sale number is known.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    well on thing is for certain, Palm definately has more apps, but look at the apps. How many Palm apps show like recipes, and college football schedules. I dont need sh*t like that!! How many apps let you make your own backdrop and charge 20-30 bucks for it??
  11. purpleX
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by gfunkmagic

>>>>OYE!! Talk about bending the truth SKA! The reason M$ went to Asian ODM's is b/c for years they couldn't get a single major handset OEM to support their platform 100%.

I don't know what Microsoft reason is, but it is certainly well known they hit a brickwall two years ago trying to persuade first tier phone OEM to adopt their OS. But time change, and it seems Microsoft ends up getting what they want. Motorola and Samsung being the case.

>>>> It was not until the freakin MPx200 from Motorola that M$ finally announced a major alliance with a handset OEM. M$ didn't go to the Taiwanese ODM's out of strategy but out of necessity!

sure, unless you are suggesting Microsoft should adopt Nokia/Handspring busines model of making their own handset. Microsoft sells OS, and they don't give a fots about who produce the handheld. (although big name certainly help their case)

>>>Furthermore, how can you say there are no big name OEM's supporting PalmOS in the mobile segment? What about PalmOne, Samsung, Kyocera, and Hunetec. Then there's also GSL, Lenovo and possibly Acer (if rumors are true) in the Asian market. All these have PalmOS smartphone in market or development...

Samsung and kyochera are reasonably big. But who the hell are PalmOne and huntec? I've never heard of them in phone space are they even going to exist 2 years from now? Seriously, next hing I know you will start quoting that Kiwi company acheca or Fossile even.

>>>>>Of course, I'm not even going to pretend that PalmOS is in the same heavy weight league as Symbian. But siren call of its demise is still far exaggerated IMO...

POS is dead in phone space. Kyochera hasn't shown any new models, and Smsung doesn't seem to be that enthusiastic about it too. Yeah you better hope that Pa1mone and hunetech are going to save POS in phone space.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    i dont know, with a phone like this priced below the price of a treo, i think it would be well recieved here if MS and the manufacture would push it here. Palm OS is cool, but its not half the OS that smartphone2002 is. Palm os depends on all 30 party software that may or may not work with your unit. hell there is no unified mp3 player, damn sure isnt one thats free. treo mail is nothing like pocket outlook and pocket excel and word?? is there a palm os that comes close?? probably not, and definately not for free
    Originally posted by RStall
    i dont know, with a phone like this priced below the price of a treo, i think it would be well recieved here if MS and the manufacture would push it here. Palm OS is cool, but its not half the OS that smartphone2002 is. Palm os depends on all 30 party software that may or may not work with your unit. hell there is no unified mp3 player, damn sure isnt one thats free. treo mail is nothing like pocket outlook and pocket excel and word?? is there a palm os that comes close?? probably not, and definately not for free
    WHAT!! Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about. Real has a free PalmOS mp3 player for months now and why they heck should Palmsource force a "unified" mp3 player down the throats of all uers?! Furthermore, there's about a dozen differrent options out there besides Treomail. If you'ld done a simple search you wouls ave known that. Secondly, why are you comparing a push email solution to pocket outlook anyway? That makes no sense period! Sheesh!

Originally posted by JakeE

csherman:

The supreme irony is that Puple X does not carry a Treo. Go ahead, ask her what kind of PDA she carries. She won't answer you.
    shes just jealous that she cant get one til the welfare check comes in...thats why shes actin like that
    Icy
    300 w/ Sprint
    will be
    600 w/ Sprint
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I don't know what Microsoft reason is, but it is certainly well known they hit a brickwall two years ago trying to persuade first tier phone OEM to adopt their OS. But time change, and it seems Microsoft ends up getting what they want. Motorola and Samsung being the case.
    You don't know the reason! LOL! C'mon isn't it obvious! No one wants to let M$ turn the mobile industry into the commoditized white boxes that PC's have turned into and what PPC have become. The only only one who makes money in that instance is the monopoly of M$. The problem is that mobile phones like other consumer electronics are not the same as the PC industry and M$'s wintel model cannot be replicated all the time. Furthermore, there's some big time heavy weights like Nokia and Symbian consortium this time that will give M$ hard time...

sure, unless you are suggesting Microsoft should adopt Nokia/Handspring busines model of making their own handset. Microsoft sells OS, and they don't give a fots about who produce the handheld. (although big name certainly help their case)
    Umm...as a M$ fanboy you should know, ska, that M$ makes tons of hardware these days. What do you call all these keyboards, mice, the Xbox and etc. Furthermore, who do you think was designing the "stinger, tanager, etc" ref designs? Oh yeah it was Sendo...I forgot! LOL!

Samsung and kyochera are reasonably big. But who the hell are PalmOne and huntec? I've never heard of them in phone space are they even going to exist 2 years from now? Seriously, next hing I know you will start quoting that Kiwi company acheca or Fossile even.
    Samsung has multiple mistresses just like Motorola, and why shouldn' it. Furthermore, the rumors at pdaphonehome indicate Samsung has two OS5 smartphones in development fo release by next year. Btw, what happenned to the i600? Kyocera is on their 3rd PalmOs smartphone device. We probably won't see new phone from them until mid 2004. Palmone, heck you should know who that is! Huntec is going to make the headsets for Weblink's Reflex network (similar to BB implementation). Of course GSL has just released their X-plore G18 in Asia (alredy available in HK) and Lenovo may release a palmOs phone later (in addition to their proprietary OS). Aceeca and Fossil don't make phones btw...

This why there is so much controversy over PPC and Treo....they are two completely different things...ppc is for gamers....like an alienware computer....treo is for business people...like dell...the same way u cant compare alienware to dell you cant compare treo to PPC
    Icy
    300 w/ Sprint
    will be
    600 w/ Sprint
    Originally posted by IcYPLaYa21
    This why there is so much controversy over PPC and Treo....they are two completely different things...ppc is for gamers....like an alienware computer....treo is for business people...like dell...the same way u cant compare alienware to dell you cant compare treo to PPC
    UH...please explain the Tapwave Zodiac then?

18. purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

You don't know the reason! LOL! C'mon isn't it obvious! No one wants to let M$ turn the mobile industry into the commoditized white boxes that PC's have turned into and what PPC have become. The only only one who makes money in that instance is the monopoly of M$. The problem is that mobile phones like other consumer electronics are not the same as the PC industry and M$'s wintel model cannot be replicated all the time. Furthermore, there's some big time heavy weights like Nokia and Symbian consortium this time that will give M$ hard time...
    But Microsft gets their way afterall! that's the point. Microsoft reshuffle the old market relationship between handset maker/carrier/OS/developer.

And it is pretty dubious to suggest HTC or chimei are not in the business to make money.

Will Microsoft suceed? we'll have to see a year from now. I got the feeling 40B buys a lot of new friends.

Umm...as a M$ fanboy you should know, ska, that M$ makes tons of hardware these days. What do you call all these keyboards, mice, the Xbox and etc. Furthermore, who do you think was designing the "stinger, tanager, etc" ref designs? Oh yeah it was Sendo...I forgot! LOL!
    I don't know, do YOU know? If so you sure are ahead of Sendos lawyer. And there are two more smartphone reference design in case you haven't notice. Intel and TI.

Samsung has multiple mistresses just like Motorola, and why shouldn' it. Furthermore, the rumors at pdaphonehome indicate Samsung has two OS5 smartphones in development fo release by next year.
    did you try this multiple mistress argument before? And I sure don't see motorola cozy up to POS, or Samsung adding POS models. (oh yeah rumors, who knows where that come from. Post link)

We probably won't see new phone from them until mid 2004.
    or we probably won't. *yawn*

Palmone, heck you should know who that is! Huntec is going to make the headsets for Weblink's Reflex network (similar to BB implementation). Of course GSL has just released their X-plore G18 in Asia (alredy available in HK) and Lenovo may release a palmOs phone later (in addition to their proprietary OS). Aceeca and Fossil don't make phones btw... [/B]
    You missed it eh? If you are complaining Microsoft can't get first tier OEM. Does Pa1mone, hunetech, GSL sounds like first tier to you? Are they even the top player in china? get out of here. They are worst than pathetic, I would be surprise if their combined unit numebr will surpase the already minute Handspring sale.

I have not heard any POS lenovo phone.
    But Microsft gets their way afterall! that's the point. Microsoft reshuffle the old market relationship between handset maker/carrier/OS/developer.

And it is pretty dubious to suggest HTC or chimei are not in the business to make money.

Will Microsoft suceed? we'll have to see a year from now. I got the feeling 40B buys a lot of new friends.
    M$ dominate the world you say?! Well they haven't successly done so in pdas, smartphones, or game consoles have they? The truth is that none of the ancillary divisions of M$ besides the Windows of Office unit make money for M$. Yes, they got $40 B in cash so they can be patient. But that doesn't mean the competition will lie down and surrender! Btw, Nokia has a pretty big stash as well FYI...

Also, of course M$ can find asian ODM whipping boy for its uses! But every freakin body uses these ODM's to manufacture handsets! That's not original and the ODM's don't have necessary brand that M$ craves to do battle with Nokia. The point is M$ wants to treat these ODM's like PC clone makers which struggle to make margins while BG rakes up profits in OS monopoly. This standard wintel model won't work on mobiles b/c the market is to stratified and segmented and handset OEMs don't need M$ OS to run their phones while wireless providers don't want to give M$ control on content delivery.

I don't know, do YOU know? If so you sure are ahead of Sendos lawyer. And there are two more smartphone reference design in case you haven't notice. Intel and TI.
    Read it again. Sendo lawsuit was specifically targeted against intell claims on Stinger. Yes, Sendo and M$ made a settlement afterwards, but I never said the $40B wasn't useful to them. And oh yeah, M$ never steals intell ideas from others!

did you try this multiple mistress argument before? And I sure don't see motorola cozy up to POS, or Samsung adding POS models. (oh yeah rumors, who knows where that come from. Post link)
    Rumors shumors. There's only confirmation of the SGH, that's the point of rumors! Btw, my rumors are just as good as your claims! LOL! Btw, don't get to uppity cuz M$ finally got Motorola! Sheesh! It's just ONE Oem afterall. Lets see how many M$ smartphones they release vs. linux and UIQ. They already said their focus is on cross platform Java implementation long term. What runtime envirionment will M$ use on smartphone anyway?...

You missed it eh? If you are complaining Microsoft can't get first tier OEM. Does Pa1mone, hunetech, GSL sounds like first tier to you? Are they even the top player in china? get out of here. They are worst than pathetic, I would be surprise if their combined unit numebr will surpase the already minute Handspring sale.
    Hey, doesn't Samsung and Kyocera sound first tier to you. And GSL is quite popular in HK, China. Yeah, I agree they need more lisencees in the future but why U smackin the small lisecnees. Please, M$ has it's Alaska Cove's and Dolphins as well. Motorola used to be PalmOS lisencee back in the day, but that was a long time ago. Maybe SE in the future? Who knows...

X,
    I guess the biggest problem I have with the argument you make is that I can find no one that owns the phones you talk about. You admit the 2032 was a flop, but so is the i700 if you work in the industry. It has long been rumored that the i700 would get picked up by Sprint, but it hasn't. Do you know why? Because it has more software problems than any phone I've seen in a while. EVERY PPC I've ever worked with had more issues than a Vanity Fair.
    Seriously, if a phone can't pass Sprint's "rigorous"...heehee...haha...sorry...testing then it's got to be junk. Tell me about a PPC phone that's come to market in the states without huge software glitches? Granted some of the Palm based phones have too...but not ALL of them.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast