I currently have a tmobile hiptop. This lets me be always connected to AIM or surf the web. No signing in is required. Does the Treo 300 support having aim always running. Also can I use the Treo 300 connected to my laptop to surf the web without additional charge.?
    Thanks,
    Will
    Originally posted by w0ss
    I currently have a tmobile hiptop. This lets me be always connected to AIM or surf the web. No signing in is required. Does the Treo 300 support having aim always running. Also can I use the Treo 300 connected to my laptop to surf the web without additional charge.?
    Thanks,
    Will
    Nope... The "Sprint" way of doing always on is, signing on to the vision network, which may or may not happen right away. Or all all if it's even working that day. There are apps that allow you to appear as if you are always on with AOL. I believe Verichat is one. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You can run AIM on the Treo 300, but expect worse batter life than talking on the phone. Mine will last somewhere between 1 - 2 hours when everything is working properly. When it's not, 20 - 30 minutes and the phone is blinking red.

You can use the treo connected to your laptop. It works great, but there are unanswered questions as to how long you can get away with doing it and only paying the $10-$15 unlimited vision charge. I've done it for a few hours every now and then and not had a problem. I would not use it as your only primary internet account.

The only reason why someone from a GSM carrier should move to sprint is to pay less money, or get better coverage in your area. Vision is certainly not worth the switch! Now, before I get slammed about the unlimited $10 vision... I have it, and love it. I love my $55 a month for 500 anytime, and unlimited nights and weekends with unlimited vision. That said, the only reason why I am still with sprint is price and the GSM coverage in the US as a whole is pretty lacking so far.

I hope this helps.

Also... Wait for the Treo 600!
    not that I doubt your answer but that just seems horrible. Why is it setup like that? with my hiptop I am conected via GPRS for 48 hours with moderate IMing and browsing before the battery is dead. Will the 600 have always on connectivity?
    Thanks,
    Will
    Well I think I disagree a little bit - there are two aspects to this answer: 1) how Vision is supposed to work, and does, for the most part, and 2) what happens when the connection is lost. So let's go:

1. How Vision is intended to work: (with the caveat that I've never used a GPRS device) - basically the Treo sets up a persistent connection, which stays active, kind of in the background. When you invoke a data app (like chat or email, or surfing, or whatever), the data side of the device goes 'active' and the data connection is hot. That then means the phone side of things can't work until the data goes idle again - note that idle means it's still connected, in the background. Kind of like having the car running, but not engaged in 'drive' or whatever.

2. What sometimes happens: The data connection will drop from time to time, depending on location, etc. It's not THAT big of a deal - just takes 20/25 seconds to reconnect.

So that's how I see it. Will the 600 be different? I tend to doubt it, since this entire thing is all about the network, and not the device, really. But it has mostly always-on connectivity. Battery is something else altogether - the 600 will be better in that regard.
    If you search around in this specific forum (the Sprint300 one), you'll find lots of threads on data connection stuff....
    I did do some searching but did not see anything stating specificly whether it's always on. Cuz I read like reviews where when you open blazer it looks like it's dialing up. With GPRS I am always connected but if you get a call at the exact time a data packet is sent u won't get the call. Also the speed on GPRS is horrible I get like 10 second latency sometimes.

Well thanks for all the answers although I am still unsure if the treo can do exactly what I want(always on connection,still get calls,go at least 24 hours with the always on connection with moderate useage).
    Thanks,
    Will
    here's an easy way to think of it. With Vision - you have 'connected' and 'transmitting'. I'm connected pretty much all the time (altho some choose not to be, to save battery life). I transmit when I am actively doing a data thing. So - for example, the signal indicators that show my connection status have the data arrows as grey when I'm connected, and green when I'm actively transmitting. if green, then voice call - if grey, the voice should come on through.
    See if that makes it any clearer....
    Originally posted by w0ss
    I did do some searching but did not see anything stating specificly whether it's always on. Cuz I read like reviews where when you open blazer it looks like it's dialing up.
    There is an option where you can disconnect and connect each time you use Blazer, or you can have it "always on".

In my experience, even if I leave my phone on my desk at work where the signal is always strong, I still get dropped from the network way too much. This is most annoying when using snapper mail, because for some reason, when you want to fetch mail, snapper thinks it is still connected, and you have to wait for it to time out before you can try again. Usually by the third time, it works out that it has to connect. Not sure if this is a snapper problem or a handspring or a Sprint problem, but if you are thinking you'll want to quickly check your e-mail, or quickly check a web site, then the 300 probably isn't for you.

Saying that - I love my Treo :-)
    I might get flamed for this, but where do you get the hardware for connecting your laptop to your treo? I've searched the threads, but they are so overwhelming in number posts, I can't seem to find the info on a data cable for my treo to my laptop. Can anyone give me a quick answer?
    It comes with one, or you can order one from Ebay.
    Signal strength is the key to all of this. I also have a hiptop and poor GSM coverage. That makes it pathetic. I guess they don't squat your AIM connection, because I could never maintain any kind of presence due to my intermittent coverage.

Signal issues are the same with the Treo. The only saving grace I have is that VeriChat will maintain a presence for me whether I'm connected or not. That's good enough to get the alert when someone sends me an IM, assuming that I manage to obtain a signal at some point. Then I can go to the roof and type a response, or I can fire up the PC to answer the IM etc. Seriously why don't people just use email?

I currently have a Treo 300, but I'm going to switch to GSM for the 600, preferably 850MHz. CDMA is too much of a battery hog, plus I think the GSM/GPRS way of giving voice the priority is the way it should be.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    It comes with one, or you can order one from Ebay.
    KRamsauer, I'm referring to the cable for hooking my treo up to my laptop for data access (not for hot syncing). or is this the same hardware you use to get internet access on your laptop using vision?
    is USB data cable too. I recommend getting a USB hotsync/charger cable so you could surf with your laptop while charging your Treo. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    is USB data cable too. I recommend getting a USB hotsync/charger cable so you could surf with your laptop while charging your Treo. Good luck.
    Thanks ChemEngr...what about drivers/software on how to get the connection going? I've read some places that you dial #777 to get the connection, but I'm sure I'll need some drivers to let my laptop know I'm connecting with the treo... Thanks!
    GSM/GPRS versions of the Treo (270 and 180) have always on functionality without any noticeable effect on battery.

As for AIM, you can use VeriChat on any Treo and achieve the same resut, whether or not you are always connected.

Lastly, I'm not sure if the hiptop is using GPRS or SMS for AIM. T-Mobile and other GSM carriers have AIM to SMS bridges that people can use from any phone. It could be that that's what the sidekick is using.
    Originally posted by demoflauchy

Thanks ChemEngr...what about drivers/software on how to get the connection going? I've read some places that you dial #777 to get the connection, but I'm sure I'll need some drivers to let my laptop know I'm connecting with the treo... Thanks!
    PDAnet is the software of choice for Windows users, Wireless Modem for Mac users. Search this forum for more info on both these highly touted software - however they are not free but definitely worth the price. Good luck.

You might want to do a search on vision usage on laptops - this has been discussed to death on these boards. It seems occasional use is permitted but some vision accounts have been cancelled for abuse so beware.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!