Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think it's fascinating that every single valid point that purplex has made has been met by personal attacks.

And I think treocentral should remove every damn one of them.

Even the "mild" ones.

======

The comment was made that someone is happy the TREO will only sell a few to a niche market.

I, too, believe that the TREO will only sell a few to a niche market as every single past TREO has sold.

Unfortunately, companies need more than a few sales to survive.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    From initial SPV sale, smartphone has more traction than treo. It is possible that phone market is reasonably distinct that a shrunken PDA approach won't work. We'll have to see the marketshare number in Q2, that's when most people think we'll know for sure if MS smartphone is a bad bet or pretty good idea. So far it seems to gain traction. It's rather impressive actually considering how clueless Microsoft was about this market two years ago.

----
    integrating BT into treo will take them at least a good half year, too late to do them any good. Plus BT application in Palm is so weak, I actually think it doesn't make any difference to treo.
    Since this was the last intelligent post Ska made here in this thread, I respond here. He's actually correct about the SPV getting more initial market traction in Europe than the Treo did upon initial release. But that was also b/c of technology nearly 2yrs more advanced than the Treo. We have to remember folks that the Treo when released by Handspring was bleeding edge and the smartphone market was only in it's nacient stages then. When intially released, it was expensive, buggy, and the market was still miniscule. A host of problems like these are the reason why there were nearly 100,000 unsold Treos as reported a while ago! Thus, it totally acceptable to question whether the Treo600 will be successful b/c Handspring wasn't able to show it with their previous model. However having said that, I believe it will be successful and we're just going to have to wait a few months to find out...

Also regarding the target market for the Treo600. Of course its for a niche market! The Treo will never and can never compete against lower end consumer mobiles and phone centric Series 60 from Nokia etc. Nokia is definitely going to outsell the treo with its 3650. But I think the Treo600 will do fine against the P800/810, Moto A902, G1000, and MPx200 etc. Handspring and now PalmOne realize that if they can get 4-5% foothold in the burgeoning smartphone mobile segment they'll be lucky. IMO, PalmOne will eventually have to release a non-thumbboard treo for the more phone centric smarthone market, but for now I think they have a winning product with the Treo600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Well mister genius,

Apparently the so called 'everyone' is only 162K according to Handspring, compare that to over 200million handphone users worldwide.
    How many Microsoft phones are out there. You can buy your Microsoft phone and be happy with it, and good for you. We will buy our Treo 600, and be happy with it.

Just because some bubble headed bimbo in a coffee shop can't use a phone with keyboard because she can't read doesn't make the phone bad, it just proves she is stupid.

That is a stupid analogy anyways because the Treo 600 is not meant for these people anyway. It is designed for professionals who want integrated phone/PDA and want to be able to access and read e-mails with that device remotely.
  4. purpleX
    {quote gfunk}

If it is mpx200 vs treo 600 market share, I will bet my money on mpx200. Its much cheaper, has motorola name stamped on it, and it has far wider distribution.
  5. purpleX
    Originally posted by lnichols

Just because some bubble headed bimbo in a coffee shop can't use a phone with keyboard because she can't read doesn't make the phone bad, it just proves she is stupid.

those bubble headed bimbos are where the money is.

those bubble headed bimbos are where the money is.
    You are so right. All those free and highly subsidized phones that they are "buying" are making the phone manufacturers a ton of money. Nokia has to sell a lot of phones because their profit per phone on their high selling models (i.e. free ones) is very low because the carriers have purchasing agreements to get them dirt cheap. The carriers get their money back (All $20-$30 dollars of it) from the service or the service termination cost.

Nokia, Motorola, Siemens, and the other big players in phone manufactuing don't make most of their money on the phones, they make the money on the infrastructure to support the phones. As a matter of fact Motorola has almost had to shut down it cellular division multiple times because they were so behind everyone else. Nextel has been the only thing that has prevented that.

Handspring/Palm can sell less phones, at a higher profit per phone, but will still never make as much money as the others because they just sell phones and PDAs. So if they can win the Niche market that they are in, then they will do just fine.
  7. purpleX
    except they can't live on niche market, and they are not doing fine. (ie. pleasseee...somebody bail me out, I am running out of money and have used up 400M...somebody.....)
    Where's the moderator in this forum??? Can't we be more civil than this?? If you have a difference in opinion let's just agree to disagree and move on!!
    go.digital
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    {quote gfunk}

If it is mpx200 vs treo 600 market share, I will bet my money on mpx200. Its much cheaper, has motorola name stamped on it, and it has far wider distribution.
    So buy it.

Did Palm do something to you to make you hate it so much?

What phone do you have??? What experience with a PDA phone???

You've yet to answer any of this. Instead you just throw out random links and phone models all the time. Can't you decide on what you like???

Credibility takes another -20 hit.
    Felipe wrote:
    2. he uses snapper and mentioned the included mail app, both of which are pull.

That's what's so puzzling. How on earth could any pull email system be superior to push email? Granted, Mossberg is pretty partisan about the Treo, but his comparison implies more than a personal preference at work here.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Felipe wrote:

That's what's so puzzling. How on earth could any pull email system be superior to push email? Granted, Mossberg is pretty partisan about the Treo, but his comparison implies more than a personal preference at work here.
    If it pulls every 15 minutes, that's probably good enough for most people. Granted not everyone, but most.
    {quote gfunk}

Why are you assuming that only one model can survive? How many wireless phone models are out there? How many of them are almost the same? What are you basing this single survivor theory on?

And while I'm at it, I'll ask you for the fourth time: what type of handheld device(s) do you own and use?
    Felipe wrote:

Not everyone puts such a high value on push email compared to pull. There are many users who don't really care about push vs pull.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/18/2003 at 03:42 PM.
    [i]Felipe wrote:
    How on earth could any pull email system be superior to push email?
    I once had a skytel version of the blackberry. The email service was not bulletproofed. My cingular version was great. The software and design philosophy was different between the two, and in fact the skytel version would not auto-resend outgoing mail once it failed.
    The non-replaceable battery is the one thing that bugs me about the Treo 600. I realize this was done for size reasons, but it is irritating to contemplate investing $400-500 in a device knowing that it is likely to be unusable after a couple of years due to battery deterioration.

Is is possible that Handspring might offer a factory battery replacement service? If I knew I could send the phone somewhere and get a new battery installed for say $100, that would alleviate my concerns. This would not be as good as a user-swappable battery, but at least it extends the useful lifespan of the device.
    Originally posted by John P. Smith
    Is is possible that Handspring might offer a factory battery replacement service? If I knew I could send the phone somewhere and get a new battery installed for say $100, that would alleviate my concerns. This would not be as good as a user-swappable battery, but at least it extends the useful lifespan of the device.
    Here in the UK, my experience with Handspring support has been wonderful! You email them with your problem, they send you a box (already postage paid for BY Handspring) which you put your faulty Treo (even out of 12 month warranty) and one or 2 days later you get a brand spanking new Treo with a free stylus!

I'm guessing you could say the battery has failed and they will send you a brand new unit with another stylus for free!
    Silverado wrote:
    Not everyone puts such a high value on push email compared to pull. There are many users who don't really care about push vs pull.

I know -- I'm one of them. But I still wouldn't consider timed server polling better than push email. I'm not upset about 160 x 160 resolution, but I would never consider it better than 320 x 320.

In re-reading the passage, it looks as if Walt was talking about the whole phone compared to the Blackberry phone, which makes more sense.
    purpleX

Just wanted to say I support you're right to your opinion and think everyone else needs to back off from personal comments. It would be pretty boring if we were all agreeing.

That said I love what I have seen on the Treo 600. I wouldn't mind if the Treo 600 was a PPC device but my experience with PPC device are they are not as responsive as my Treo 270.

The Motorola mpx220 looks interesting but MS have various versions of their OS so this is crippled compared to a full PPC device or a PalmOS device for the matter.

It will be interesting to see head-to-head reviews when all are available.

I believe HS & pa1mone are onto a winner with the T600 device. It will sell to general public for the simple reason that it is a palm device integrated with a phone done properly.

It also has the current consumer 'must-have' features like camera phone & music playback and games. (Does anyone know if any games are bundled?)

Can't wait

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Originally posted by silverado

Purple X: I'll ask you for the fourth time: what type of handheld device(s) do you own and use?
    Purple X will not answer the question of what kind of PDA she uses. The thing that makes this so weird is that she loves talking about all this stuff but does not appear to have any real skin in the game???

Watch:

Purple X: What kind of PDA do you use???
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  20. purpleX
    What's a PDA? *blink, blink*

(ask the person who told you this question)
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast