Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. purpleX
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Purple.....

How the heck did you become such a bitter, angry, miserable, unhappy, petty, negative, and otherwise unpleasant person?

I strive to be unconventional.
    so far so good.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    While Mossberg's love for the Treo is no surprise, what did surprise me was:

(1) An included MP3 player. My understanding is that the T600 would not play MP3 out of the box, but would require a 3rd-party app to take advantage of the unit's MP3 support.
    The review on PDAFrance of the guy that went to the Orange launch in London wrote that users can download PocketTunes for free from the Handspring site after registering. I assume some (or all) of the review models already come with that software.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Over the years I have probably bought over one hundred computers. Not one of those computers ran the Windows OS. Why? Because I take pride in being an educated person and am proud of my three college degrees. I don't buy mass marketed computers that I can buy down at Wal Mart where the coffee shop girl buys her's. I don't buy what every one else buys, but what I want and fits my needs. I kind of enjoy the fact that the coffee shop girl doesn't buy my brand of computer and probably wouldn't know how to operate it. Each of the wireless carries has a phone for the coffee shop girl. Usually they give them away if she will sign an extended service agreement. Micro$soft has made a lot of money selling to the mass market and uninformed consumers. I like to think that I am smart enough to avoid that trap. Have you thought about little Apple Computer. They definitely are in a niche market, but make a very comfortable living selling in it. The coffee shop girl probably doesn't have a Macintosh computer. The main reason being because none of her friends do. That doesn't make it a bad computer. It makes it a computer for the educated and creative types. Don't forget that Apple's profit per box is far higher than that of a win/tel box. It has been predicted for years that Apple will go out of business because they are not a mass marketer and yet little old Apple keeps chugging right along selling to "their" market. I think you are under the assumption that in order for Handspring to be successful they will have to be in the mass market and you are wrong. In order for Handspring to be successful they will have to cover "their" market which is a niche market of the educated/geeks. Handspring was wildly successful with the the first generation Treo in spite of what you think. No one has yet to come along with a device that can do what their's can and now they have updated it and held the line on price. My prediction is that in "their" market the Treo 600 will be extremely successful and I intend to be one of the first in line to purchase one.

macfan

>I don't think 600 design is radical enough to break the mainstream
    >acceptance. A test of a good handheld
    >phone is easy. If you hand the device to a random girl in coffe shop, and
    >she would say...eww... I can't
    >make a phone call with it. Then it's a guarantee market failure by phone
    >market standard. It is important
    >for a handphone to 'look like' a phone, but at the same time interesting
    >enough to be a personal attire.
    >Nokia nails this. The problem now is of course how to add all those PDA
    >functionality without turning
    >the phone into a monstrosity or compromising the PDA functionality to cute
    >gimmick.
  4. purpleX
    >>>Over the years I have probably bought over one hundred computers. Not one of those computers ran the Windows OS. Why? Because I take pride in being an educated person and am proud of my three college degrees.

-All the greatest thing that happen in handheld phones are approved by girls market. Why do you think there is that useless camera or wildly colorfull faceplate? And ring tones and wall paper? There is a reason why flip phone wins over candybar. Go ask Docomo, the biggest and most profitable phone company in the planet where they get their inspirations.

No normal person will feel comfortable using a phone with thumboard. It's an automatic turn off. Pass your treo 600 to a nice stranger when he need to use a phone, and observe his/her reaction. And that my dear is the majority of phone user, not treo central poster. Nobody give a futz if you have three degree or not, treo will still be a specialized niche gadget like the rest of treo before.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    From several top problems that prevent treo becoming mainstream HS only address one of them, the form factor. From the review it is clear it has not tackle price, battery, and usability. It is still a PDA trying hard to be a phone, which is so far a guarantee niche market.

It's not clear yet, what is the shape of perfect smartphone, but shrunken PDA is a guarantee loser. It combines the worst of two world, a compromised PDA and a mediocre phone. The casualty list is getting longer: nokia 9000, XDA, p800, treo 180/270. And probably we can add XDAII, treo 600 and p810.

I don't think 600 design is radical enough to break the mainstream acceptance. A test of a good handheld phone is easy. If you hand the device to a random girl in coffe shop, and she would say...eww... I can't make a phone call with it. Then it's a guarantee market failure by phone market standard. It is important for a handphone to 'look like' a phone, but at the same time interesting enough to be a personal attire. Nokia nails this. The problem now is of course how to add all those PDA functionality without turning the phone into a monstrosity or compromising the PDA functionality to cute gimmick.

Treo 600 fails. It is not an attractive phone for the mass, nor has big enough spec to compete with other high end PDAs. Consequently the market will be very limited.
    As a newbie to this whole Treo movement, I can tell you that the form factor is the only thing that made me even notice the Treo 600. I don't consider myself a techie as I've used a palm V and now a company issued Blackberry, but that's it. The previous Treo's weren't even on my radar. They just didn't look like phones so I never even considered them.

Face it, they nailed the form factor. People like me with minimal interest in gadgets will be flocking to this device with for it's phone like appearance and size. Handspring has a winner here...
    purple,

You are the stupidest person I have ever encountered. Everyone but you wants a 600 because its f---ing cool. I've got a 300 and every time I use it in front of someone who hasn't seen a Treo, without fail, they gush over how cool it is. So SHUT UP. I'm sick of reading your winy comments every day. You have nothing constructive to add to this forum. SHUT. UP.
    Originally posted by netfreedom
    And I never thought I'd say this, but thank you Sprint for totally screwing up the Kyocera 7135 situation so I couldn't get one. Let's hope you get this right!
    <HIGHFIVE> I am so with ya on that one. Almost switched to verizon and everything.
    Originally posted by treo30064
    purple,

You are the stupidest person I have ever encountered. Everyone but you wants a 600 because its f---ing cool. I've got a 300 and every time I use it in front of someone who hasn't seen a Treo, without fail, they gush over how cool it is. So SHUT UP. I'm sick of reading your winy comments every day. You have nothing constructive to add to this forum. SHUT. UP.
    Amen brother!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    e my point about the niche market. And while I am thinking about it ......You took my statement about the college degrees the wrong way. I was not bragging, but merely pointing out that the highly educated market is a different
  10. purpleX
    Originally posted by treo30064
    purple,

Well mister genius,

Apparently the so called 'everyone' is only 162K according to Handspring, compare that to over 200million handphone users worldwide.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    e my point about the niche market. And while I am thinking about it ......You took my statement about the college degrees the wrong way. I was not bragging, but merely pointing out that the highly educated market is a different
  12. purpleX
    Originally posted by macfan
    you don't make money in educational market. (pun intended)
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    >-All the greatest thing that happen in handheld phones are approved by
    >girls market. Why do you think
    As far as fashion design goes I would agree but let's give some of the girls credit for having enough intelligence to be able to think for themselves and not just jump at the mass market.
    >there is that useless camera or wildly colorfull faceplate? And ring tones
    I am not sure I consider the camera useless. I am retired and have gone into my hobby of vintage computer collecting full time. I can see many instances where that camera could come in handy. As far as color goes, I am color blind, so makes no difference to me.
    >and wall paper? There is a reason
    >why flip phone wins over candybar. Go ask Docomo, the biggest and most
    To the best of my knowledge Docomo is not a player in the U.S. market place so why do I care about what sells in the rest of the world? I think maybe the good old U.S.A. needs to start setting the trends once again.
    >profitable phone company in
    There you go with that profit thing again, I think you have a little Gordon Gecko in you. How much profit do you have to make in order for you to consider something successful?
    >the planet where they get their inspirations.
    >
    >No normal person will feel comfortable using a phone with thumboard. It's
    I admit I am not in the main stream, nor do I want to be, or do I have any attention of being.
    >an automatic turn off. Pass your
    To what? The main stream? Good, I like having things that are out of the norm.
    >treo 600 to a nice stranger when he need to use a phone, and observe
    I am not buying my device for a stranger to use. I am buying it for only me. It is only important that I know how to use it. In fact I take delight in knowing that not everyone can use it.
    >his/her reaction. And that my dear is
    >the majority of phone user, not treo central poster. Nobody give a futz if
    You just made my point about the niche market. And while I am thinking about it ......You took my statement about the college degrees the wrong way. I was not bragging, but merely pointing out that the highly educated market is a different market place.
    >you have three degree or not, treo
    >will still be a specialized niche gadget like the rest of treo before.
    Again, you have made my point that the Treo 600 is selling into a niche market of specialized items for the educated/geek among us. I predict that it will be very successful in this type of market.

macfan
    purple,

Your mother.

Knowing that the 600 will be owned by only a small number of users makes me HAPPY! It will be an elite group of people who know what their talking about. Look, I'm sorry you made a mistake and got a PPC, really I am. I know you really want a 600 but you're way too embarrased so you're trying to put together this self-fullfilling prophesy to try and justify you're incredible error. Too bad, it won't happen. You. Are. So. Stupid.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by purpleX

I strive to be unconventional.
    so far so good.
    In other words, you just admitted to being a troll.
  16. purpleX
    Originally posted by macfan

Again, you have made my point that the Treo 600 is selling into a niche market of specialized items for the educated/geek among us. I predict that it will be very successful in this type of market.

Handspring has been dabbling with this nich market in the past year, and they are not making any money. If it is going to be'very successfull', nobody is saying it right now beside you. (ie. it's a fantasy. The number doesn't add up)
    purple, you suck. If you want to be unconventional, try spanking it with your left hand once in a while. Get off these boards.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Purple X this is going to be my last exchange with you because my mother taught me a long time ago that it is useless to get into an argument with an unarmed opponent. Maybe I am the one with the fantasy of the Treo being successful although I don't recall reading one review that was as totally negative as you are. Could you support your argument of what a failure the Treo 600 is going to be by showing me a link to one commentator who will support you?

macfan
  19. purpleX
    (quote macfan)

Everybody can buy positive review. The treo has been receving positive review since its inception, it might even win several awards...(didn't it win best of comdex?)

but those review doesn't mean jack if the gadget doesn't sell. Treo 180 was a flop even with numerous positive reviews. Mossberg was gushier even.

What brings me to believe treo 600 will be just the same? Well treo has not been able to hit it big. The market has been steady really, and very samll too, at about 40-50K/Q. Treo 600 will also be the same, since it doesn't offers any breakthrough features that will appeal to bigger market.

With all your 3 degress, surely you can try to convince me with better figures and concrete examples why treo 600 will be far more popular than previous treo.
    Folks,

PurpleX is a troll. Responding to his comments will just get him more aroused. Just put him on your ignore list. Anything else just encourages him post and keep him talking...which is what he wants to do. Attacking him just sinks the board level down lower and wastest up more space. It's also in poor taste.
    Last edited by Treo_Ken; 09/18/2003 at 02:18 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast