Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I put a comparison on my web site ( http://www.wireless-doc.com/hh_comparison.htm )to show the "convergence" among handhelds/smartphones, both present and future.
    Last edited by wireless-doc; 09/17/2003 at 03:25 PM.
    I think that pic you have of the Treo600 in relation to the h4350 is misleading. The h4350 is much larger and longer than the Treo600:

h4350: 5.5 inches X 2.9 inches x 0.6 inches
    Treo60: 4.41 inches X 2.36 inches X 0.87 inches

However, I get your point that thumbboards w/portrait screens are becoming standard.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    For me the bottom line is if the device doesn't have an integrated phone, it's no deal. I dare say 99.9% of us carry a mobile phone, so adding another device increases the gadget count by 100%. Out of the question for me.

And on a related note, I really don't want a device who's goal is to rival my laptop (like the new Sony UX-50). In truth, I'll never be as productive on a PDA as I am on my laptop (which goes with me just about everywhere). I want a streamlined phone with comfortable data entry, essential PDA functions, and expandability to compliment my laptop. The Treo 600 fits the bill.
    go.digital
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I think that pic you have of the Treo600 in relation to the h4350 is misleading. The h4350 is much larger and longer than the Treo600:

h4350: 5.5 inches X 2.9 inches x 0.6 inches
    Treo60: 4.41 inches X 2.36 inches X 0.87 inches

However, I get your point that thumbboards w/portrait screens are becoming standard.
    Well spotted. I was too lazy to futz with the sizes until your suggestion. They're now scaled correctly. It's now clear which one will fit into your pocket.

http://www.wireless-doc.com/hh_comparison.htm
  5. purpleX
    Originally posted by dulan
    For me the bottom line is if the device doesn't have an integrated phone, it's no deal. I dare say 99.9% of us carry a mobile phone, so adding another device increases the gadget count by 100%. Out of the question for me.

TI WANDA, the thing that makes every palmie shudder upon reading it. It has WiFi/BT/Phone, on top of compelte PPC functionality. It will be out early next year.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/apps/catalo...conceptdesign2

and of course there is the new XDA,
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2003/09/..._xda_ii_01.jpg
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4066,2.html

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4066.html

And the p810
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4076.html
    Originally posted by purpleX

TI WANDA, the thing that makes every palmie shudder upon reading it. It has WiFi/BT/Phone, on top of compelte PPC functionality. It will be out early next year.
    Ska, I'm still waiting to see who's make this thing? HP? The h4350 definitely isn't it? Motorola? Nah...How about Dell? Oh, but we do know who's gonna make the gms module. LOL! Also, I see you've started saying Wanda won't arrive until next year now. I wonder if you're prediction will be as accurate as SPV2 by October...

Anyway, I've said all along the Wanda is impressive. But I'm not going to wait 6 months for this thing. But if HS doesn't come out with a 320x320 rez screenie by then either...eh, I might just grab one of these afterall...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7. purpleX
    SPV2 is still slated for October, nobody else is predicting it will not go on sale this holiday season.

WANDA? Since it has not received FCC approval by now, It's pretty save it won't go out by christmas. Unless they have some unusual schedule. But then again the h41/4355 isn't on FCC listing yet either.

like I say, for PPC this holiday season will primarily be about ultra cheap and dual wireless. Next year is when everything turns funky. (e800 is a surprised really)

POS obviously never will catch up in hardware department. The incoming ultra low end doesn't have audio capability, and the mid range has limited wireless options. The high end doesn't offer anything compelling.

POS barely survives post organizer era, and it will die in convergence era. The OS stinks and the hardware doesn't evolve fast enough.

UX50 and treo 600 are the prime example. One is held down by antiquated OS, and the other are souped up organizer phone. They both could have been impressive a year ago, but not now.

PS. should give that thumboard a rest already. It didn't save treo 90 or bring treo phones out of the obscurity. It won't help treo 600 either.
    to underestimate the thumboard...it is was makes the wireless device with email and I'm a productive tool rather than a kludgy novelty.

the treo 90 was overpriced, without wireless, lacked a compelling reason (most got by by just syncing for data input, or were happy with graffiti).

in the connected world, it's different. the treo 600 will be huge, prompting more devices and more thumboards.
  9. purpleX
    what makes you think treo 600 is not overpriced, lack wireless and lack compelling applications?

In connected world, treo 600 is just an organizer phone, exactly the same as previous money losing treo. And apparently Handspring doesn't learn that lesson. It just keeps doing the samething over and over again. Slap Palm OS, something which is design for an organizer, on top of a phone and pray hard some sucker will buy it.

HS didn't even bother cultivating business apps such as Fax or voice recording.

POS obviously never will catch up in hardware department. The incoming ultra low end doesn't have audio capability, and the mid range has limited wireless options. The high end doesn't offer anything compelling.
    Who said the T|E won't have an audio port?! Who the hell knows what Sony was thinking...

POS barely survives post organizer era, and it will die in convergence era. The OS stinks and the hardware doesn't evolve fast enough.

UX50 and treo 600 are the prime example. One is held down by antiquated OS, and the other are souped up organizer phone. They both could have been impressive a year ago, but not now.

PS. should give that thumboard a rest already. It didn't save treo 90 or bring treo phones out of the obscurity. It won't help treo 600 either.
    See now you're getting all emotional again Ska. PPC aspect ratio been stuck as 240x320 for eons and all of a sudden b/c e800 is leaked it ahead in screen rez? LOL! That's a good one. There is no real hardware gap between PPC and PalmOS anymore. They both support same class of proc these days so please dont' use that 2yr old arguement anymore. Seriously, you need new material. The difference is going to be between the popularity and flexibilty of the OS. The truth is the PPC crowd finally got a major OEM to support thumbboard 2 yrs afer it first appeared on PalmOS and Linux pda and PPC fanboys proclaim its some kind of new innovation! Sheesh! And the integration of thumbbaord is lame as could be. Why not integrate flip & swivel like Sony of slider like Zaurus or PalmOne? There's really no innovation going on in PPC camp. Everything is soooooo boring and dull, no excitement, all clones. Heck even M$ smartphones look dull.
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/18/2003 at 12:29 AM.

C'mon purple/ska/guesswho -

When you will get it in your head that the folks on this board WANT a thumbboard - ? We want that which you detest and ridicule as useless and soon to be replaced by some inane non-tactile feedback crazy ltr combo T-9 wanna be. We WANT the thumbboard. All the WANDA and XDA - they matter not to us. That form factor has no more appeal to me (and to many on this forum) than do the current MS phone offerings. It's not that we hate those, or have some pathetic love for our Treos - we just want a thumbboard, based on how WE use the device.

So - you may hate it, and you may mock, but dang it - we use and therefore require our thumbboards, and we tire of your incessant posts extolling the virtues of what YOU are trying to foist upon us here. Seriously - it's getting tiresome. Why don't you take your Wanda-fish and go play in a more-friendly sandbox. Spare us any more of you.
  12. purpleX
    really? i thought the people in this board was terrified when Handspring abandoned grafitti and decide to go all thumboard.

I got news for you, thumboard ain't PDA input holy grail.

I don't think anyone has said it is. It is, in the opinion of most people here, the best out there today.
    thanks - ska, you made my point. you said the tboard isn't the Holy Grail for PDA input. I do agree. For the PDA users out there, HWR is fine. For communication-centric devices like the Blackberry, two-way pagers, Treo, T|C - et al - the tboard is essential. Different users, different needs.
    (and of course, I posted this via my Treo).
    So thanks for making my point.
    really? i thought the people in this board was terrified when Handspring abandoned grafitti and decide to go all thumboard.

Lets get back to the topic here of the evolutionary convergence towards thumbboards with respect to wireless handhelds. Ska it quite simple: what is most convenient for one handed data input on a wireless device? I don't want to have to use two hands and pull out a stylus, I don't want carry an extra accessory, I want to be able to do it while standing in line somewhere. So what are the options: thumbboard, numeric keypad, virtual keypad, or some BS like JakeE retinal control. That's it. You're beloved Tengo, while cool, doens't interest b/c again I have use two hands, thus no go. Virtual keypad? Eh, might be nice b/c of more screen realestate but there's no tactile feedback and it smudges the screen. Numeric keypad? UGH, no thanks I'm not a fan of T9, thank you very much. So that leaves you with a thumbboard. Is it the IDEAL option? No. Is it the BEST option? Yes. I agree it's not ideal b/c I would still love to have a nice rectangular screen, but as of now there aren't any good alternatives out there that don't turn the handheld into a long bannana (i.e G1000, h4350). I would love to see some innovative designs as I mentioned here, but they don't exist yet. So the Treo it is for now...or the UX if I go two device again...

16. purpleX
    are you done yet? You are getting way predictable gfunk. You disappoint me. check your detail again before I diced that post.
    We already know what is... the automatic mind reader.
    are you done yet? You are getting way predictable gfunk. You disappoint me. check your detail again before I diced that post.
    i.e. You can't think of any ways to slam that post?
  19.    #19  
    "Convergent evolution refers to the process whereby unrelated or distantly related species become very similar in looks and habits through adapting to similar environments or requirements."

This is the definition of the biological term. You have to give credit to Hawkins, et. al. for coming up with the design that would eventually become accepted (by some) as the optimum solution.
    Last edited by wireless-doc; 09/18/2003 at 12:49 AM.
    For one thing, the wanda looks obtuse to me, very uncomfortable to hand in my hand. Also, I feal that the thumb keyboard is the best soulution availible. I can reach very fast speeds on it, comparable to a full-size kreyboard. Also, I believe that it was you that was talking a while back about Hanspring's bad timing. You think that your precious Wanda will still be cutting-edge in 6 months? Also, it is a matter of taste: if you prefer an os that works well, rarely crashes, and even then only when a piece of software causes it to, or PPC that is hard to use and crashes frequently. Also, what was that that you said about UX50 and the Treo600 os? That is was outdated? Compared to what? The UX50 is Sony's newest andhelp. The os defineitly isn't oudated. Also you're talking about palms having inferior hardware? Have you seen the specs for sony's NZ90? Show me a PPC that has a built-in 2mp camera with a flash?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast