1.    #1  
    Am I the only one that noticed that the Orange version of the 600 comes with 24MB versus the earlier spec'd 32MB? What up with that?
    Doug
    Where did you read that??
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  3.    #3  
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/4074.html

Third paragraph, last sentence.
    Doug
    It comes with 32MB, of which 24 is available to the user. The remainder is filled of carrier-specific software.
    Originally posted by skfny
    It comes with 32MB, of which 24 is available to the user. The remainder is filled of carrier-specific software.
    Applications expand to fill the space available to put them in. After less than two years, the 16m of my 270, ample when I moved from my Palm V/Omnisky, is now a real barrier. I have been looking forward to 32m with some slack from putting photos and other graphic files on the SD card.

Issue, of course, is whether or not the consumer has any control over that software at all. Failing that, does the software replace other software that I would want to have in my suite. For example, I have three browsers on my 270, in part because some browsers render some pages better than others. Suppose that Blazer is fixed in the carrier area; that is 131K that does not come out of my 24M.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by fmertz; 09/17/2003 at 08:35 AM.
    Doug
    exchangeable Lithium Ion battery
    is it really?
    Originally posted by tomhank
    exchangeable Lithium Ion battery
    is it really?
    We can only hope, but I doubt it. This is a big concern for me, as I've had a 180 and two 270s replaced due to bad batteries.
    Originally posted by tommygreen

We can only hope, but I doubt it. This is a big concern for me, as I've had a 180 and two 270s replaced due to bad batteries.
    it's come from here:
    Measuring 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches (11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm) and weighing in at 5.9 ounces (168 grams), the Treo 600 will be powered by a rechargeable, exchangeable Lithium Ion battery which according to Handspring will offer up to 6 hours of talk time and up to 10 days of standby time. To connect and synchronize to PCs, the Treo 600 comes bundled with a USB HotSync cable.
    Originally posted by tomhank

it's come from here:
    Measuring 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches (11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm) and weighing in at 5.9 ounces (168 grams), the Treo 600 will be powered by a rechargeable, exchangeable Lithium Ion battery which according to Handspring will offer up to 6 hours of talk time and up to 10 days of standby time. To connect and synchronize to PCs, the Treo 600 comes bundled with a USB HotSync cable.
    I saw that, and it is encouraging, but this is the only place we have seen any mention of a replaceable battery. My guess is this was an honest mistake by the author of the article. We haven't seen any pics with a replaceable battery.
    I think you're right,it's impossible.
    Originally posted by tommygreen

I saw that, and it is encouraging, but this is the only place we have seen any mention of a replaceable battery. My guess is this was an honest mistake by the author of the article. We haven't seen any pics with a replaceable battery.
    Replaceable and exchangeable are not synonymous. The former suggests to me that I can do it myself while the latter suggests that one can send it in to the vendor to have it done.
    Originally posted by whmurray

Replaceable and exchangeable are not synonymous. The former suggests to me that I can do it myself while the latter suggests that one can send it in to the vendor to have it done.
    Interesting; I read it exactly the opposite way. Exchangeable, to me, suggests that I can swap batteries, back and forth. Replaceable suggests that when one battery goes bad, the unit can be opened (possibly by a vendor or techie), the new battery can get put into it, and the old one gets tossed, err, I mean recycled.

I think the difference in our interpretation of "exchange" has to do with our assumption of the point of exchange. In your definition, the point of exchange is the vendor, whereas, in my version, I consider the phone itself to be the point of exchange.

Of course, the Treo 600 battery will be replaceable (by my definition of the word), but replacing it would almost certainly void any warranty (it should not (fingers crossed) need to be replaced within the warranty period, anyway), and getting a proper replacement battery might prove difficult.

----------
    All this talk of semantics is making me hungry.
  14.    #14  
    It is clear from the photos taken during the Orange launch that there is no way for the end user to exchange/replace the bettery. One picture of the back of an Orange 600 is exaclty as we have seen in other flip side photos of the 600.
    Doug