1.    #1  
    I am going to add my girlfriend to my Sprint account using their add-a-phone second line service ($10 for the line, $5 for all-you-can-eat pcs to pcs calling).
    Right now they are running a promotion where you get $100 off a new phone when you add a second line. So, assuming this promotion is still around in 3 weeks... I'll give her my treo 300 and get $100 off the treo 600.

If any of you have a need for a second line, perhaps this is the way to go.
    What a gentlemen of you!

But what's gonna happen when she starts getting jealous of your Treo 600???

If you were a real gentlemen, you would get her as far away from Sprint as you could.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  3.    #3  
    well, after using ATT and TMobile, I am very happy with Sprint's phone service and customer service. The Sprint store I went to in Baltimore had a great staff and I get great service from *2, also. Hopefully I can find a good Sprint store here in Chicago.

Maybe I am lucky? I have no beef with Sprint.
    Originally posted by chewbacca nine
    well, after using ATT and TMobile, I am very happy with Sprint's phone service and customer service. The Sprint store I went to in Baltimore had a great staff and I get great service from *2, also. Hopefully I can find a good Sprint store here in Chicago.

Maybe I am lucky? I have no beef with Sprint.
    Me neither, Chewy, and I've used several Chicago-suburb stores around my area. In fact, I've always been fairly pleased with their service; they've helped with any issues I've had, and they don't put you on hold for tech support for 20+ minutes (happens to my wife with AT&T all the time).

Wherabouts are you in the Chicago area? I might suggest a decent store or two...
    Man are you daft? Get her away from Sprint? Why? So he can put her on AT+T's inferior GSM network? If you want data Sprint is the way to go. Not to mention that their price for unlimited data is by far the best on the market. However I digress. This post was not about arguing who has the better network. Besides, is it an argument when the outcome is a foregone conclusion? Anyway, that is indeed one way to get the "New Customer" price. Good job!
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    Man are you daft? Get her away from Sprint? Why? So he can put her on AT+T's inferior GSM network? If you want data Sprint is the way to go. Not to mention that their price for unlimited data is by far the best on the market...
    Ummmmm, isn't T-Mobile only $10 a month to Sprint's $15 a month for unlimited data? Granted, I think Sprint's faster data network is worth the money, but you can't go around saying that they've got the best data prices around...
    Actally, it's the other way around.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Ok, in all fairness, I agree that service and satisfaction greatly depends on your coverage area. I've been on Sprint in San Francisco now for about 2 years and the number of dropped calls I get is ridiculous! Also, I am not happy at all with their customer service. It's absolutely horrible here. I've tried to be patient and give them a chance, but the arrival of the Treo 600 GSM is my golden cue to make a move to greener pastures (in THIS particular coverage pasture).

Even according to Consumer Reports recent survey of thousands of REAL customers in 6 major metropolitan areas in the U.S., Sprint consistently got the LOWEST scores in all tests in all areas, including customer service. Verizon scored the highest in most areas. You own experience, of course, may vary, and congratulations if it does , but the people have spoken and Sprint is not the best.

Add the convenience of a GSM SIM card that you can pop out and put into another GSM phone and use right away, and I will take a GSM provider anyday! Battery life for GSM phones is also longer due to differences in data transfer.

Here are some interesting quotes from other forums:

Well, a lot there is actually disputable. The best technology can be debated and is always being debated! CDMA vs. GSM is a battle that is raging on and on, and even iDEN can state some superior characteristics. CDMA by far offers better data speed, but GSM has the better sound quality, but a lot is subjective anyway. I believe that T-Mobile does have the best deals for plans, but that isn't any good if you live in an area with no GSM coverage! Great GSM coverage is subjective, since what does the word "great" entail. To me, T-Mobile offers the most GSM coverage in the USA, but "great" to me means coverage virtually everywhere, which T-Mobile does NOT offer. Cingular stays around because people stick with them since they don't want to change phone numbers I think. Sprint is the ghetto charrier...enough said.
    I work for a company that sells just about every company and I can tell you that Sprint is pretty much the last alternative that we offer to customers. I mean, its right there on paper that there rate plans suck - $45 for 500?? thats ridiculous!! The only reason they are still around is cause they offer service to any schmuk with horrible credit..doesn't matter, they approve anyone! If a customer comes back with a crazy deposit with tmobile, att, or verizon.. (and there's a reason why these companies are weary!!) Sprint will let 'em in with a mere $125 down! Our last alternative for sure
    Best of luck with whatever carrier you decide to use! I'm going with T-Mobile!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  9.    #9  
    Well I guess my thread was completely highjacked...

5p|2i|\|+ |2uL3ZZZZZZ
    Originally posted by mwylde
    Actally, it's the other way around.
    Were you responding to my comment, MWylde, or someone else's? Because a quick look at both companies websites can show that T-Mobile is indeed $10 a month vs. Sprint's $15, in regards to unlimited data!
    NocTurnerV

Maybe T-Mobile charges $10/month in your area for unlimited data, but in the NYC area it's $19.99. Sprint charges $15/month for unlimited Vision now (for most phones), though many of us got it (and still have it) for $10/month.
    I think you guys are getting confused over which unlimited T-mobile data plan you're comparing.

There's a $19.99/month unlimited data plan for connecting PC's/laptops/PDA's to the internet.

And there's a $9.99/month unlimited T-Zones Pro data plan for WAP access for cell phones.

BUT, there is a way to connect a cell to a PC/Laptop/PDA for internet browsing using the $9.99 unlimited T-Zones Pro plan
    Stephman,

Thanks for pointing this out. I believe that the $19.99/month plan is the only one relevant to the Treo, at least if you want to retrieve e-mail and surf the web on the device (other than with a WAP browser). I agree that if we were talking about another phone and the usage was as a "modem," then the $9.99/month plan might be helpful.
    Originally posted by chewbacca nine

Right now they are running a promotion where you get $100 off a new phone when you add a second line. So, assuming this promotion is still around in 3 weeks... I'll give her my treo 300 and get $100 off the treo 600.

If any of you have a need for a second line, perhaps this is the way to go.
    Is this promo geography-specific? My fiancee is a Sprint customer, so I'd love to take advantage of it, but can't find the specifics on sprintpcs.com

Thanks!
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    Stephman,

Thanks for pointing this out. I believe that the $19.99/month plan is the only one relevant to the Treo, at least if you want to retrieve e-mail and surf the web on the device (other than with a WAP browser). I agree that if we were talking about another phone and the usage was as a "modem," then the $9.99/month plan might be helpful.
    No problem.
    But I believe with the right settings, you maybe able to do all that with the Treo 600 using the $9.99 unlimited T-Zones Pro plan from T-Mobile.
    I recently signed up for $9.99 plan with T-Mobile to use on my Nokia 3650.
    After searching howardforums for the proper settings, I was able to connect my 3650 to a coworkers laptop via USB Bluetooth dongle. We made the proper changes on his laptop and was able to surf the web on his laptop through the GPRS connection on my 3650.

But it all boils down to we won't REALLY know if it's possible for Treo 600 web sufer with $9.99 T-mobile plan until we have a Treo 600 to test it with
    .....arghh, I hate waiting!
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by satyric

Is this promo geography-specific? My fiancee is a Sprint customer, so I'd love to take advantage of it, but can't find the specifics on sprintpcs.com

Thanks!
    I have no Idea. I am in Chicago, but I dialed *2 to ask about adding a phone. The friendly Sprint lady told me the pricing and then mentioned the $100 off a second phone. I asked when the date was for the promotion to expire and she said she did not know. Gice them a call and see if it works out.
    I recall the T-mo had a $10 plan to connect Sidekick (and who knows what else) to GPRS but that it did not work for the 270. Perhaps it is this plan. I thought the $20 plan was the one that worked for the 270. When you add the plans up with the minimum minutes it comes out about the same assuming the $20:

T-mo: 300 anytime min (weekends free) is $30 + unlimited GPRS $20 = $50 /mo

Sprint: 300 anytime mins (+ 1000 nightime/weekend mins) is $35 + unlimited data $15 = $50 /mo.

Comes down to choosing tradeoffs. Sprint has faster data speeds (~30 %) but shorter talk time (4-5 hrs vs. 6-7) and does not have true SMS (but reportedly will later in the year).
    I read that another way to save $100 from Sprint is to sign up for a two year contract instead of one. Anyone think it's worth it?