Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am on a GSM network in Northern California and I do not want to switch over to CDMA. I really don’t want a silver Treo, I want a black one. For some bizarre reason, which I am certain is beyond me; the European Orange GSM network phone is the darker color.

I was thinking I could maybe just call Europe and order an Orange Treo 600 but I am wondering if you will be able to buy an unlocked Orange phone without European service?

Anyone have any ideas?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    I hear spray paint works wonders.

TheHandlessKing"E"
    Latest moBlog shot:
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by TheHandlessKing

TheHandlessKing"E"
    I don’t know why I did not think of that!

Now that you have opened up a virtual universe of ideas…

…I know! I’ll paint my Treo 600 Hot Pink…
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by TheHandlessKing

TheHandlessKing"E"
    Yes but removing the case to do so would void the warranty. After all the problems with the early Treo 300s, I wouldn't risk being without a warranty on a new 600.
    We're 100% sure the black one is CDMA? I guess it looks that way. Thank God I'm with Sprint! You know I have never understood this silver rubbish! You're just going to put a black case on it anyway! And does anyone ever remember getting a really BAD scratch on their BLACK startac? No, but that stupid Timeport looked like it had been through Afghanistan and back a week after you left the store! As does my 300. Viva la CDMA! Viva la Sprint! And VIVA LA BLACK TREO600!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    We're 100% sure the black one is CDMA? I guess it looks that way. Thank God I'm with Sprint! You know I have never understood this silver rubbish! You're just going to put a black case on it anyway! And does anyone ever remember getting a really BAD scratch on their BLACK startac? No, but that stupid Timeport looked like it had been through Afghanistan and back a week after you left the store! As does my 300. Viva la CDMA! Viva la Sprint! And VIVA LA BLACK TREO600!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree!!!

There are many reasons why black makes much more sense:

1. It makes the image pop off the screen with a black frame.
    2. It makes the Treo 600 look smaller.
    3. Durability
    4. Black looks much more professional and serious
    5. I intend to get a car kit for my Treo 600. Currently I have a car kit for a black portable Nokia and it looks invisible. If I forgot it in the car nobody would try to steal it because it blends in to the dash so well. If I leave a bright silver Treo in the car by mistake it sticks out like a sore thumb.

7.    #7  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Yes but removing the case to do so would void the warranty. After all the problems with the early Treo 300s, I wouldn't risk being without a warranty on a new 600.

letsgoflyers81

All I can say is I fully dig your avatar.

Jake

Originally posted by JakeE

letsgoflyers81

All I can say is I fully dig your avatar.

Jake
    Thanks.
    Yeah, the black one is cool, but I don't think the silver one is that shabby either. I actually like the blue dialpad keys on the silver one. Hopefully, the silver color is molded in the material instead of being painted on. But as long as it's GSM, I'll be happy.

I will just hate it if they release a brand new and improved Treo 600 in February 2004 with everything we've been dreaming of.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by JakeE
    I am on a GSM network in Northern California and I do not want to switch over to CDMA. I really don’t want a silver Treo, I want a black one. For some bizarre reason, which I am certain is beyond me; the European Orange GSM network phone is the darker color.

I was thinking I could maybe just call Europe and order an Orange Treo 600 but I am wondering if you will be able to buy an unlocked Orange phone without European service?

Anyone have any ideas?

Jake
    aren't you the one who had the big meeting and interview with Jeff Hawkins? seems like we should be asking YOU these questions.
    Originally posted by imageone

aren't you the one who had the big meeting and interview with Jeff Hawkins? seems like we should be asking YOU these questions.
    I doubt Jeff Hawkins has any extensive knowledge on Orange's policies on unlocking phones. He knows about the Treo and perhaps the availability of it for carriers.

I don't believe Jake ever said he was privy to the ins-and-outs of the Treo 600 design process, so it's rather pointless to make sarcastic remarks of this nature. I must admit, I'm rather sick of seeing him badgered for doing little more than meeting with Jeff Hawkins, having a misunderstanding about the nature of said meeting, and the moving on to greener pastures. He doesn't claim to be a Treo insider; give him a break, already.

It's somewhat ridiculous...
    i would have to go with handless king....if its a dire need paint it...but itll void the warranty...personally it doesnt matter...either is great for me...but that may be because i am in an enviroment where i can be garunteed ppl cant lift it cuz a. its in my pocket and b. theres no possible way ppl can bump into me cuz theres sooo much room...but ya black would not only be sleek but harder to spot at times to (i.e car, night, dark room :-D)
    Icy
    300 w/ Sprint
    will be
    600 w/ Sprint
    I like the metalic silver color one myself. It jsut seems bit more bling bling if ya know what I mean!

Btw, isn't kinda ironic that a few weeks after tongue suckin Brittney on national TV that all of a sudden Modonna is suddenly an expert on children's books and Kabala?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

I don't believe Jake ever said he was privy to the ins-and-outs of the Treo 600 design process, so it's rather pointless to make sarcastic remarks of this nature. I must admit, I'm rather sick of seeing him badgered for doing little more than meeting with Jeff Hawkins, having a misunderstanding about the nature of said meeting, and the moving on to greener pastures. He doesn't claim to be a Treo insider; give him a break, already.

It's somewhat ridiculous...

lighten up a little NocTurnerV before you bust a blood vessel or something. it's just a little friendly humor. Hey it's not like I'm PurpleX here.
    I don't understand why Handspring couldn't make both versions of the phone in both colors. That way it would give us something to do other than wish for the other color. The grass is always greener..... Of course, this makes too much sense to occur. They could make a certain amount and see which color people prefer. Maybe everyone likes black or silver after holding both.(or not)

just a thought
    AMEN!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle

lighten up a little NocTurnerV before you bust a blood vessel or something. it's just a little friendly humor. Hey it's not like I'm PurpleX here.
    Hey, I'm not wound too tight or anything, it just seems like everyone's taking a crack at Jake with every chance they get, that's all. Maybe I read too much into it. At any rate, I don't want to turn the thread into something other than it is, so I'll leave it be...I just get annoyed when people get knocked on for no genuinely good reason, that's all.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    No NocTurnerV, your not reading too much into it. There is a history in these forums and inflection is near impossible in a text message and we all know it. I agree, lay off and keep to the point. Down deep we are all just treo users with different experiences..or want to be. We will be more productive that way.

I was hoping for black and will stay with GSM. A black leather case maybe to hide the silver??? I dont like to add anything to the size of the device if I an help it. That black paint will probably scratch right off. Black ink coating maybe? I have heard of a plastic bonding paint that may be available. I have also seen some paint for plastic auto parts that need to be restored. If a enthusiast would use it on his classic, it just might work for the treo.Hey maybe a small black border of some type material (decal??) around the screen to solve color in black frame issue.

Just thinking aloud.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ... got it.

Just saw a thread on a 600 for parts on ebay. Turned out to be a false ad, but got me thinking. If a spare face cover from the black CDMA version could be obtained, is it possible to retrofit on the GSM version...Hmmm. Would anyone know if this is possible?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast