1.    #1  
    Been lurking for a while. Check this out...

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4074.html
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2003/09/...reo_600_02.jpg

Orange launches its first Palm OS signature device as Handspring's Treo 600 is being readied for availability in the United Kingdom, France and Switzerland.

Short on the heels of announcing the introduction of Motorola's MPx200 on the Orange network, the pan-European carrier unveils its first Palm OS signature device. To feature an Orange branded experience, Handspring's Treo 600 wireless handheld boasts Palm OS 5.2, an integrated voice and data experience and the integrated QWERTY thumbboard which has become the trademark of the Treo series.

The Treo 600 is the most advanced Palm OS-based wireless handheld to date, and Orange subscribers will get their hands on it first

Being readied for availability in the United Kingdom, France and Switzerland, the Treo 600 is the most advanced wireless handheld to arrive yet based on the Palm OS operating system. The unit combines quad-band GSM/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz connectivity with Palm OS 5.2 and an integrated digital camera with VGA (0,3 megapixel) resolution. A 16-bit TFT colour display offers a resolution of 160 x 160 pixels, and doubles as a viewfinder.

The trademark QWERTY thumbboard of Handspring's Treo series is also found on the 600, although this has been tweaked from earlier models and, according to Handspring, now offers improved ergonomics and performance. Also, an SDIO capable SD/MMC Card expansion slot is included, and a 144 MHz ARM processor along with 24 MB of user-available on-board memory powers the unit.

Orange will provide software with the Treo 600 which enables customers to access e-mail and the Internet straight out of the box, as well as download and view Word and Excel e-mail attachments. Additionally, the carrier is also including Orange Backup and Orange Update software, which respectively enables users to back up PIM information to a secure server on the Orange network and download and install device updates and 3rd party software.

Other features of the Treo 600 include a backlight for its thumbboard; speakerhone capability; vibrating alert; polyphonic ring tones and compatability with stero headsets. MMS support is also included, as is the proxy-based Blazer web browser supports several web standards such as HTML 4.0, XHTML Basic and Mobile Profile, WML 1.3, cHTML and JavaScript.

Measuring 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches (11.2 x 6.0 x 2.2 cm) and weighing in at 5.9 ounces (168 grams), the Treo 600 will be powered by a rechargeable, exchangeable Lithium Ion battery which according to Handspring will offer up to 6 hours of talk time and up to 10 days of standby time. To connect and synchronize to PCs, the Treo 600 comes bundled with a USB HotSync cable.

The Treo 600 will be available to Orange customers in the UK, France and Switzerland during October. Respectively, the recommended retail price of the Treo 600 is 299.99 GBP, 399-459 EUR (dependant on plan) and 499-679 CHF (dependant on plan).
    Is the treo 600 triband???or quad-band???
    Orange say's
    :The unit combines quad-band GSM/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz:
    I would love to have 850Mhz

Marc-Andre
    Originally posted by prospects
    Is the treo 600 triband???or quad-band???
    Orange say's
    :The unit combines quad-band GSM/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz:

Marc-Andre
    It is quad band. This was the information from the very beginning.
    the Treo 600 will be powered by a rechargeable, exchangeable Lithium Ion battery
    Does anybody know what this means? Simple typo? I thought the battery was internal only...
    Originally posted by grim02

Does anybody know what this means? Simple typo? I thought the battery was internal only...
    It means Jorgen screwed up the article! The Treo600 battery is defintely not exchangeable. They're a few mistakes in that article it seems...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by prospects
    I was wandering for a long time what's up with that band. Why and where do you need 850 MHz?

a very curious
    andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Originally posted by treopolis

I was wandering for a long time what's up with that band. Why and where do you need 850 MHz?

a very curious
    andreas
    850Mhz is the additional spectrum that has been alloted in the US for GSM services. I am not sure if any network is using 850Mhz as of yet, but I am sure it will be in use pretty soon if not already.
    Buy why do we need a new 850 band? Are we running out of bandwidth? Does it have to do with conversion from another pre-existing 850 band protocol (TDMA, CDMA etc.) to GSM?
    Originally posted by Sanjay

850Mhz is the additional spectrum that has been alloted in the US for GSM services. I am not sure if any network is using 850Mhz as of yet, but I am sure it will be in use pretty soon if not already.
    Cingular is using 850Mhz GSM here in Connecticut.
    I think AT&T is using 850 here as well.
    How very bizarro - neither Handspring nor Palm have any PRPRPR $out$ $about$ $the$ &$quot$;$launch$&$quot$; $of$ $the$ $TREO$ $600$.

Their PRPRPR $departments$ $can$'$t$ $be$ $THAT$ $bad$, $can$ $they$?
    On the US Handspring site go to International, then United Kingdom. There is a link there announcing the release in Europe.
    Zane
    850 is being used by Rogers/ATT in Canada. I've been told that it is a less congested frequency and has better penetration into buildings.
    Yea Rogers At&T in Canada 850 is a lot better my wife has a nokia that use this frequency and she goes lot further with the signal

Marc-Andre
    The PRPRPR $is$ $up$ $on$ $the$ $us$ $site$ $too$.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff