Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    is anyone currently using a Palm OS 5 device and syncing with a Mac? I'm wondering if after all this waiting I'll find out that it's still not compatible yet. This is what happened with the first Treo. At least it was compatible with the older Palm Desktop, and then later was updated to work with the newer version.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    It should be fully compatible. Other Palm OS 5 devices sync with the mac and therefore the treo should as well.
    Palm OS 5 is one thing, but the treo 270 USB hotsync issue whereby large databases would cause a loss of connection during hotsync (example: epocrates updating) over USB apparently because of non-standard USB connectivity built into the 270, and handspring has still not brought out a version of Palm Desktop 4.1 for macs and treos that I hoped would resolve this problem. The question is, will the treo 600 have this same problem? Will handspring bring out a version of palm desktop 4.1 for the mac and treo 600, or will this be unnecesssary? If necessary, will we have to wait forever for it?
    Wow. Sausilito? I'm in Corte Madera. That's kind of eery.

I guess I don't have any big DB files, I've never had a problem with the USB syncing.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Just sync'd a Tungsten T2 (OS 5>) with a G4 (os/x 10.2.6) with no problems whatsoever. What's all the fuss about ??!!

T600 should be no problem either!

Ravi
    Howd you get epocrates? I thought they discontinued their mac version.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Just sync'd a Tungsten T2 (OS 5> ) with a G4 (os/x 10.2.6) with no problems whatsoever. What's all the fuss about ??!!
    I'm guessing that you never had a 1G Treo, and that you didn't read my posting! The first Treo came out, but to sync with a Mac you had to go back to a previous version of Palm Desktop, then they finally put out a Handspring version of the newer Palm Desktop that you could sync with. I'm just hoping that's not the case this time!
    Does anybody know will I be able to use the Treo 600 with Mac OS9 or will I have to upgrade to OSX?

many thanks
    I uses a Palm 515 and a Mac-PB G3 Lombard. For Hotsync (4,1) I use the IrDa Connection. Wants to function also with the new T600? If not, I have a problem, because my PB still no USB has. Point someone an answer? I hope that it works with Palm OS 5, because I get next week my Treo.

Thank you
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I uses a Palm 515 and a Mac-PB G3 Lombard. For Hotsync (4,1) I use the IrDa Connection. Wants to function also with the new T600? If not, I have a problem, because my PB still no USB has. Point someone an answer? I hope that it works with Palm OS 5, because I get next week my Treo.
    Hmm...your Lombard should have two usb ports on the back. are you saying that the usb ports do not work? if so, you could get a PCMCIA card that has USB port(s) on it and that should work. As far as working with OS 5, others have said it shouldn't be a problem.
    Originally posted by randyg

I'm guessing that you never had a 1G Treo, and that you didn't read my posting! The first Treo came out, but to sync with a Mac you had to go back to a previous version of Palm Desktop, then they finally put out a Handspring version of the newer Palm Desktop that you could sync with. I'm just hoping that's not the case this time!
    What are you talking about? The 180 and 270 sync'd great with the Mac (i had both) there was a trick you had to do to the Palm release of the software to convince it not to try to flash the OS, but that was well documented here and elsewhere. The Handspring version of the software, and more recent versions of Palm should work 100% with any USB-based palm.

I was using the Treo 270 constantly with iSync and the Palm tools before I went Bluetooth. Not familiar with the software you mentioned but the core stuff works great in OS 9 and OS X.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    catch up dulinor, you just said the same thing i did, you even quoted me!
    I too am NOW syncing perfectly fine with my 180g. one of the reasons i held off for OS X was that you originally had to use an older version of the Palm Desktop to set-up and then sync the 1g Treo. Then, HS put out their version of the newer Palm Desktop that would work with OS 9/X. But now that we know the fix we don't have to use the HS version.
    Yeah I read that, but I'm disputing that there were ever any real problems with the Treos. I was syncing with the mac from the very first pre-release Treo 180's. I don't see any reason to expect a problem this time either. USB standards have shaken out a *lot* these days - even new Sonys are working fine out of the box. (Relegating "The Missing Sync" to more hardware-specific features, rather than pure sync compatibility)
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    actually, you are correct, the problem wasn't with the Treo itself, but with the ability to sync with the CURRENT (at that time) Palm Desktop. Here is what i said initially:
    The first Treo came out, but to sync with a Mac you had to go back to a previous version of Palm Desktop, then they finally put out a Handspring version of the newer Palm Desktop that you could sync with.
    Is it a little clearer now? It was a problem with the Palm Desktop for Mac, and what they provided was a non-current version with the original Treo. I had been using the newer version to sync with my Visor, and had to go back. It seems like it took forever for them to put out the update, but maybe that was just me being impatient.

My original point was, i just hope there is not a problem syncing the new OS 5 with the Mac. To which others replied that there currently is not a problem, so there should not be a problem with the 600
    In the following thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...nual+cdma.html

you will find a link to download the Treo 600 User Manual. The Sprint version indicates it is compatible with OS 9 and X.
    At Mission Possible SF event today someone asked about rumors that HS was going to discontinue Mac support. The Product Manager said that the was a Mac user and that support would continue, and Jeff Hawkins also concurred.
    There are unresolved installation issues with Treo 600 users who are upgrading their Palm Desktop on 10.2.8 or 10.3 (Panther).

The workaround is to completely remove all Palm software, including user data and preference files, BEFORE trying to install. Otherwise, many users are getting an install error which prevents them from installing Palm Desktop.

Also, you should know that there is NO photo conduit for OSX as there is on Windows. Not that anyone would want to save these crappy Treo 600 pictures, but as a last resort you can email them to yourself from the phone if needed.
    Last edited by paulhorne; 10/22/2003 at 04:19 PM.
    Hi. No problems syncing my new 600 to my PM G4 using 10.2.6 and PD 4.1. I tried to sync to my powerbook G3 but PD 4.1 wouldn't HotSync running 9.2.2. I upgraded my PB from 9.2.2 to 10.2 then 10.2.8 and it syncs great.

Buy it and don't worry