Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Just spoke to my gal at handspring again.....

here is another update

1) Treo 600 GSM (Orange) will be launching within a week

2) Treo 600 CDMA on sprint will be available on/before October 10th (as I indicated earlier as the GSM release date)

3) Treo 600 GSM release in the US will be in the thrid week of october.

4) T-Mobile is still not signed up as official carrier... but unlocked, the GSM version will work.

For those of you in NY, (I can't say anything)... but look for a news release sooner than later, you might be able to see/play-with this little toy a bit early (smile and wink)

All the other specs were essentially the same as I noted earlier.

Any questions, please do let me know....

-Mike
    Thanks for the info, Mike! You DA MAN!!!

Do you happen to know if Best Buy is indeed, not going to carry the Treo 600? And if not, where else they will be available? I plan to get an unlocked GSM version and would love to get a nice juicy extended warranty to go with it.

Also, did she confirm any pricing information? There are rumors that a single unlocked GSM Treo 600 without a contract could cost a hell of a LOT more than $500.

Why does Orange get it first??? NO FAIR!
    Last edited by RayUSA; 09/16/2003 at 01:56 PM.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    For those of you in NY, (I can't say anything)... but look for a news release sooner than later, you might be able to see/play-with this little toy a bit early (smile and wink)
    News release from who (HS, Sprint)???
    go.digital
    Just see/play with it? Or buy the thing?

One Excited New Yorker
    Great info! Thanks!!

Too bad T-Mobile is not on board yet I will probably get the unlocked GSM version. My only concern is that you would get less or inferior software with the generic GSM version than a unit that is customized for use for T-Mobile. For example, with all the email options available, a carrier-specific version might come with an email client that works with a service that the carrier is offering. This client might not be available to you if you buy a generic unit.
    sorry for being so dense, want might happen in ny?
    Ben
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I can tell you from experience the only difference between a T-Mobile branded Treo and an unlocked one is the little logo printed on the front, and i am ONLY speaking of my experience with the 1G Treo. They don't add any specific sw to it that you can't get on any other Treo.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Originally posted by ben klieger
    sorry for being so dense, want might happen in ny?
    I've heard some sort of conference or something is going on in NY, they're going to demo the Treo there. A friend of mine is going. He refused to tell me more.... *cry*

The only conference I could find anything about online myself that's this month and might have PDA stuff was TECHXNY (which is already in progress). So far Palm did introduce some new accessories there, including a wireless infrared keyboard, a multifunction stylus and a plug-and-play, 1.3 megapixel camera card from what news I've seen so far. Maybe there's a chance this could be the event? Dunno.... although that's definately "sooner than later" considering the conference is only going for a few more days. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Unless somebody else knows of some other event that's more likely. I couldn't find any.
    Last edited by jennyfur; 09/16/2003 at 03:18 PM.
    Originally posted by randyg
    I can tell you from experience the only difference between a T-Mobile branded Treo and an unlocked one is the little logo printed on the front, and i am ONLY speaking of my experience with the 1G Treo. They don't add any specific sw to it that you can't get on any other Treo.
    Yes, I'm aware of that for existing Treo's. However, Handspring is going in the direction of carrier-specific customization of phones to improve the out-of-the-box experience. In addition, there have been about four email solutions announced for the Treo 600, which one would come with a particular device might depend on the carrier. With all this, I wonder if a T-Mobile-customized version would contain any additional or different software.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    T-Mobile was about the last provider (US) to jump on the 1G Treo bandwagon, and even then they were very mediocre about it since they have that funky little phone thing of their own, the "Sidekick". I was told by one of their tech guys that as of yet they have no plans to support the new Treo. I'd like to think this would change, but you never know with them. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything from them soon. I'm thinking i'll wait til the whole November deadline to take my number with me and then get the 600 reduced with a contract somewhere else. It's ashame you have to leave your current provider to get a good deal on a phone, i guess it's a bigger shame that they haven't figured that part out yet!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    T-Mobile was about the last provider (US) to jump on the 1G Treo bandwagon, and even then they were very mediocre about it since they have that funky little phone thing of their own, the "Sidekick". I was told by one of their tech guys that as of yet they have no plans to support the new Treo. I'd like to think this would change, but you never know with them. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything from them soon. I'm thinking i'll wait til the whole November deadline to take my number with me and then get the 600 reduced with a contract somewhere else. It's ashame you have to leave your current provider to get a good deal on a phone, i guess it's a bigger shame that they haven't figured that part out yet!
    Actually, Handspring sold Treo 180's on the T-Mobile network (then VoiceStream) from day 1. The same goes for 270's. So T-Mobile was supporting the Treo from the beginning. The only other GSM provider that supported it was Cingular. GPRS support was slow for everyone. The only thing that came late was the T-Mobile-branded phones being sold by T-Mobile. Currently they have the second-largest support for existing Treo's after Sprint. It's a shame that they're letting AT&T Wireless launch the 600 while they are not.

Certainly T-Mobile have been more progressive about data services than other US GSM providers. This is currently evidenced by their unlimited data plans and their selling data-intesive devices like the Sidekick. Finally, I think T-Mobile has very good customer service and rates.
    Next time you speak to your handy dandy HS contact, please ask when the Treo will be available up here in the North for us Canadians.

Thank you!
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    Originally posted by jennyfur

I've heard some sort of conference or something is going on in NY, they're going to demo the Treo there. A friend of mine is going. He refused to tell me more.... *cry*

The only conference I could find anything about online myself that's this month and might have PDA stuff was TECHXNY (which is already in progress). So far Palm did introduce some new accessories there, including a wireless infrared keyboard, a multifunction stylus and a plug-and-play, 1.3 megapixel camera card from what news I've seen so far. Maybe there's a chance this could be the event? Dunno.... although that's definately "sooner than later" considering the conference is only going for a few more days. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Unless somebody else knows of some other event that's more likely. I couldn't find any.
    Yeah, I did some poking around and this is probably what WeeBitObsessed was referring to. Here's the link for the conference if anyone else wants to look for hidden nuggets:

http://www.techxny.com
    go.digital
    Well I've kept looking in case there was another expo of sorts happening this month... this one seemed very unlikely to me but Sprint PCS is listed in the exhibitor list (??)

GTC East 2003
    http://www.govtech.net/gtc/?pg=exhibitors&confid=90

Also, it's in Albany, not NYC. Although WeeBit didn't specifiy city or state of NY.

Can you tell I'm really fishing here? LOL
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Just came back from TechXNY and it was HORRIBLE.. The worst exhibition I've ever been too.. EVER. I mean.. the thing was tiny. Palm wasn't there, HSpring wasn't there, MICROSOFT wasn't there, Intel wasn't there.. it was patehtic. Even Dell didni't show up. So.. It's not Tech Ex!
    Anyone work near the Jacob Javits center, and if so, can you drop by and check to see if the Treo 600 is making a showing?
    go.digital
    Originally posted by cue79
    Just came back from TechXNY and it was HORRIBLE.. The worst exhibition I've ever been too.. EVER. I mean.. the thing was tiny. Palm wasn't there, HSpring wasn't there, MICROSOFT wasn't there, Intel wasn't there.. it was patehtic. Even Dell didni't show up. So.. It's not Tech Ex!
    Hmm... both Microsoft and Palm Solutions Group are in the exhibitor list. Not to mention the Palm accessories launches I'd mentioned above were in a news post dated today about TECHXNY.
    http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3078001

Maybe you missed an exhibition hall somewhere?
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed

2) Treo 600 CDMA on sprint will be available on/before October 10th (as I indicated earlier as the GSM release date)
    Tx Mike! That launch date would be exactly one month after Sprint's handset release date on September 10th. Pretty much according to schedule I believe...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm thinking i'll wait til the whole November deadline to take my number with me and then get the 600 reduced with a contract somewhere else. It's ashame you have to leave your current provider to get a good deal on a phone, i guess it's a bigger shame that they haven't figured that part out yet!
    Very true, randyg! Though I am busting at the seams in anticipation of the Treo 600, it will probably end up being November with the WLNP for me too.

Any time I even think about changing something on my Sprint service, they want to slap me with another 1-year contract. How rude!

I wonder just how much an unlocked, generic GSM Treo 600 with no contract will cost?

Things are starting to heat up again! The Treo 600 will be here soon! Woo-hoo!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  20.    #20  
    Its cute to watch all you kids try and guess what I was talking about.... so I'll give yall another hint... if you are hunting..... hunt only in NYC and only for the last week in september....

There is going to be a NICE sized 600 party here in NYC. Sadly, its invitation only, but.... yours truly has one.

So I'll fill you guys in as soon as it goes down.

Also: I spoke to her about canada, sorry no info there.

I also asked about unlocked GSM and they said............

should be under $500. She couldn't tell me who might be selling it though, so I, a simple T-mobile user, also doesn't know where to get one with a nice juicy warrantee.

I'll know more soon.

Please let me know if you have specific questions.

-Mike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast