Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There will be a launch today in the UK in London.

Three companies will be present - I'm assuming Orange, Handspring & Palm.

Hopefully phones in the stores soon after that...
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon
    There will be a launch today in the UK in London.

Three companies will be present - I'm assuming Orange, Handspring & Palm.

Hopefully phones in the stores soon after that...
    Source for this information? A link?

No mention of this on Handspring's UK site. Where did you get this information?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    I'm afraid I can't tell you how I know.
    This isn't rumour or speculation though - it's well sourced info
    I'm afraid I can't tell you how I know.
    This isn't rumour or speculation though - it's well sourced info
    Well if you can't disclose the source, then your information is useless and you probably shouldn't have said anything at all. If you're an "insider" and are violating a non-disclosure agreement of some kind, then why are you bothering to post such information?

Until you can provide a valid source for this information and how people can obtain the device, you have zero credibility. Sources for "well-sourced" information don't have to be concealed.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    with the time difference you should be able to tell us something soon? the day is almost over there!
    Ben
    Inspector Gadget,

I think you might be being a bit too harsh. We all know that postings on sites like this don't have to adhere to the highest journalistic standards--if it did, it would be far less interesting. Many a rumor that was started here with conceiled sources turned about to be true.

We certainly don't want to curb such postings. People can make up their own minds and take things with a grain of salt.

My concern is that it's getting prettly late in the UK and there is nothing that's been reported. An evening event to introduce a product? We shall see.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/16/2003 at 08:44 AM.
    Originally posted by silverado
    Ispector Gadget,

I think you might be being a bit too harsh. We all know that postings on sites like this don't have to adhere to the highest journalistic standards--if it did, it would be far less interesting. Many a rumor that was started here with conceiled sources turned about to be true.

We certainly don't want to curb such postings. People can make up their own minds and take things with a grain of salt.

My concern is that it's getting prettly late in the UK and there is nothing that's been reported. An evening event to introduce a product? We shall see.
    I respectfully disagree. ConfusedVorlon went out of his/her way to say that the information was credible (and NOT a rumor) after being asked for a source.

If it was one of those "I heard from so & so" posts, then I would understand the lack of a source...But to declare that the device is being launched TODAY and not provide any backup information sounds a little too "cloak and dagger" to me.

If he can post such a powerful headline statement about the Treo 600 launch, I have every right to question it, given that no one else has made such a statement.

I would think that most would agree with me. (Wishful thinking aside.)
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

I'm with Silverado on this one...

Hey, everybody gets to post here....regardless of his/her credentials. Take it for what it's worth, rather than assaulting the individual.
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    I'm with Silverado on this one...

Hey, everybody gets to post here....regardless of his/her credentials. Take it for what it's worth, rather than assaulting the individual.
    How is it an assault? I asked the hard questions that rumor posters should always be asked.

I took the statement for what it was was...non-credible...Until it is proven otherwise.

Why am I being told that I'm too harsh for asking the questions that anyone would and SHOULD ask, given such a headline statement?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Well, as of 2:00 PM GMT, nothing is being reported on the BBC's technology section yet. Obviously, the Beeb isn't necessarily the first or last word on the topic, but there you go . . .

I'm perfectly capable of making up my own mind about confusedvorlon's credibility, or lack thereof.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

How is it an assault? I asked the hard questions that rumor posters should always be asked.

I took the statement for what it was was...non-credible...Until it is proven otherwise.

Why am I being told that I'm too harsh for asking the questions that anyone would and SHOULD ask, given such a headline statement?
    My "harsh" remark referred to the suggestion that ConfusedVorlon should not have posted and that he has zero credibility. I didn't mean you are harsh to the poster, but rather harsh in your judgment of whether he should post and how much credibility he has based only on lack of source.

Of course, this is your take on this and others would view it more or less harshly.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/16/2003 at 09:59 AM.
    Just spoke to Orange Direct, Orange Business stores, and Orange reltail stores...all three said not to expect the handset for another couple of weeks. Most of the staff haven't even had training on it yet i was told. Don't know how reliable your sources are but who knows....stranger things have happened in this industry.
    I hadn't seen this posting until now! Someone has already seen a Treo 600 at an Orange store in the UK!

Article discussions do not get much attention!
  14.    #14  
    So - I still believe there will be an event today.

Only time will tell.

But when I am shown to be right I will ask again whether you would have preferred for me to remain silent.

Of course if I am wrong then I will have egg on my face!
    So - I still believe there will be an event today.

Only time will tell.

But when I am shown to be right I will ask again whether you would have preferred for me to remain silent.

Of course if I am wrong then I will have egg on my face!
    Preferred you to remain silent? No, my preference is that if something is only a rumor and can't be backed up with evidence then simply say so. Your passing off a rumor as a fact without any kind of follow-up information is what I questioned. But I think by now that point has been made.

Concerning whether you should have posted or not: I said IF you were an "insider" that was under a non-disclosure agreement, you should not have posted. Others have taken my statements as attacks and run with them.

If my questions were too critical or my statements concerning credibility were perceived to be too harsh, I apologize to you. But my questions still remain. If you can't answer them, then you are correct..."Only time will tell"...as I will only believe you when you can point to a credible source.

Lots of people have had to recant statements that they have made concerning future announcements. I am no exception. So please understand that just because I question you, it's nothing personal. I question everything until I have proof.

If that's too harsh for some people's taste...well...they'll just have to get over it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Just called the store in Birmingham where the posting said the guy had "seen" it. It is only a demo phone. But at least it is not a dummy. The sales guy told me they are the only store in the UK with a demo. No phones in stock until October 1st.....estimated price 299 with contract. It's looking like egg on the face so far.....
  17.    #17  
    Just to be clear though - my hopefully for when phones will come out was pure hope.

I still stand by the launch!
    For what it's worth, a Tuesday launch sounds a lot more believable than a Friday one, as TC says its "sources" have said. Who launches a product at the end of the week?

However, given the time of day in the UK, I must say that the liklihood of something happening today is getting slimmer.
    On a forum like this, revealing sources is not a necessity. As a matter of fact it may hinder you from getting any more info from them if they're revealed. Our credibility is based solely on our record for the number of times our scoops come out to be true. That's really all we can hold each other to.

Kevin
    A lot of companies don't make material announcements during trading hours.

Perhaps Handspring is planning on announcing the launch of the Treo 600, but is waiting for the close of the US stock market.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast