Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Oye! Well I went to Compusa today to check out the UX50 and DAMNED that thing is small! I mean it's really tiny and compact. I compared the form factor to my Treo 300 and it was basically the same size being a little thinner, bit longer, and basically just as wide. I'm actually quite astonished with the size of the UX50. It doesn't have any protruding antenna and felt quite comfortable and sleek in my pocket, more so than the Treo300. Spec-wise the UX50 is obviously in another class than the Treo600. It has a beautiful 480x320 rez screen, all be it rather small, but still larger than the Treo 300. It also has dual wireless (wifi+BT), a camera, and a pretty decent and spacious thumbboard. The one thing it doesn't have is a phone, but the overall design and hardware is soo impressive IMO that I'm having serious second thoughts about the Treo600. The UX50 + BT phone (possibly SE T608 if it ever comes out from Sprint) would be incredible combo. The biggest negative is the $700 sticker price, which is an astronomical price. I normally wouldn't even consider spending so much on a handheld, but once you have the UX in you hand it sorta takes control of you! I swear it took every ounce of will power I had for me not grab that baby right then and there! I've always thought I'ld never go back to a two device solution agian, but now I don't know anymore. I told myself I'ld wait to see the Treo600 first hand before I make a decision, but I'm definitely not so sure about taking the Treo600 plunge anymore. What do ya'll think? Has anyone else whose played around with the UX50 come back with a similar reaction? I just feel like I'ld have to sacrifice too much hardware-wise with the Treo600 given what other options are out there. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/13/2003 at 11:33 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    GFUNK

I played with it this week at CompUSA as well, and while the form factor is tremendous..... IT CANNOT BE USED WITHOUT A STYLUS, even with a little movement, bus or subway, it would be very hard to use most of its apps.

Additionaly, there is no phone and the layout is really very weak, with many "deadspaces" created in applications due to the landscape format... I have a brother who works for sony and I could have gotten it for less that 400 and i dont even want it.

I will say though... that the camera on is very good so I'm not sure why HS couldn't due a better job with their cameras

also, they keyboard on the ux50 sucks!

-M
    Last edited by WeeBitObsessed; 09/14/2003 at 12:35 AM.
  3. purpleX
    so somebody finally realizes next version of PDA will be even thinner and more capable than current generation. And that treo is already somewhat behind before even seeing the light of days yet.

Let's hope h4100 or Wanda won't be as advance as the hype, or you'll really think treo is an antique.
    Again,

I agree with purple that the 600 will already be "behind" before it even comes out, ultimately I love the form factor and I'm sure they will improve it.

However, I think that it will better than adequately do everything I need it to. So, despite its obvious imperfections/flaws I'll be getting one as soon as I can.

Go Go Gagedet 600

-M
  5.    #5  
    WeeBitObsessed, thanks for your comments. You bring up some good points about the lack of full thumbboard support on the UX50. You obviously would know more about that since you had a chance to use the Treo600. However, I overall found the UX thumbboard much more easier to use than the Treo. Also, regarding the camera, I was under the impression it has the same 310k pixels rez found on the Z71, NX70, and Treo600? Maybe its the screen that makes the pics look better? Anyway, the biggest thing that annoys me about the UX50 is the lack of portrait support. I don't think I would be comfortable holding it in 'landscape' mode 24/7. That and the pirce are definite turn-offs...but again the form factor of thing is just sooo amazing!

*sigh* The truth is that I probably wouldn't even be considering the UX50 if Handspring had included a 320x320 screen! I know I've been harping over issue since the Treo600 was unveiled, but I just can't seem to get past it especially after seeing devices like the UX. If HS had just offered a 'higher end' Treo600 with the high rez screen, I would have gladly paid any premium they charged. But alas they didn't.......

Btw, you could have gotten the UX50 for $400 bucks! That's an awesome deal!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    so somebody finally realizes next version of PDA will be even thinner and more capable than current generation. And that treo is already somewhat behind before even seeing the light of days yet.

Let's hope h4100 or Wanda won't be as advance as the hype, or you'll really think treo is an antique.
    Ska, I wasn't just talking about the hardware specs but also the form factor of the device. What shocked me most about the UX was the design and smallness of the thing. It's absolutely amazing to me the amount of features Sony crammed into the thing. It made my Treo300 look bulky and ancient in comparision. It basically just looks very cool and svlet...very business like. There were simply no comprable PPC's there that could even come close in design. Everything else was a brick. If the Wanda for h4100 want to compete, they had better address pocketability and design as well.

7.    #7  
    Just to emphasize more the size of the UX, checkout the pic below of the UX50 in relation to the SE T68i.

http://www.palmspirit.com/gros_ux50.php3

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Amazing to see a Treo 600 devotee get enamoured by a Sony gadget.

Number One, Handspring took way too long to come up with the Treo 600. If any other Treo like phone had offered us 320 x 320 with a form factor like the 600 (which is so easy to copy) we'd all be there.

The 320 x 320 gives us bragging rights.

What is happening now is that the UX50 is really attacking the laptop market.

Last time I flew to Boston to do a Powerpoint presentation, for example, lugging a 5 lb laptop became a drag. I would have loved to take the UX 50.

Handspring's window has been closing by the month. Certainly buying a 160x160 product for $ 500 will look stupid very soon.

But still I think the 600 will get my money. A two product kludge is hard to manage. If I also buy the UX it would be as a laptop replacement, whereas the 600 is a super phone.

But everything is converging.
    I hate bringing back the whole screen-res thing... but I have to say, looking at the pics in this thread
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=3
    (especially this one: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...&postid=236505)

I feel that it will be more than adequate. For me it isn't so much about $$ as it is about battery life.

Even though the res is technically the same as the 300, it it simply much better so far as I can tell. And "Luckyone" seems to say it looks fine in sunlight.

I just couldn't stand how microscopic some of the commands (ie Home) were on the ux50 to small to be useful. but I did like the jog wheel design on the bottom.

-M
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Number One, Handspring took way too long to come up with the Treo 600. If any other Treo like phone had offered us 320 x 320 with a form factor like the 600 (which is so easy to copy) we'd all be there.
    Definatly, if someone were to come out with a treo 600 like device with a 320x320 screen, then handspring took too long.

But no one has.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    GFUNK

also, they keyboard on the ux50 sucks!

-M
    How the heck does the keyboard suck on the UX50!? It has one of the best keyboards I have ever seen built into a palm pilot. The buttons are bigger and they are raised on the "waves" of the keyboard. I can almost type on it like I can type on a normal keyboard. Its much easier. I don't know what type of UX50 you have been seeing, but the ones I have played with has keyboards that kick ****.

Yoyo
    The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    --Bob Dole
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I think the UX50 does look very nice. However.. every single picture I've seen of it, the screen looks washed out. These are both indoor and outdoor shots. One of the reviews I saw said that the screen is the dimmest they've seen.

Also.. 2 devices.. yuck. What kind of integrtion do you get out of that?

Right now, I don't see anything better out there that is a combo device like the 600.

I'm sure that will change at some point in the future. I don't like the SGH-I500 - the flip has NO SCREEN, I'm too spoiled seeing a caller-id pic full screen with my 300 to want a flip with no external color LCD. Not to mention seeing IM's pop up without opening it, or alarms/reminders.
    I played yesterday with UX50 at local CompUSA and I thought that keyboard was good but too large. Why too large you would ask? Well, I felt that my fingers need to travel too much between lets say typing the numbers and pressing the space key. Probably I could get used to it. Except for that I thought keyboard is very good.

Regarding the screen, it is little bit dim, but it is bright enough. Címon how bright do you really need it???

I am also starting to think about going back to two devices. I think I tried almost all devices out there (currently on Treo 300). Why do I think about going to two devices?
    1. Best of breed, small Bluetooth phone, great all around multimedia PDA UX50
    2. WiFi, at home I do not really need a phone network, my WiFi is much faster UX50
    3. Outside home, I can keep phone in my pocket or on the belt and use the PDA to access the Internet without touching the phone
    4. I can still get all the notifications that I need on the phone (like email etc.), review them and if action is needed pull the PDA out
    5. I can use same Bluetooth phone with my laptop to access the internet when needed

However, I am not 100% convinced that this setup is right for me. I would still have two devices which might or might not be huge disadvantage. I guess I would have to try it to see it. So, what it comes down to, is that Treo 600 to be a killer device should have:

1. Bettter screen (been discussed here to death :-)
    2. Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth
    3. Multimedia capabilities

Anybody else think about this the same way I do?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    CompUSA visit today. 2 UX50's left.

The UX50 :

Amazing screen (not super bright but amazing)
    Amazing keyboard (almost feels too big!)
    Amazing look and feel
    The camera was pretty good!
    Speaker was very very quiet

Felt too heavy, a little big to always carry. If I have a phone and the UX50 I'll leave the UX50 behind at times.

But I wonder of the Treo 600 will have the "I live here...this is me...my whole life is here and I carry all my documents here while on the road"

I know that when I use my Treo 300 I feel the only value of it is its phone, its Web browsing. I never look at pictures of the family, never listen to MP3s on the road.

The problem here is that technology is moving too slowly at HandSpring and that Sony did a genius move away from the NX open design.

And knowing Sony in 2 months the UX60 will have a 1.3 Meg camera and so on.

Whereas the Treo 600 will not have a better camera of high res for 2 years.

And $500 is with this new lousy economy is really like $ 1500 was in discretionary the wife won't ask income...so if one bites at a Treo 600 then what... ...one blew the load on a low res device but...

Now personally I do not travel anywhere as much as before so really I do not need a lot of the Treo 2 in 1...I almost need a tiny phone and a UX50 to brag and to feel I'm in Palm luxury...like my life is in a device like a UX50 feels like oh yeah luxury.

And in 3 months the UX50 will be $ 500...already TechData sells it for $ 615 with free shipping and no tax.
    Originally posted by devexpert
    However, I am not 100% convinced that this setup is right for me. I would still have two devices which might or might not be huge disadvantage. I guess I would have to try it to see it. So, what it comes down to, is that Treo 600 to be a killer device should have:

1. Bettter screen (been discussed here to death :-)
    2. Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth
    3. Multimedia capabilities

Anybody else think about this the same way I do?
    I agree with u 100%. I was seriously considering the UX50 as well, but $700 is way too much for me.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Hey I like the UX50, mostly. But for $200 more, and no phone it isn't worth it. Add the expense of the phone too and it'll be a lot more than I want to pay.

I actually don't even know where to look for a phone to attach to the UX.. how do you do that??? How much more would that run?

As for adding Blue tooth & wifi on the 600... and the 320x320 screen.. how much more cost would that have added?

I still don't see another combo device out in the next month. I really do not want to carry around 2 devices. I want to be able to get AIM messages, see who's calling and see alerts/alarms/reminders without opening it.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Funny WE are comparing the Treo 600 with the UX.

Really we should not.

Someone who is considering a big screen with 320 x 320 or 320 x 480 would have the right to compare.

For crying out loud, in the world of screens we are like the Huns eating pork out of a fire on a stick!

As for my son for exmaple he's buying an HP Ipaq h1935 320x 240 for $ 199 plus he will add an SDIO WIFI card for $99.

So you see while we have been pondering and pondering the world moved.

(By the way the UX weighs about the same as the Treo 600)

Bottom line, I'm gonna wait. I'm gonna wait for the UX to go down in price, I'm gonna wait till the Treo has 320 x 320, I'm gonna wait till Nokia announces God knows what.

But I will tell you this:

We are close to the point where the essential features we are looking for are mastered in a device: good battery, good resolution, Word and Excel (dataviz) compatibility, nice browsing...and the Treo 600 is one way. The other way might be a Bluetooth phone and a sleek palm.
  18. purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

It basically just looks very cool and svlet...very business like. There were simply no comprable PPC's there that could even come close in design. Everything else was a brick. If the Wanda for h4100 want to compete, they had better address pocketability and design as well.
    Everything PPC is a brick, and everything POS is svelete to you.

UX 50 = 9.52 (4.00"x 3.40"x 0.70") 6.2oz.
    iPaq h1940 = 6.71 (4.46"x 2.75"x 0.50") 4.23 oz. (single slot, BT)
    iPaq 2200 = 8.3 (4.54" x 3.00" x 0.61") 5.1oz. (dul slots, BT)
    mio 558 = 8.29 (4.88" x2.83" x 0.6") 6 oz. (dual slots, dual wireless)

Does UX have interesting keyboard design ? yes
    Does UX screen offer something compelling? maybe

Is it svelte? not in this dimension, maybe in your universe where math and pocketability seem to operate in different logic.
    Shall we argue the functionality of UX now? I wonder how far you are going to play the camera, keyboard and screen gambit.

You know all my standard counter argument.

---------------
    my point, with each passing month both PDA and simple phone will become so small that carrying two pieces might offer far greater flexibility with only at a fraction of more weight and volume.

The introduction of 3 type of wireless in small package, it's entirely new game altogether.

and no, thumboard/keyboard impact is not as big as you like to think.

PS. Tengo for POS is about to go beta and I wonder how fast that will render thumboard obsolete. I am laughing hard already.
    I've thought about going back to a two-device solution ever since T-Mo had an unlimited data plan. The UX50, Tapwave and T3 really make the Treo look old, spec-wise. Nevertheless, IMO, the one-piece solution still wins. Right now, the 600 is the best thing out there. It's OS5, and will do just about everything I need. Hi-res Broswing and document viewing/editing are two sacrifices I'm prepared to make to stay with a converged device.
    [i] Hi-res Broswing and document viewing/editing are two sacrifices I'm prepared to make to stay with a converged device. [/B]
    Does that mean that you will not be able to view/edit attachments on the T600?
    please can someone clarify
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast