Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by njchris

It's obvious you don't own and never have owned a Treo or Palm Device with thumboard.
    For that matter, to my knowledge, PurpleX has never answered the question of which device(s) he/she/they use, despite being asked the question many times.
  2.    #42  
    Originally posted by njchris
    I think the UX50 does look very nice. However.. every single picture I've seen of it, the screen looks washed out. These are both indoor and outdoor shots. One of the reviews I saw said that the screen is the dimmest they've seen.
    If you're referring to the review by PalmSolo on Geek.com, he has totally changed his opinion in his followup review:

http://geek.com/pdageek/pdamain.htm

As you can see, the UX50 screen brightness is on par with the h2215. It may not be as bright as the Treo600, but I don't think anything will be. But at least we know the UX50 will be viewable outdoors!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #43  
    Originally posted by purpleX

Everything PPC is a brick, and everything POS is svelete to you.

UX 50 = 9.52 (4.00"x 3.40"x 0.70") 6.2oz.
    iPaq h1940 = 6.71 (4.46"x 2.75"x 0.50") 4.23 oz. (single slot, BT)
    iPaq 2200 = 8.3 (4.54" x 3.00" x 0.61") 5.1oz. (dul slots, BT)
    mio 558 = 8.29 (4.88" x2.83" x 0.6") 6 oz. (dual slots, dual wireless)

Does UX have interesting keyboard design ? yes
    Does UX screen offer something compelling? maybe

Is it svelte? not in this dimension, maybe in your universe where math and pocketability seem to operate in different logic.
    Shall we argue the functionality of UX now? I wonder how far you are going to play the camera, keyboard and screen gambit.

You know all my standard counter argument.
    Ska, you don't think the UX50 is small?! Oye! Please, that is one argrument that is soo absurd I'm ashamed you actually tried to make it. That's pretty outrageous even for you! C'mon, I know you seen these pics on Geek.com comparing the UX50 in relation to the h2215, but take a look at it again:

http://geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Se...0915021759.htm

Folded up the UX is astonishingly svlet. You should really go to a store and hold it in your hand to get a 1st hand experience instead of harping on that tired and spec-formulaic arguement you love. In terms of pure design and coolness, none of your PPC brethren comes even close! Heck, judging by the number of former PPC users on the UX forum at cliesource, many of your former compadres woudl agree with me!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #44  
    Originally posted by silverado

Interesting. This makes the resolution basically no better than the Treo 600, since the 220 is because the screen is rectangular. With no data entry mechanism except the numeric keypad and lack of touch screen, this excludes this device for me. More generally, this would have to appeal only to people who are for the most part "spectators" of email.
    Well, every single M$ smartphone 2002/2003 has this same rez including the SPV, SP2, Mio8380 etc. Thus, if you look at it this way, no M$ smartphone has a screenie advantage over the Treo600. However, there are rumblings that M$ will lift this barrier in the future and various UIQ smartphones like the P800 and A920 do use the 208 x 320 pixel rez screenie. Btw, all Series 60 phones have a 176x208 pixels rez. But the Treo600 straddles two worlds, both handheld and phone, and thsu to compare it to only smartphone offerings is unrealistic. Eventually, HS must release the Treo 800 with 320x320 screenie + BT on OS 6. When will that be? 6 months?

Too bad there is no POS smartphone with VG to further prove my point. But as of now tengo I am predicting all this from tengo popularity in PPC.
    What's this Ska? More blatherring? Haven't you heard of this?

I have no problem on those area. Adding words with scribing works nicely. Predictive is not something that POS user can quickly accept as added convinient since POS never has this. POS input method are still largely primitive and mostly depend on static keys or gesture typing.
    What are you talking about? There are various predictive text options for PalmOS like QuickWrite and TextComplete. The reason people here prefer thumbbaords b/c they value dedicated data entry area more than any of these options, which btw will still be available if you want...even you vaunted Tengo! Also Ska, you'll be the 1st clone to proclaim the virtues of the hp 4100 series thumbboard when that comes out!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/16/2003 at 03:50 AM.

People have been talking about the UX50...but the thing doesnt have a damn phone...its an amazing machine, but it lacks a phone...one of he main reasons people choose the Treo is the combo of phone and palm os. also can someone explain to me the point of having OS 5 without high res...personally i think low res is good because its compatiable with more apps...although i am not sure if low res works with hi res handhelds. in the case that it does...i have to say that no hi res was a drawback. i'm not as much worried about res as i am wireless connectivity...everything i do is based around wireless web....question to s gruby...will the 600 work with WModem? i use it to access my email every once in awhile...i cant get any third party mail software to work....im completely dead with out my mail...sooo those are my quetions...otherwise im 100% with the 600!!
    Originally posted by IcYPLaYa21
    People have been talking about the UX50...but the thing doesnt have a damn phone...its an amazing machine, but it lacks a phone...one of he main reasons people choose the Treo is the combo of phone and palm os. also can someone explain to me the point of having OS 5 without high res...personally i think low res is good because its compatiable with more apps...although i am not sure if low res works with hi res handhelds. in the case that it does...i have to say that no hi res was a drawback. i'm not as much worried about res as i am wireless connectivity...everything i do is based around wireless web....question to s gruby...will the 600 work with WModem? i use it to access my email every once in awhile...i cant get any third party mail software to work....im completely dead with out my mail...sooo those are my quetions...otherwise im 100% with the 600!!
    As far as we can tell, WirelessModem has been compatible with the Treo 600 from the first day WirelessModem was available (over a year ago) due to its architecture. If you are not using the Mac OS X driver, then it will work fine (we believe) today. We will have an update available for the Mac OS X driver before the Treo 600 is widely available.
    thanks...and nicce work on the modem...though itd be more elegant if there was a USB driver available for windows and support on the linux platform.
    Icy
    300 w/ Sprint
    will be
    600 w/ Sprint
    thanks...and nicce work on the modem...though itd be more elegant if there was a USB driver available for windows and support on the linux platform.
    I'm still waiting for all those people that have offered to write a Windows driver to actually write one. I write Macintosh and Palm OS software. As for Linux, people have told me that it already works.
  9. purpleX
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Folded up the UX is astonishingly svlet. You should really go to a store and hold it in your hand to get a 1st hand experience instead of harping on that tired and spec-formulaic arguement you love.
    I tell you what. You do your "astonishingly svlet' gag, and I'll pull top of the line PPC.

-candidate #1.
    Genio e800.
    Remember the e500? It comes back with a vengence.
    VGA resolution, wireless, dual slot, 128MB.

http://www.pocketpctools.com/modules...iewtopic&t=573

-Candidate #2.
    How about h1910 form factor with dual wireless? Meet h4155
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...r=asc&start=50

you can even have that dubious thumboard on top of the dual wireless if you want with 4355.

So you think that UX50 will survive against those two candidate at $700?

I tell you what. You do your "astonishingly svlet' gag, and I'll pull top of the line PPC.

-candidate #1.
    Genio e800.

-Candidate #2.

you can even have that dubious thumboard on top of the dual wireless if you want with 4355.

u ***** those are ppcs....of course theyre better than some sh*t company thats main focus is audio visual....compare those to the 600 and they cant even be in the same state....t600 is soo much better than those...
    Icy
    300 w/ Sprint
    will be
    600 w/ Sprint
    Is it just me or does ICY not have ANY board etiquette!

Watch it, at least pretend to keep things civil!
    sorry but he gets me soo mad...imma click the ignore button lol...sorry bout that tho
    Icy
    300 w/ Sprint
    will be
    600 w/ Sprint

t600 is soo much better than those...
    define "better". I'm a dyed-in-the-wool microsoft hater but to say the t600 is better than those two ppc's reveals an obvious bias against ppcs and for palm devices, a bias that I share but I try not to let cloud my judgement. Having said that, I want to have both: IMHO the t600 would serve as a better phone, comparable pda/organizer, and worse handheld computer that I carry with me everywhere ... but slap a BT SDIO card in and couple it with a fast, large-screen pda (ppc, linux, palm, whatever) with BT and I've got a secondary device that I can carry with me as a choose if I need/want a richer computing/networking experience than the t600 can possibly give me.

my 2c,

mark
    Good=elegant
    elegant=efficient
    treo=efficent

therefore one can logically point out

treo=elegant
    and so we come to the conclusion that
    treo=good
    Icy
    300 w/ Sprint
    will be
    600 w/ Sprint
  15. purpleX
    that was your big logical explanation?

lemme try one of the classic one.

I am male,
    Napoleon is male,

therefore I am napoleon.

treo is neither efficient, nor elegant. sorry.
    that was your big logical explanation?

lemme try one of the classic one.

I am male,
    Napoleon is male,

therefore I am napoleon.

treo is neither efficient, nor elegant. sorry.
    Well, you heard it here first, folks: purpleX is, in fact, Napoleon (is that the french dictator, or the pig? Just trying to figure out if you are long-dead or fictional).
    Originally posted by guessed

Well, you heard it here first, folks: purpleX is, in fact, Napoleon (is that the french dictator, or the pig? Just trying to figure out if you are long-dead or fictional).
    You guys are hilarious!!
    Actually - I think the screen is fine for the Treo 600 - looks nice and bright and easy to read in a small form factor.

As for Wi-Fi, just add SDIO card when they come out, there are several in the works I have been looking at.

And Bluetooth? I am not really concerned about Bluetooth at the moment. My info will all me in the Treo 600 for my email and my phone. Ok, syncing - but you will have to be near your computer anyway, so how hard is it to cradle it?
  19. purpleX
    ear set, GPS.
  20.    #60  

-candidate #1.
    Genio e800.

-Candidate #2.

Okay SKA, lets play your game! The rumored e805 has a VGA screen and rumored dual wirless...great? But where's the thumbboard? The h4155 has the same problem: dual wireless and no thumbboard. What about the h4355 you say? It has dual wireless and a thumbboard? Yeah, but its the Fugly cousin of the G1000! Stalinistic PPC aspect ratio screws up yet another model! YUK! Furthermore, none of these models have an integrated camera or flip cover mechanism. I'm not saying the UX is perfect, it doesn't have dual expansion like the above PPC models. But size-wise for the number of specs that Sony packed into it, it very impressive and cooler looking than anything from the PPC side. Even the e805 looks like another boring clone IMO...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/17/2003 at 11:14 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast